#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

Any major sporting event with my favorite teams in it would cause me to fork that money over.

Hell, I would have paid that to go to Game 7 in Wrigley last year to witness history.

I guess now that I think of it that way, I can definitely see people put something like Hamilton up there with those types of events and those people may think I'm dumb to pay that to see a baseball game.

It's all about what makes you happy and what you love.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#22 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

Buying an $800 ticket is one way of proving you have too much money...  ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:53 PM

The price I mentioned is for 2 tickets to be clear.

Some of it is how people spend their money. For instance, Kelly and I don't have a car payment between us nor do we drive much, our rent is quite cheap for what we make, we haven't made any significant furniture or many materialistic purchases, don't pay for really expensive restaurants or hotels, etc. Oh and no kids, nor any plans to have any!

We prioritize experiences.

#24 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:03 AM

The price I mentioned is for 2 tickets to be clear.

Some of it is how people spend their money. For instance, Kelly and I don't have a car payment between us nor do we drive much, our rent is quite cheap for what we make, we haven't made any significant furniture or many materialistic purchases, don't pay for really expensive restaurants or hotels, etc. Oh and no kids, nor any plans to have any!

We prioritize experiences.

Oh, hell... of course you do... 

I've spent $500 for a pair of tickets to a dang car race... so I'm certainly not one to talk about what anybody should or shouldn't pay for tickets...  ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#25 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

To be fair, I’ve spent stupid money on certain things. I’m probably going to WM in New Orleans, and that’s going to be a pretty penny. My wife spends a ton of money on scented wax. SCENTED. WAX. I’m probably getting a Big Green Egg. These are pretty crazy purchases, so heading to New York to see Hamilton…probably wouldn’t even be top 3 on the dumbest purchases I’ve made in the past 24 months (and I haven’t even gotten into the sporting events. I literally drove a day trip up-and-back to Charlotte to see UNC lose to Clemson in the football ACCCG. AND I’D DO IT AGAIN). And it’d be worth it.

I'd tell people to give the soundtrack a chance, though. It's the best soundtrack I've ever heard, period. And that's damn high praise.

#26 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

Coincidentally, Hamilton tickets just went on sale for November and December shows.  $600 later, I have two tickets for a show in December.

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

It was very much worth it!

As an aside, and I'm sure some may think this is absurd or hyperbole, but IMO, Hamilton is one of the great pieces of American art. So up there with the best movies, TV shows, albums, paintings, books, etc. I am not saying it's the best, just simply that it deserves to be mentioned IMO. That's how great it is. 

• The Epic likes this

#28 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

My daughter saw the production in Chicago and loved it.

#29 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

It was very much worth it!

As an aside, and I'm sure some may think this is absurd or hyperbole, but IMO, Hamilton is one of the great pieces of American art. So up there with the best movies, TV shows, albums, paintings, books, etc. I am not saying it's the best, just simply that it deserves to be mentioned IMO. That's how great it is. 

A quick update, since you posted.

1) I stand behind every word I've said in this post. HOWEVER, my wife wasn't as into the soundtrack as I was, so I'm not going to dish out the money for something she's not fully into. I did catch a video taping of the play, and...wow. That's some amazing stuff, and I may see it on my own when it comes to Baltimore. 

2) If I had a list of my top 50 favorite songs, Non-Stop, The Room Where It Happens, and Helpless/Satisfied (which I consider one song dammit) would all be on that list. They're that good. 

• mweb08 and DuffMan like this

#30 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

Yep, the soundtrack itself is fantastic even when compared to traditional music. Like it should be in Pedro's top albums of the teens.
  • The Epic likes this

#31 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

My kids love the soundtrack too!  They have their favorites they want to hear in the van when we are out and about.

• The Epic likes this

#32 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

Seeing Hamilton tonight at the Kennedy Center with my wife, sis and bro in law!

• DJ MC likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=