Photo

So, who replaces Britton in the rotation?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Yea, for me, I am really skeptical that the plasma injections are all he needed.

They are basically all natural cortisone. Great for swelling but not a ton else.
@JeremyMStrain

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

Also, and this goes back to Chris's point...is he doing something extra with another part of his body to keep his velocity up and if so, is he a risk of injuring something else?

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

They are basically all natural cortisone. Great for swelling but not a ton else.

Yep..alleviate pain but does it fix the issue? Is it more of a band aid?

#24 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Well, I would say BMat but honestly, I think I would like to see him get another few starts in AAA.

So, can you make a minor trade? Pick up Lowe for a few starts? Go with a BP by committee, bringing up a guy like Berken or Eveland?

I think it was Roch how reported that the O's do not have any interest in Lowe - even though I think he'd be a smart pickup right now. Groundball pitcher who's been plagued by bad luck and poor command every few starts. I think it'd be worth figuring out if he has anything left - couldn't hurt relative to what we've been getting out of our #5 spot in the rotation.

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

They seemed to do the trick for Colon, no?

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

I think it was Roch how reported that the O's do not have any interest in Lowe - even though I think he'd be a smart pickup right now. Groundball pitcher who's been plagued by bad luck and poor command every few starts. I think it'd be worth figuring out if he has anything left - couldn't hurt relative to what we've been getting out of our #5 spot in the rotation.

Yea I saw that too...just wonder if things will change now.

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

Yep..alleviate pain but does it fix the issue? Is it more of a band aid?

It is supposed to heal tissue - http://www.scientifi... ... ine-injury

And as I said above - it seemed to work on Colon - http://prptreatments... ... p-therapy/

Everyone's different, so I'm not saying that my belief is that Britton is fully healthy, but I do think the plasma therapy is a potential game changer based on what I've read. We just don't know yet.

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

And as I said above - it seemed to work on Colon - http://prptreatments... ... p-therapy/

Everyone's different, so I'm not saying that my belief is that Britton is fully healthy, but I do think the plasma therapy is a potential game changer based on what I've read. We just don't know yet.

Thanks Ricker. In addition to these, there is additional information in the Britton thread, including:

http://brittghiroli....g-brittons-prp/

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

That's fair to say...we just don't know yet.

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

They seemed to do the trick for Colon, no?

Well yes and no. Colon had stem cell treatment in addition to the prp and the 2 together is what worked. Pretty sure the stem cell treatment did the heavy lifting and the prp helped that procedure move quicklybut its hard to know since both are still experimental and the stem cell is borderline illegal in sports.
@JeremyMStrain

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

Well yes and no. Colon had stem cell treatment in addition to the prp and the 2 together is what worked. Pretty sure the stem cell treatment did the heavy lifting and the pro helped that procedure move quicklybut its hard to know since both are still experimental and the stem cell is borderline illegal in sports.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they get away with it given it's HGH component. I mean, I guess if it's in the off-season and it's specifically for an injury, and they won't be tested, then they can't really do anything about it. But I bet MLB can't like it too much. If it turns out that this stuff is going to be the Tommy John for labrums, it will be huge for the game. *That's obviously a HUGE if.

#32 Bob Klein

Bob Klein
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

I would like to offer a modest proposal. Please bear with me.

I am happy, finally, to see some promising pitching performances from a few of our (former) phenom young starting pitchers. I hope it's not too early to start thinking they're on the brink of becoming legitimate major league starters. Unfortunately, some of them still have one obstacle to overcome: the first inning. I have a suggestion.

There needs to be a new class of pitcher called the 'relief starter.' For example, whenever Tillman, Britton, Matusz, etc. is scheduled to start a game, Jim Johnson would pitch the first inning instead of the last. He would be the relief starter. While Jim is pitching, our starter in name only will be pitching a simulated first inning in the bullpen. (We could even have a simulated umpire in the pen who will call every pitch a strike, to boost the pitcher's confidence. Even if every pitch hits somebody in the stands.) After Johnson retires the side in the first, our real starting pitcher can take over in the second inning, and finish the game with a shutout.

I do not mean to minimize the contributions of our young pseudo-starters, but they clearly share a bad case of stage fright or something similar, and this suggestion is merely intended to help them overcome it.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

I would like to offer a modest proposal. Please bear with me.

I am happy, finally, to see some promising pitching performances from a few of our (former) phenom young starting pitchers. I hope it's not too early to start thinking they're on the brink of becoming legitimate major league starters. Unfortunately, some of them still have one obstacle to overcome: the first inning. I have a suggestion.

There needs to be a new class of pitcher called the 'relief starter.' For example, whenever Tillman, Britton, Matusz, etc. is scheduled to start a game, Jim Johnson would pitch the first inning instead of the last. He would be the relief starter. While Jim is pitching, our starter in name only will be pitching a simulated first inning in the bullpen. (We could even have a simulated umpire in the pen who will call every pitch a strike, to boost the pitcher's confidence. Even if every pitch hits somebody in the stands.) After Johnson retires the side in the first, our real starting pitcher can take over in the second inning, and finish the game with a shutout.

I do not mean to minimize the contributions of our young pseudo-starters, but they clearly share a bad case of stage fright or something similar, and this suggestion is merely intended to help them overcome it.

Don't think we ever see this, but I don't think it that crazy.

In '89, I remember Frank Robinson had several games where he would have games set-up like a Spring Training game, and use several relievers at a time (usually Williamson, Hickey, and Thurmond I think), each going 3 innings.

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure how they get away with it given it's HGH component. I mean, I guess if it's in the off-season and it's specifically for an injury, and they won't be tested, then they can't really do anything about it. But I bet MLB can't like it too much. If it turns out that this stuff is going to be the Tommy John for labrums, it will be huge for the game. *That's obviously a HUGE if.

Can't be. Labrums don't heal because they are cartilage. Could help the symptoms a lot though.
@JeremyMStrain

#35 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Yea, for me, I am really skeptical that the plasma injections are all he needed.

If it is, I know what I'm asking the doctor for on Monday.
@JeremyMStrain

#36 Bob Klein

Bob Klein
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

I would like to renew my proposal.

If I had only one chance I wish I could go to the mound and tell Tillman if he ever gives up a run in the first inning again his next team will be in the Harundale Little League. How hard can it be????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=