303 replies to this topic

#61 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:06 AM

We're gonna need to chip with a TE and/or keep a back in to help on Watt. Additional protection, of course, means less guys running routes so we'll need precision in the passing game. Play action should be huge.

Whaaa, no. Why not just leave James Hurst to play him one on one with no help. On the left and right side!

#62 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

I gotta say the gushing over this guy when he made a standard tackle was pretty obnoxious.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#63 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:24 AM

We're gonna need to chip with a TE and/or keep a back in to help on Watt. Additional protection, of course, means less guys running routes so we'll need precision in the passing game. Play action should be huge.

Whaaa, no. Why not just leave James Hurst to play him one on one with no help. On the left and right side!

Unreal.

I'm not sure what was worse, gameplan or execution.

Gameplan was poor because we didn't run a screen till right before the 2 minute warning and it was our longest play of the day at the time. Screens were by far our best plays yesterday, yet they were barely used.

OTOH, if your OLine is gettin beat up and your consistently losing at the LOS, it doesn't matter how good your gameplan is. Even "vanilla" plays can work and work well with proper execution; proper execution begins up front. The last 2 weeks our OLine has played very poorly, losing at the point of attack on almost every snap.

We straight got our asses kicked. Need to regroup and get a little help now.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#64 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

PFF graded Watt +15.2 in Sunday's game.
@gabefergy

#65 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

Yes lets keep extra men into block when the defense is already only rushing 4 and 5 and dropping 6 and 7 into coverage. When you're 5 OL cant block 5, let alone 4, guys on the other team your usually going to be in deep shit. They just beat us at the point of attack. End of story. This OL still can be suspect and it obviously gets worse next week if Wagner and Monroe are out.

#66 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:59 PM

The OL need to work in tandem better and that starts with sliding protection better. That is Zuttah and Flaccos responsibility.  Yanda was supposed to be helping out Hurst with Watt but Hurst couldnt even force Watt to go under him and back inside. He kept getting beat around the edge or simply bullrushed. 

#67 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

Yes lets keep extra men into block when the defense is already only rushing 4 and 5 and dropping 6 and 7 into coverage. When you're 5 OL cant block 5, let alone 4, guys on the other team you're usually going to be in deep shit.  They just beat us at the point of attack. End of story. This OL still can be suspect and it obviously gets worse next week if Wagner and Monroe are out. 

Yeah, I agree.  I don't think there were scheme, playcall, or coaching decisions that could have led the Ravens to winning this game.  I think with some different adjustments it perhaps could have not been quite as bad, but there was no way we are winning or even keeping this game close with the way the offensive line was beaten and the way Joe was throwing.

Unless your "what if" starts with the individual lineman winning their matchups more often and Joe being able to put the ball where he wanted to much more often, then the Ravens still lose and lose bad yesterday.  Doesn't let the coaches off the hook for not having a better plan or making better adjustments, but even if we knew every single defensive call the Texans were going to make ahead of time I think we still lose simply because their defensive players outplayed our offensive players consistently from beginning to end.

#68 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

Can someone explain how this Andre Johnson thing is working? I know the deal: he can search for a trade and if he doesn't find one, the team will cut him so he can be a FA. But... why does he have to look for a trade? Isn't it not really in his or his agent's wheelhouse to negotiate a trade that the Texans would be comfortable with? What happens if he does negotiate a pretty fair trade that would get the Texans a player who doesn't play a position of need? What team would agree to a trade if they know they can hold out to bid on him in FA? Seems like a terrible misalignment of incentives and a great way for the Texans not to get anything in return when he eventually ends up a FA.

Why wouldn't the team just ask for a no-trade list and start calling teams that Johnson is okay with and negotiating a trade for him themselves, like they would with any other player they're looking to trade?

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:10 PM

Hoyer joining the Texans...

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:41 PM

Texans landed Cecil Shorts, and Wilfork is also joining.  Nice D-line.

#71 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

Texans to appear on Hard Knocks

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

Grantland: Houston Gets Sacked: Why Foster’s Injury Is the Last Thing It Needed

http://grantland.com...hing-it-needed/

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

FOX Sports; O'Brien 'not ready' to make decision at quarterback for Texans

http://www.foxsports...r-texans-081315

#74 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

Is anyone watching this season on Hard Knocks?

@pjd0014

#75 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

I thought the first episode was good. O'Brien should be entertaining.

#76 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

Okay, good to know. I haven't watched it yet but I'm looking forward to it after the Texans and Redskins fought the other day.

@pjd0014

#77 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

I've been avoiding having to watch my skins look more like a circus than usual :(
@JeremyMStrain

#78 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

Okay, good to know. I haven't watched it yet but I'm looking forward to it after the Texans and Redskins fought the other day.

Yeah you get a nice look at the brawl and the precursor to it.

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hoyer the announced starter.

#80 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts