• Please log in to reply
2276 replies to this topic

#2221 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

45-28... 2:13 left in the half.  That's impressive.

#2222 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

Nova, just looks better than Kansas.

They look better than everyone.

@mikeghg

#2223 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:02 PM

Villanova too good.  

#2224 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

Just what we need: another Philadelphia champion.

Maybe I really should jump on the Phillies bandwagon while it is still early.
@DJ_McCann

#2225 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:51 PM

Go Nova in the final.

Michigan cannot be rooted for.

Mo Wagner hits two foot lay ins and acts like hes Michael Jordan.

Screw him. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2226 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

Nova is an offensive machine. One of the best offenses we have seen in a long time.

Basically Golden St-esque

#2227 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:19 PM

I don’t think Duke would have beaten Nova but I feel they were the one team that could because of the fire power they had.

Nova needs to have a cold shooting night and even then, they still probably get into the 70s. Can you outscore them? Michigan has to make 10+ 3s.

#2228 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:28 AM

Did I see that Sister Jean left the crowd with Loyola down 7 with about 1:40 left? Little premature, no? 

I have no problem rooting for Michigan. Maryland doesn't have a rival in conference, and Michigan sure as hell isn't close to being one, so who cares? Gives the conference a little more credence if Michigan wins. I appreciate a team like Michigan who doesn't always get the best players like the the blue bloods do, but still put a great team together. Hard not to envy that when you see the garbage Turgeon puts out the with the solid recruiting classes he's had. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#2229 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:16 AM

Did I see that Sister Jean left the crowd with Loyola down 7 with about 1:40 left? Little premature, no? 

I have no problem rooting for Michigan. Maryland doesn't have a rival in conference, and Michigan sure as hell isn't close to being one, so who cares? Gives the conference a little more credence if Michigan wins. I appreciate a team like Michigan who doesn't always get the best players like the the blue bloods do, but still put a great team together. Hard not to envy that when you see the garbage Turgeon puts out the with the solid recruiting classes he's had. 

Michigan has a recruiting disadvantage?   I had no idea... 

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2230 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:31 AM

Yeah, no brainer hire IMO. He’s been the associate for the last nine years and is one of the top recruiters in the Midwest.

Patient guy.

Would he have had the stature to have been a significant hire target while still an underling?

What do you think the ceiling is re: how attractive X can be as a destination job?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2231 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:07 AM

That’s the Villanova that I’ve been used to for five years...

#2232 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:11 AM

Patient guy.

Would he have had the stature to have been a significant hire target while still an underling?

What do you think the ceiling is re: how attractive X can be as a destination job?

In terms of non-Xavier jobs, yes he’s actually had his fair share of job offers In the last three years. I know for a fact he turned down MTSU this season since he knew he’d be the favorite for Xavier.

People will laugh but the ceiling and goal for Xavier is to become a Villanova type program. There are really only two things holding Xavier back at this point: the lack of a Final Four and a smaller endowment and donor base (than the Dukes, Villanovas, etc) to pull from. Given its history, resources, conference affiliation, and overall commitment to men’s basketball, I already personally consider Xavier a top 25 job in the country.

#2233 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

Xavier is a very strong job.  Was just a number 1 seed.... 3 Elite 8's since 2004, 7 S16's since '04... in a quality conference... have fans who care.

The biggest indictiment one can make on it being a destination job at this point are Mack leaving (his Alma Mater) after being a #1 seed.... leaving presumably for a program he believes has better potential (despite the issues which caused Pitino's dismissal), and this hiring of Steele.

I'm certainly not saying Steele was the wrong hire... Chris is enthusiastic, so that speaks volumes.  He's taking over a program in good shape, and Chris says he's the recruiter... I'm sure he'll have X positioned to have continued success.

Still, most University's which have achieved what X has... would not be hiring a guy that's never been a HC. 

Bet you can't find many 1 seeds which have lost their coach, and even fewer that replaced that departed HC with an Asst.

#2234 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

In terms of non-Xavier jobs, yes he’s actually had his fair share of job offers In the last three years. I know for a fact he turned down MTSU this season since he knew he’d be the favorite for Xavier.

