#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

We just challenge each other...Doesn't mean anything per se, but for motivation.

I guess I mean how do you know what each other is doing but I guess the app does that for you?

#23 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

I lost my fitbit, and lost my fitness in the process.

50 pounds in 2017. Possibly more.

#24 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:22 PM

I guess I mean how do you know what each other is doing but I guess the app does that for you?

It shows the "competition" as it goes..

@beginthebegin71

#25 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:22 PM

I lost my fitbit, and lost my fitness in the process.

50 pounds in 2017. Possibly more.

That explains why "Ravens & Heels" (no Orioles, by the way?) never responds to me. 

@beginthebegin71

#26 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

That explains why "Ravens & Heels" (no Orioles, by the way?) never responds to me. 

Long story, but I had an Orioles name on AIM/Yahoo that stopped using. LOL. Ravensandheels kinda stuck and I used it everywhere.

#27 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

I've been wearing the gear s3. Need to find my fitbit.

#28 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

Well, I've dropped 30 lbs since 11/1 without any gizmo-help.... or any real difficulty...eating and drinking whatever I want... I just consume all my calories in a 6-8 hour window.... the name for this is "intermittent fasting"... the idea is that it gets your body to burn fat daily due to the extended period of no caloric intake... 

Outside of my intake window, I rely on stevia-sweetened iced tea with TrueLime added... good thing I like that stuff...

30 lbs down, which is good... but 70 lbs to go... because, um, well, 100 is a nice round number... 

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#29 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

Shack I've been doing the window eating as well.  I read an article about MIT creating a pill that helps you live longer (debatable if its legit or not was the point of the article), but almost every scientist agrees that fasting daily slows down our aging curve.  So I try to eat between 11am and 7pm only each day.  

I haven't really lost any weight because of it though.  Not really trying but I could lose about 10 and be much better off.  

My goal for this year is to get 33% closer to retirement.

Edit: this is the article if anyone is interested http://nymag.com/sci...n-of-youth.html

@fuzydunlop

#30 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

Shack I've been doing the window eating as well.  I read an article about MIT creating a pill that helps you live longer (debatable if its legit or not was the point of the article), but almost every scientist agrees that fasting daily slows down our aging curve.  So I try to eat between 11am and 7pm only each day.  

I haven't really lost any weight because of it though.  Not really trying but I could lose about 10 and be much better off.  

My goal for this year is to get 33% closer to retirement.

Edit: this is the article if anyone is interested http://nymag.com/sci...n-of-youth.html

Do you take in any calories of any kind outside that window?  Beer?  Anything?   If so, that would explain having no weight loss...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#31 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

I try not to. Just water. I only drink on the weekends now, and I use calorie free tonic. My ideal weight is 195ish and I'm at 208. My job doesn't let me get too far from that. I never exercise here, usually I walk everywhere but that's not really possible here. Cutting out sugar really helps to maintain.

@fuzydunlop

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:07 PM

Losing weight is pretty easy to do...if you really want to.

That's the real key though. Gotta have that discipline.

#33 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:17 AM

I try not to. Just water. I only drink on the weekends now, and I use calorie free tonic. My ideal weight is 195ish and I'm at 208. My job doesn't let me get too far from that. I never exercise here, usually I walk everywhere but that's not really possible here. Cutting out sugar really helps to maintain.

My bride lives on fizzy water... I did too, putting a little Iime in it... but I got tired of it and got on the iced tea thing... when we were both doing it, we were going thru 5 or 6 quarts of club soda per day... which adds up... so I got a Sodastream fizzer and the connector that lets me hook it to a 20lb CO2 tank that hides under the counter... the Sodastream people want you to pay $16-$18 for a little CO2 refill that lasts just a little over a week at the rate we were using it... doing it that way ends up costing almost as much as just buying club soda/seltzer at the store... but for $18 (and a little driving) I get the 20 lb CO2 tank filled, and that would last us ~8 months... it was saving me $100/month...

For those who care about using a sweetener, stevia's the only zero-calorie stuff that's not terrible for you... (please forgive if you knew that already, but other folks might not know)... it ain't cheap, but shopping hard for it can make a big price diff... I used to use the liquid stuff, NOW brand... but I'm trying the powder now... 1 teaspoon = 1 C of sugar... 'had to get funny little measuring spoons to acquire the 1/8 tsp I need to fill only half full for a large cup of coffee... (too bad I don't have a coke spoon...)

I refuse to count calories or carbs or otherwise turn eating into some kind of calculation thing... rather, during the non-caloric window, calories are just a binary thing... have to maintain zero calories in order for the metabolic switch to click over and burn fat... just a few M&M's or a half a sandwich won't matter at all weight-wise... but they will matter indirectly because they turn off the burn switch for the next several hours...

#34 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:20 PM

In all seriousness, it's a get healthy year for me... before it's too late.

Same.  I'm really below the american average, but I need to start working out.

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:21 PM

Losing weight is pretty easy to do...if you really want to.

That's the real key though. Gotta have that discipline.

This. When I focus it melts off. My first year of law school I lost 50 pounds in about four months.

The problem is putting it back on and then some lol.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#36 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

The problem is that there is some really good food out there
  • BobPhelan and Mike in STL like this

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:16 PM

The problem is that there is some really good food out there

Yes but it's all about moderation and being able to stay disciplined for a short period of time.

I think most people that are 30+ lbs overweight , especially guys, can lose that in about 2.5-4 months. Keep your calories down and/or exercise. Stay away from sodas (really always should), alcohol and fast food. For me, I also need to minimize carbs. You do those things, the weight will peel off.

#38 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

You don't really need to workout either. I went from 188 to 144 in the 8 months leading up to my wedding just by getting rid of caloric beverages and desserts and just stop eating when I felt full as opposed to stopping when I felt sick. The only exercise I did was sit ups and push ups. Of course that was out the window once the honeymoon hit but I try to keep a happy medium and hover around 170.

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

You don't really need to workout either. I went from 188 to 144 in the 8 months leading up to my wedding just by getting rid of caloric beverages and desserts and just stop eating when I felt full as opposed to stopping when I felt sick. The only exercise I did was sit ups and push ups. Of course that was out the window once the honeymoon hit but I try to keep a happy medium and hover around 170.

Yep..taking away the idea of improving your heart, getting physically stronger, etc...

You don't need to work out to lose weight.  What working out allows you to do is eat more.

Say, for example, you are supposed to eat 1500 calories a day to lose weight.  If you can do a workout and burn 300 calories, then you could eat 1800 calories and be fine.  Or, if you just work out and stick with the 1500 calories, it may help you lose faster.

But yea, its a myth you need to work out if you want to lose weight...it does help speed up the process depending on how you do it though...and, of course, you have the health aspect of things.

• BobPhelan likes this

#40 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

Yep..taking away the idea of improving your heart, getting physically stronger, etc...

You don't need to work out to lose weight.  What working out allows you to do is eat more.

Say, for example, you are supposed to eat 1500 calories a day to lose weight.  If you can do a workout and burn 300 calories, then you could eat 1800 calories and be fine.  Or, if you just work out and stick with the 1500 calories, it may help you lose faster.

But yea, its a myth you need to work out if you want to lose weight...it does help speed up the process depending on how you do it though...and, of course, you have the health aspect of things.

Disagree about the workout thing. Yes, you can lose weight without working out, but you won't look better. You'll still be flabby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=