97 replies to this topic

#61 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,605 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:08 AM

Would love to learn another language...just don't have the time to do it.

I want my kid learning spanish at a young age though.

The earlier the better, and by them learning it, you'll be able to pick up a lot too.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#62 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

As for the relevance of working out re: weight loss... working out doesn't burn enough calories for it to matter on its own... 

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

I've got one resolution this year to try and better myself:  I want to start flossing every day. 

I've had bouts of a month or two at a time in the past where I've consistently flossed, maybe not every day but more often than not, but I always find some excuse to get out of the habit.  Often as flimsy of excuses as "I ran out of floss and forgot to buy more...for half a year."  This year I'm gonna try to do it every night.

I've got a few other goals, but nothing I'll feel too badly about if I fall short.  I'm actually trying to gain weight, have been lifting with some friends 3X a week for the past couple years, I'm up maybe 10 lb over that time, though certainly not all of it is muscle.  Have a little paunch in the middle that I'd like to trim up with some more cardio, but I'm more interested in trying to bulk up.  Don't have a set goal in mind for a target bodyweight or amount I can lift, but want to go as hard as I can until the summer rolls around.  Two of the three guys I lift with are expecting their first kids early in the summer, so this may be my last consistent chance to workout in a group for a while. 

• DuffMan and Markus like this

#64 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

I've had this idea in my head for a while now about writing a book(journal) of all the marathons I've run so far.   The basic idea would be for it to be a bunch of short stories (recaps) of each race as well as discuss the training leading up to the races (exciting stuff I know) I ran.  I'm kind of embarrassed even mentioning it, but I'm kind of hoping that putting it out there might give myself the little extra nudge I need to get started.

• Markus likes this

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

I've had this idea in my head for a while now about writing a book(journal) of all the marathons I've run so far.   The basic idea would be for it to be a bunch of short stories (recaps) of each race as well as discuss the training leading up to the races (exciting stuff I know) I ran.  I'm kind of embarrassed even mentioning it, but I'm kind of hoping that putting it out there might give myself the little extra nudge I need to get started.

Pretty easy to start your own blog if you wanna kind of ease into it. 

#66 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

I've got one resolution this year to try and better myself:  I want to start flossing every day. 

I've had bouts of a month or two at a time in the past where I've consistently flossed, maybe not every day but more often than not, but I always find some excuse to get out of the habit.  Often as flimsy of excuses as "I ran out of floss and forgot to buy more...for half a year."  This year I'm gonna try to do it every night.

This is one of those things where for me it was just all about adding an extra minute-or-two to my bedtime routine (to include mouthwashing too).  For me, once I got a couple of nights under my belt it was just part of the routine.  And I always get my floss (or those floss sticks, more accurately) at the dollar store.  Can get a tone of them for butt-cheap.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#67 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

This is one of those things where for me it was just all about adding an extra minute-or-two to my bedtime routine (to include mouthwashing too).  For me, once I got a couple of nights under my belt it was just part of the routine.  And I always get my floss (or those floss sticks, more accurately) at the dollar store.  Can get a tone of them for butt-cheap.

For me, I've been better about flossing if I do it a little earlier.  Maybe an hour or two before bed time.  Usually when I go to bed I'm ready to pass out and don't feel like spending another minute or two doing something like flossing.

#68 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

For me I'm hoping 2017 is a continuation of the end of 2016.  Seemingly everything (both professionally and personally) really, really started to come together and I hope that can continue to keep up this year. 

Also hoping to take my running to that next-level this year.  Thought I was ending the year worse off than I wanted but on the 31st I put up a PR 3.5-mile time so that left me encouraged for this year.

Already have a lot to look forward too fun-wise with lots of concerts already slated, 2 Redskins games out here, O's games, etc., etc.

Plus there's the asinine comments I get to make on here to look forward too.

• DuffMan likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#69 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

As for the relevance of working out re: weight loss... working out doesn't burn enough calories for it to matter on its own... the only real relevance is that it's one way to get your metabolism into fat-burning mode... but their are others... intermittent fasting being another way to do it...

Cardio doesn't matter on its own. Resistance training does.

#70 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,889 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

This is one of those things where for me it was just all about adding an extra minute-or-two to my bedtime routine (to include mouthwashing too).  For me, once I got a couple of nights under my belt it was just part of the routine.

Yeah this is basically what I'm hoping to accomplish.  Just force myself to do it for long enough until I get to the point where it no longer feels like extra work and instead is simply part of getting ready for bed.

#71 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

Most people that hang around me know that I have an oral fixation, where I always keep stuff like toothpicks or floss sticks in my mouth almost all of the time. It's a nerve-calming thing. My grandfather used to do it, and I just picked up his habit.

Anyway, my teeth (outside of discoloration from coffee) are fantastic. I always get compliments from the dentist on my teeth. LOL

#72 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

TBH I know nothing about this, so pardon my ignorance. 100% serious question.

Let's say I go just from sitting on my fat ass to running a few miles every other day. Are you saying that I wouldn't lose weight as a result of this?

#73 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

TBH I know nothing about this, so pardon my ignorance. 100% serious question.

Let's say I go just from sitting on my fat ass to running a few miles every other day. Are you saying that I wouldn't lose weight as a result of this?

Yeah. But you'll burn calories while you're running and after a short period following your runs your body will return to burning calories at your regular metabolic rate.

Your body's process of repairing torn muscles after weight training will increase your metabolism throughout the day.
  • The Epic likes this

#74 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,605 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

I'd like to self-publish a book. Maybe this year...we'll see.

• Russ likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#75 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

http://www.runnerswo...your-metabolism

#76 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

http://www.runnerswo...your-metabolism

Don't buy it.

http://www.webmd.com...om-your-workout

#77 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

Don't buy it.

http://www.webmd.com...om-your-workout

What about this?

Tip #2: Get plenty of cardiovascular exercise. There's no getting around it -- the biggest burn comes from cardiovascular exercise, she tells WebMD. That means running, hiking, walking, cycling, taking aerobics classes, dancing, kickboxing, or using cardio machines at a gym, anything that gets your heart rate up.

#78 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:07 PM

You will burn more calories doing 30 mins of cardio vs 30 mins of weight training. I'm not arguing thats wrong or to ignore cardio. The benefit in weight training is after the workout. While your body is repairing the muscles and adding muscle, your metabolism is higher.

#79 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

All forms of exercise raise your basal metabolic rate. Walking won't do it nearly as much, because we evolved to be highly efficient walkers, but its not true to say it doesn't.

#80 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

All forms of exercise raise your basal metabolic rate. Walking won't do it nearly as much, because we evolved to be highly efficient walkers, but its not true to say it doesn't.

While you walk. But not afterwards.

If you want to use cardio only as a weight loss, the best way to do that is HIIT. Interval training.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=