#1 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

I say he should start at DH vs righties. Some seem to hate this guy, but he's still quite good at the role he was intended to have, which was just to hit righties.

The competition for 1B and DH is between Reynolds, Davis, and Betemit. Davis can also play left and I suppose Wilson can too, but no thanks.

Against righties this year:

Betemit: .868
Davis: .770
Reynolds: .640

And it's not really a fluke with Wilson either as his last two years have been almost the same.

So he's obviously not the guy you want to sit vs righties.

Have Davis play 1B and LF with Reynolds getting the starts and Davis is in left and Reynolds will of course always start vs lefties.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

Good post, glad to see this.

As Camden Depot recently pointed out (http://baltimorespor....php?f=3&t=1979), Betemit and Reynolds can form a nice platoon.

As you point out, with Thome's injury, there also ab's available at DH vs. RHP.

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:24 AM

Betemit will play 1st or DH vs RHP and he should. Davis will get the other starting spot(DH/1B) and Reynolds will be on the bench. I actually expect Betemit to play at 1B over Davis though it really doesn't matter much. Anyway, Reynolds is the biggest loser here. Expect him to play against LHP with occasional starts against RHP.

#4 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:23 AM

This gives us a great opportunity to go with the hot hand. I imagine Manny won't play against every RHP, just most. Thome coming back will create a real crunch.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

As I said last night, this move really strengthens the bench. I like the options Buck has now.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

Betemit should start against all righties at either 1B or DH. No starts against lefties.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

Thome coming back will create a real crunch.

Thome is probably not coming back, so that's not a concern. And if he does, it won't be until September, so no crunch.

#8 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thome is probably not coming back, so that's not a concern. And if he does, it won't be until September, so no crunch.

I meant a playing time crunch, not a roster crunch. From what I've read, Thome should be back early in September. Of course, you never really know.

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Betemit should start against all righties at either 1B or DH. No starts against lefties.

That's my thought as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=