People will laugh but the ceiling and goal for Xavier is to become a Villanova type program. There are really only two things holding Xavier back at this point: the lack of a Final Four and a smaller endowment and donor base (than the Dukes, Villanovas, etc) to pull from. Given its history, resources, conference affiliation, and overall commitment to men’s basketball, I already personally consider Xavier a top 25 job in the country.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't. They aren't that far off.

#2235 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

Xavier is a very strong job. Was just a number 1 seed.... 3 Elite 8's since 2004, 7 S16's since '04... in a quality conference... have fans who care.

The biggest indictiment one can make on it being a destination job at this point are Mack leaving (his Alma Mater) after being a #1 seed.... leaving presumably for a program he believes has better potential (despite the issues which caused Pitino's dismissal), and this hiring of Steele.

I'm certainly not saying Steele was the wrong hire... Chris is enthusiastic, so that speaks volumes. He's taking over a program in good shape, and Chris says he's the recruiter... I'm sure he'll have X positioned to have continued success.

Still, most University's which have achieved what X has... would not be hiring a guy that's never been a HC.

Bet you can't find many 1 seeds which have lost their coach, and even fewer that replaced that departed HC with an Asst.

I still think Xavier is viewed as a stepping stone job.

#2236 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

I still think Xavier is viewed as a stepping stone job.

I personally believe there’s maybe 10 “destination jobs” and really, it’s always going to depend on the actual individual coach we’re discussing since everyone is different.

#2237 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

Xavier is a very strong job. Was just a number 1 seed.... 3 Elite 8's since 2004, 7 S16's since '04... in a quality conference... have fans who care.

I'm certainly not saying Steele was the wrong hire... Chris is enthusiastic, so that speaks volumes. He's taking over a program in good shape, and Chris says he's the recruiter... I'm sure he'll have X positioned to have continued success.

Agree with the majority of what you wrote. Pretty sure he’s the first to leave a 1 seed.

Listen I’m not happy that Mack left. Like you said with him being an alum, it really stings. I think I’m a bit more rational than other X fans in terms of him leaving because I’ve been expecting him going to Louisville since Pitino was canned. Really, it was the one school I was always worried about when it came to him (his wife’s family lives there, only an hour or so drive from Cincy, outrageous men’s basketball budget, etc). There are a lot of Xavier fans who have turned on him. I don’t see myself doing that considering how he was able to elevate the program.

In terms of your point on hiring, I thought there weren’t too many outside viable candidates to be honest. Musselman intrigued me. Had no interest in Porter Moser or Pat Kelsey (X alum). Steele keeps the current team (which should be around top 40 or so) intact and recruiting continuity continues.

For good or bad, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to X when it comes to hiring, especially assistants (namely Miller and Mack). I saw a tweet last week that Xavier, since 1979, has hired six head coaches. Their combined wins total before becoming Xavier head coach is 41. Now that “luck” could certainly change at any time obviously, but I’ll remain optimistic.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2238 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

Michigan has a recruiting disadvantage?   I had no idea... 

Not as big a disadvantage as Loyola-Chicago, or UMBC. But they recruit in basketball worse than MD and have had far more success than MD has. 

I read recently that Michigan's 2018-19 recruiting class is their highest ranked since 2012-13, when they went to the title game as a 4 seed losing to L'Ville. It's only 19th best. Maryland is 12th. We'll see how next year plays out, but Turgeon shows me he can't matchup with the upper echelon teams even when given a recruiting class that puts MD at a #3 preseason rank. I can't remember the last ranked team, or the last decent road win, even home win he's had. Probably when MD beat a down Michigan State team twice a few years ago, that roared back as a 7 seed to go the final four.

I think it's a testament to how good a coach Beiline is. He can take his teams toe to toe with anyone in the country and win. With MD it's almost a guarantee they won't beat a ranked team even with better team on paper. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#2239 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

The Ringer: Villanova’s Offense Is a Death Machine, and It Vaporized Kansas in the Final Four

The Ringer: The Winners and Losers From the Final Four

#2240 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

SI: Villanova or Michigan? Previewing the 2018 National Title Game Matchup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=