Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

Browns sold to Jimmy Haslam III http://espn.go.com/n...leveland-browns

If the Browns can get sold for over a $1 billion, wonder how much the Ravens would go for?
@levineps

#2 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Browns were valued at 977 Million by Forbes this year: http://www.forbes.co... ... erycontent

Ravens at 1.08 Billion
http://www.forbes.co... ... erycontent

(100TH POST, SON)

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

The NFL is going to start looking like the Premier League soon; the only people able to afford the clubs will be oil sheikhs and Russian "businessmen".

The most interesting part of this is, of course, that the new majority owner is a Steelers diehard (and I believe I read a former part owner of that team). Browns fans must be conflicted beyond belief.

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

The NFL is going to start looking like the Premier League soon; the only people able to afford the clubs will be oil sheikhs and Russian "businessmen".

The most interesting part of this is, of course, that the new majority owner is a Steelers diehard (and I believe I read a former part owner of that team). Browns fans must be conflicted beyond belief.

Yes, he was a minority owner with the Steelers that's why he was such a fan of them. He also said previously he was a Cowboys and Colts fan. His brother is governor of Tennessee and his company is based in that state. I don't think he has any real ties to Cleveland other than general business interests(his company has locations in 43 states), just wanted to own a team.
@levineps

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

Yes, he was a minority owner with the Steelers that's why he was such a fan of them. He also said previously he was a Cowboys and Colts fan. His brother is governor of Tennessee and his company is based in that state. I don't think he has any real ties to Cleveland other than general business interests(his company has locations in 43 states), just wanted to own a team.

Ah, I had heard only the Steelers' part. I guess it doesn't really matter then.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Richardson getting an MRI, will miss their preseason opener.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

ESPN: Richardson returns to practice
http://espn.go.com/n...es-ahead-opener

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

Despite losing by just 1 to Philadelphia, Cleveland's opener was pretty ugly.

There were some things for Browns fans to like in their 34-27 loss to Cincinnati yesterday.

Weeden was 26-37 for 322 yards, and 2 TD's. Richardson 19 carries for 109 yards, and a TD. Massaquoi had 5 grabs for 90 yards. Ogbonnaya, and Little combined for 11 more receptions.

The Cleveland defense also combined for 6 sacks. Jackson had 3, Hughes 1, Rucker 1, and Parker 1. In addition to his 3 sacks, Jackson also had a pick.

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,556 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Solid defense and Richardson is for real. They're not a good team but they're not pushovers. I see them pulling some upsets.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

ESPN: Mike Holmgren to leave Browns

http://espn.go.com/n...s-sale-official

I'm not sure if he's "retiring" so much as new ownershipw wants their guy and he would return to the NFL if the situation presents itself.

ESPN: Joe Banner joins Browns as CEO

http://espn.go.com/n...kert-likely-out

General manager Tom Heckert's future in Cleveland is uncertain. Banner and Heckert worked together in Philadelphia.

League sources, however, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Heckert is unlikely to return to Cleveland next season.

@levineps

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

ESPN: Evaluating Holmgren's legacy with Browns

http://espn.go.com/b...acy-with-browns
@levineps

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

ESPN: Mike Holmgren might leave early

http://espn.go.com/n...browns-win-more

ESPN: Holmgren always better suited for coaching

http://espn.go.com/b...or-the-sideline
@levineps

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

I wanted to see if anyone else noticed all the empty seats in Cleveland yesterday.

The national media always makes it a point to acknowledge the dog pound and the great Cleveland fans but everytime we play there it seems that they have 15, 000 or more empty seats.
The weather seemed good yesterday, the Browns had a big win and the team they love to hate was in town. Where were the great Brown fans?
@mikeghg

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

I wanted to see if anyone else noticed all the empty seats in Cleveland yesterday.

The national media always makes it a point to acknowledge the dog pound and the great Cleveland fans but everytime we play there it seems that they have 15, 000 or more empty seats.
The weather seemed good yesterday, the Browns had a big win and the team they love to hate was in town. Where were the great Brown fans?

They have rabid fans (or did back in the day) -- I don't think it was quite the same when the team was reincarnated. Gerry Sandusky pointed out how "empty" Cleveland was the whole time he was there and how he could see why LBJ would leave.

Bottomline is when your team is winning 4-6 games every year for a decade plus, the fan support isn't going to be there with some notable exceptions like GB. Really this team hasn't been too relevant since they were let into the league. Check out some Steeler box scores, despite "sellouts" since the 70s, they've had 39k for some games.

I've only been to Cleveland twice and was there briefly a few years ago. I know some deride it but thought it was decent, the R&R HOF was great and Jacobs Field was fun. I didn't get a good sense of decent restaurants and even bars when I was there though. And I thought it seemed more shady at night. But I was out of more comfort zone so that might have played a factor.
@levineps

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

As Orioles fans, it shouldn't be that hard for us to comprehend what we see in Cleveland.
  • Oriole85 likes this

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Tickets on StubHube were going for less than $20 yesterday. My friend and I were about to buy some and make the drive...but didn't.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#17 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

Really wish I knew about how cheap they were.

My brother and I definitely would have driven up.

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

I did think about the Oriole connection but the Oriole fans were called out by the national media many times.

Everytime I hear or read about Brown fans people are quick to tell how rabid they are and how the venue is among the best in the NFL. Their fans are quiet and their stadium is half empty. They kept showing the dog pound yesterday and it was calm.

I know their team has been bad but their fans IMO rank among the bottom of the NFL.
@mikeghg

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

I did think about the Oriole connection but the Oriole fans were called out by the national media many times.

Everytime I hear or read about Brown fans people are quick to tell how rabid they are and how the venue is among the best in the NFL. Their fans are quiet and their stadium is half empty. They kept showing the dog pound yesterday and it was calm.

I know their team has been bad but their fans IMO rank among the bottom of the NFL.

Let's a call a spade a spade here, their fanbase has been demoralized by the teams on-field product. Saying they are the most rabid isn't right, this isn't the 1980s.

Any team that has that kind of record over of 12 years period as we've seen in Baltimore, would have a pretty low fan morale.

The new stadium doesn't have the same character as the old one. I was by it when I was there, looks like your typical new stadium, nothing too special from the outside.
@levineps

#20 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

I think, relatively quietly, the Browns are doing some really good things. Sure they're still at the bottom of the division but they're no push over. If they can have another strong draft it will be very interesting to see if they can make any noise next season.

@AdamWolff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=