#1 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

Just posted to Roch's Twitter feed.

Guess we'll be busy with waivers next month?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#2 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,641 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Duquette also said he thinks #orioles have "solutions to some of the issues we have here in the organization'"

https://twitter.com/...421905373556736

Interesting quote...

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,146 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

They can certainly patch some of the major holes with guys available in August, but we can't add any impact players to actually make a difference. The type guys that are available will be useful though and can help eliminate some of the significant weaknesses the team has.

However, we can't add those guys if they aren't willing to take on some salary. Not taking on Blanton's ~$3M to be a decent #4 makes me think that they won't add anybody who is a legit starting player since they won't want to pay them. I think we'll see some bench types brought in if need be, but I don't think we'll be in the market for anyone who will make significant money over the remainder of the season.

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,695 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

No longer buying this guy's (or the team's) lip service.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

Duquette also said he thinks #orioles have "solutions to some of the issues we have here in the organization'"

https://twitter.com/...421905373556736

Interesting quote...

This makes less sense than the one about tearing apart the team.

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,641 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

They can certainly patch some of the major holes with guys available in August, but we can't add any impact players to actually make a difference. The type guys that are available will be useful though and can help eliminate some of the significant weaknesses the team has.

However, we can't add those guys if they aren't willing to take on some salary. Not taking on Blanton's ~$3M to be a decent #4 makes me think that they won't add anybody who is a legit starting player since they won't want to pay them. I think we'll see some bench types brought in if need be, but I don't think we'll be in the market for anyone who will make significant money over the remainder of the season.

I agree, but the quote about fixing the issues of the organization I thought was interesting. If hes talking about deeper rooted issues that is.

You should never buy any GM's lip service. But I'm still relatively high on DD. Aside from giving up a little too much on a couple minor trades I've been pretty happy with the job hes done to this point. I think he has a plan. We'll see what he can do with a full off-season.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,146 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

This makes less sense than the one about tearing apart the team.

I think you can read that as "We think Matusz or Arrieta can pitch better than Blanton in the AL East for the next two months". It's fair to disagree with that statement, but it's not complete nonsense, it has a decent chance of happening. Blanton is, at best, a #4. It's not like we're getting someone like Chen, it'd be more like an improved version of Tommy Hunter.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,397 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Buster Olney:

An early list of possible August trade targets: Beckett, Josh Johnson, Cliff Lee, Giambi, Drew, Soriano, Francoeur, and Jed Lowrie.

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,641 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Some pretty decent options in there...

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,397 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

Some of them certainly wouldn't pass waivers such as Johnson and Lowrie.

#11 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, I agree. I think the fact that DD didn't blink on giving in to certain teams that wanted more for players than they were actually worth (Blanton) should be viewed as a good thing. I also think we did the right thing by not overpaying for Headley right now - we should be able to get a better deal for him during the offseason.

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Blanton will still happen if we stay in the hunt.
@JeremyMStrain

#13 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Blanton will still happen if we stay in the hunt.

I want to know everything you know :lol:

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

I want to know everything you know :lol:

That'd take like 16 seconds ;)

From our end they weren't going to cave and overpay for Blanton because he'd still be around in August.
@JeremyMStrain

#15 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

That'd take like 16 seconds ;)

From our end they weren't going to cave and overpay for Blanton because he'd still be around in August.

Psh, I wasn't talking about Blanton! How about all the other irons in the fire.... ;)

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

I wouldn't go that far, but I was expecting a bit more when he said "Our future is now" and then proceeded to do nothing. That said, I wouldn't have made a move for the sake of it.
@levineps

#17 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

I was just about to post a new thread wondering of Cliff Lee would be available before the Aug 31st deadline. I suspect the O's could get him relatively cheaply if they were willing to pick up his contract. Thoughts?

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

I was just about to post a new thread wondering of Cliff Lee would be available before the Aug 31st deadline. I suspect the O's could get him relatively cheaply if they were willing to pick up his contract. Thoughts?

I think they could've gotten him relatively cheaply at the waiver deadline, I can't see any team taking on his entire contract. He's not getting younger and hasn't exactly had a great season. I'd much rather spread out the wealth than committ so much to one player.
@levineps

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

If you could get Lee relatively cheaply and the Phil's pick up some of his contract, that may be a better option than giving Greinke 6-7 years if he even ends being available.

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,146 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

If you could get Lee relatively cheaply and the Phil's pick up some of his contract, that may be a better option than giving Greinke 6-7 years if he even ends being available.

I can't imagine the Orioles putting a claim in on Lee, but some other team will, and then they'll only be able to negotiate with that one team. Even if my some miracle the O's do put a claim in on Lee, he'd have to get past the entire NL first and then other teams behind the O's like the Red Sox and Blue Jays (if they're still behind us then).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=