#42 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

Mario 3 is the best video game ever?

huh?

It was def  the first HYPED game ever. But FAR from the best game ever. Zelda 1 will probably always hold that title just because of how game changing it was at the time.

@JeremyMStrain

#43 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

Is that the one that had Dana Plato in it?

Yeah and it was night trap I tried to pull it out of my memory :)
  • Nigel Tufnel likes this
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#44 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

Yeah I think I tried to split my EA games between the two, I still have NHL 94 and 95 on the SNES, I think I did Madden and NBA on the Genesis.

Oh man. NHL games on the Genesis were the tits . You got a raw deal there. IMO the best basketball game of the generation was Coach Ks college basketball by EA. I don't even think it came out on the SNES

#45 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:53 AM

Oh man. NHL games on the Genesis were the tits . You got a raw deal there. IMO the best basketball game of the generation was Coach Ks college basketball by EA. I don't even think it came out on the SNES

I did end up getting 94 on both systems cause Genesis hockey was legit, but I switched over to SNES after 94. I think it's cause the SNES was mine, but the genesis belonged to my brothers, so I had to fight them for time on it.

I remember that one, that was like the precursor to them going NBA Live. I had Tony Larussa Baseball on Genesis in '92 or '93 I think too. It was one of the last EA Baseball games

@JeremyMStrain

#46 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Sega CD had a few good games on it. There was that nightscape game that was rated R lol and I like the RPG lunar serious. Being twelve again!

I have fond memories of the Spider-Man game for it. And Sewer Shark of course.

Mario >>> Sonic. Sonic was fun but it just doesn't hold up the way all the Mario games do. Super Mario World being the best of the bunch.

#47 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Just so we are all clear, no video game will beat Ocarina of Time.

That game is absolutely perfect.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

Just so we are all clear, no video game will beat Ocarina of Time.

That game is absolutely perfect.

Oh I get it, you are a couple years younger so you are N64 generation ;)

Link to the Past was better than Ocarina. Yep. I said it. (Although I do own Ocarina on 3DS now too)

• BobPhelan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#49 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

Just so we are all clear, no video game will beat Ocarina of Time.   That game is absolutely perfect.
  Oh I get it, you are a couple years younger so you are N64 generation ;)   Link to the Past was better than Ocarina. Yep. I said it. (Although I do own Ocarina on 3DS now too)
Link to the Past is in the conversation for GOAT.

#50 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:13 AM

Mario 3 is the best video game ever?

huh?

3 was an excellent game. Here is the issue though. It was the first truly great Mario. The original was huge because of the step up it was from everything we had seen before. It's a good game, but it's nothing special. 2 wasn't even a true Mario game. It was an import of a Japanese game called Doki Doki Panic. The true Super Mario 2 was considered too hard for Americans and was never released here until sometime later. Super Mario 3 raised the bar with the level designs, power ups, secrets, and general platforming. It pushed the original Nintendo to it's limits. I do think it's the original Nintendo game I would want to own if I could just have one. That said, Super Mario World only improved on it as have many games since.

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

I'm fine with Link to the Past being #2 in the pantheon.

• JeremyStrain likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

An ugly, blocky, jaggedy ass N64 game can't be the GOAT. Link to the Past is my vote for best Zelda though from what I've seen of Breath of the Wild I eventually might change my mind on that. Haven't played much of it myself. What I have played is amazing

#53 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

I have fond memories of the Spider-Man game for it. And Sewer Shark of course.

Mario >>> Sonic. Sonic was fun but it just doesn't hold up the way all the Mario games do. Super Mario World being the best of the bunch.

I believe this may be the first serious disagreement I've had with you regarding childhood nostalgia. :)

Mario is fine.  I don't hate him.  

Sonic had and still has better level designs, better music, is more creative and is just more fun to play.  Starlight Zone is pretty high up there for best video game theme.

• BobPhelan and Mike in STL like this

#54 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

I liked sonic but Mario was better I thought. The Commodore 64 really planned out my gaming childhood. They had games like Pirates gold where you could put your flag on the landscape and take over places. It also had a game called wasteland that you could find people to join your team. I think my favorite all time game was The Thirld World war on sega cd. Of course I am a history buff but you could be any country and try to take over the world. It was a fun game my best friend at the time would play all the time even after other systems came out.
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#55 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:50 AM

I have fond memories of the Spider-Man game for it. And Sewer Shark of course. Mario >>> Sonic. Sonic was fun but it just doesn't hold up the way all the Mario games do. Super Mario World being the best of the bunch.
  I believe this may be the first serious disagreement I've had with you regarding childhood nostalgia. :)   Mario is fine.  I don't hate him.     Sonic had and still has better level designs, better music, is more creative and is just more fun to play.  Starlight Zone is pretty high up there for best video game theme.
I'll give you level design and music. Have to disagree on creativity and fun. Mario has continued to evolve and innovate (64 to Sunshine to Galaxy to Odyssey) and hasn't missed a beat. When was Sonic last relevant or good? It's like the tortoise and the hare, Sonic zoomed his way to the front as the new hotness but now he's just getting lapped. Sonic is a cooler character though, Tales is better than Luigi, Knuckles better than Wario, etc.
  • glenn__davis likes this

#56 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

I'll give you level design and music. Have to disagree on creativity and fun. Mario has continued to evolve and innovate (64 to Sunshine to Galaxy to Odyssey) and hasn't missed a beat. When was Sonic last relevant or good? It's like the tortoise and the hare, Sonic zoomed his way to the front as the new hotness but now he's just getting lapped. Sonic is a cooler character though, Tales is better than Luigi, Knuckles better than Wario, etc.

Oh, I don't disagree that Mario is better now.  A lot of that has to do with Sega's demise from the hardware world, they clearly just don't put as much effort into the Sonic games now.

But in terms of 2D platforming, give me Sonic all day.  

• BobPhelan likes this

#57 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:11 AM

I believe this may be the first serious disagreement I've had with you regarding childhood nostalgia. :)

Mario is fine. I don't hate him.

Sonic had and still has better level designs, better music, is more creative and is just more fun to play. Starlight Zone is pretty high up there for best video game theme.

I've never been trolled so hard in my life. Legit blowing a gasket over here
  • glenn__davis likes this

#58 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

Super Techmo Bowl was the best game ever. Barry Sanders was the bomb.

https://youtu.be/2PJrmu0ZtUQ

#59 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

I would gladly pay another $30 for this if Super Tecmo Bowl was on it.

#60 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

It's actually Tecmo Super Bowl, not Super Tecmo Bowl.

I actually had no idea it even came out for the SNES.  I played it forever on the original NES though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=