Makes a lot of sense.

#82 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

Chris Mack? 

I'm sure they'll ask, as every top school does. It's just something that I/Xavier fans expect with every vacancy. They'll ask about Holtmann too, I bet. 

If it was another year, I'd be worried. But Xavier should easily be a top 20 team and Trevon Blueitt just decided to return to school. Talent-wise/on paper, it's Mack's best team/chance for a Final Four. Much less worried about this coaching opening (given the details) than IU, for example.

Ohio State is basically in full rebuild-mode. Also the reason, like Rob said above, why I don't see Sean Miller wanted to return to his midwest roots at this time, given Arizona's talent and preseason expectations.

#83 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

I think it's a top 3 job in the conference.

But like everyone has said, the timing absolutely sucks (unless they of course have a verbal/hush-hush agreement with a coach already). 

Top 4 or 5. 

Indiana

Mich St

Mich 

You can argue it's higher than Maryland but I dont see how it's above the 3 I listed. 

#84 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

Top 4 or 5. 

Indiana

Mich St

Mich 

You can argue it's higher than Maryland but I dont see how it's above the 3 I listed. 

I don't see any reason for Michigan to be higher.

I think you can lump Mich, OSU and MD in any order...Wisky can something to say about that too.

#85 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

I'm sure they'll ask, as every top school does. It's just something that I/Xavier fans expect with every vacancy. They'll ask about Holtmann too, I bet. 

If it was another year, I'd be worried. But Xavier should easily be a top 20 team and Trevon Blueitt just decided to return to school. Talent-wise/on paper, it's Mack's best team/chance for a Final Four. Much less worried about this coaching opening (given the details) than IU, for example.

Ohio State is basically in full rebuild-mode. Also the reason, like Rob said above, why I don't see Sean Miller wanted to return to his midwest roots at this time, given Arizona's talent and preseason expectations.

Fair.

I just really like him, so I mention his name every time. 

@beginthebegin71

#86 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

LOL @ Brad Stevens being on that list btw.

#87 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

Yeah zero chance of that.

#88 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

Yeah zero chance of that.

I am not sure if Stevens will ever come back to college but if he does, I have to think its only for one of those top 5 jobs.  Maybe Indiana as well but even that I tend to doubt. 

#89 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

I kind of feel the same way about Ohio State that I felt about Texas when we had the Shaka debate. Now, I'll admit I'm biased to my youth when I paid attention to this as if it was the most important thing on earth. Back in the 80s, neither Texas or Ohio State were particularly relevant in hoops. Gary recruiting Jimmy Jackson did wonders there (Elite Eight in 1991), and Scoonie Penn following O'Brien there from BC to form that backcourt with Michael Redd gave them some brief relevance (Final Four in 1999) for a few years, but it wasn't until The Conley/Oden/Cook class that they really became a major player, and made two Final Fours and I think I remember an Elite eight in there too (Don't quote me on that though)

I just don't see this job like I see the Indiana job a few months ago. Maybe I'm wrong. 

@beginthebegin71

#90 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

I kind of feel the same way about Ohio State that I felt about Texas when we had the Shaka debate. Now, I'll admit I'm biased to my youth when I paid attention to this as if it was the most important thing on earth. Back in the 80s, neither Texas or Ohio State were particularly relevant in hoops. Gary recruiting Jimmy Jackson did wonders there (Elite Eight in 1991), and Scoonie Penn following O'Brien there from BC to form that backcourt with Michael Redd gave them some brief relevance (Final Four in 1999) for a few years, but it wasn't until The Conley/Oden/Cook class that they really became a major player, and made two Final Fours and I think I remember an Elite eight in there too (Don't quote me on that though)

I just don't see this job like I see the Indiana job a few months ago. Maybe I'm wrong. 

OSU has money...that's it.

If you are talking purely about basketball and recruiting base, its not the job MD is.

But the money factor is enormous.

#91 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

OSU has money...that's it.

If you are talking purely about basketball and recruiting base, its not the job MD is.

But the money factor is enormous.

Fair enough. 

When I think "elite Basketball schools", whatever that means, I never think of Ohio State. 

@beginthebegin71

#92 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

Fair enough. 

When I think "elite Basketball schools", whatever that means, I never think of Ohio State. 

Yea, not even close.

If I think of top basketball teams at football schools, OSU doesn't come to mind immediately either...I think of Florida and Michigan first.

#93 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

Yea, not even close.

If I think of top basketball teams at football schools, OSU doesn't come to mind immediately either...I think of Florida and Michigan first.

No question. 

@beginthebegin71

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

SI: Top replacement options for Thad Matta at Ohio State

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:06 PM

BSL: In a world where every Big Ten job became open tomorrow, where would MD place on the hierarchy of those openings?

DeCourcy: Behind Indiana and Ohio State, and possibly Michigan. If they built a practice gym they maybe could climb past the two football powers.

Phillips: I’d say Maryland is safely in the top half of the Big Ten jobs hierarchy for men’s basketball. I don’t want to give a firm number because this sort of thing is very fluid. But Maryland has a tremendous basketball legacy, a great fanbase, quality facilities and a location that enables them to recruit very strong locally. Not a lot of Big Ten programs can match all of those traits.

http://baltimorespor...scott-phillips/

#96 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:13 AM

Jeff Goodman's pick for the new OSU coach was Chris Mack but then he switched it overnight to Butler's Chris Holtmann.

#97 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

https://twitter.com/...227282936635393

#98 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

If Chris Mack went to OSU for a couple of years and didn't like the job, would Xavier welcome a...

...Return of the Mack?

No?

Ok.

I'll see myself out.

#99 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:44 AM

Tony Bradley signs with an agent.

Looks like the Heels are getting a couple of grad transfers, but nothing that's official news yet. A guy from Pitt -really- wants to come here, but Pitt's trying to block it.

Cam Johnson is now a Tar Heel. It's a matter of when he's eligible, but it's looking like it should be 2017-2018, per sources.

#100 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

Cam Johnson is now a Tar Heel. It's a matter of when he's eligible, but it's looking like it should be 2017-2018, per sources.

As he should be...he GRADUATED.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=