#761 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 January 2024 - 08:32 PM

Bruce Feldman reporting that Alabama’s top three candidates are Norvell, DeBoer, and Rees. Announcement could come as soon as tomorrow.
@BSLZackKiesel

#762 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 January 2024 - 08:47 PM

Bruce Feldman reporting that Alabama’s top three candidates are Norvell, DeBoer, and Rees. Announcement could come as soon as tomorrow.

Of those three I'd wager DeBoer would be the choice. Rees doesn't have the resume and I don't know that they were happy enough with the offense this season to want to promote him. Norvell would be a good choice, but the vibe I get is Alabama just isn't that interested. I still wouldn't rule out a "left field" choice who isn't even being discussed right now. It is Alabama, so a lot of coaches you might not otherwise think would want to leave where they are just might do it.

#763 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 10:49 AM

Mike was the OC at Alabama w/ Saban and won a NC there.  He's turned UMD football around and his offense is electric.  I think he could succeed there, but following Saban is daunting!  UMD might have to up the $ to keep Lox.   

Please. 

Florida State. That is a turnaround. 

Lox is doing the minimum for a coach to keep his job, not enough to earn a higher profile one. 

I know the bar for Maryland football is quite low though. That shouldn't be taken into account. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#764 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 January 2024 - 12:19 PM

Norvell just signed a new 8-year contract with Florida State, so he’s off the board for Alabama.
@BSLZackKiesel

#765 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 02:07 PM

Reports are saying Steve Sarkisian is working on an extension with Texas. I don't think he was ever likely to leave there for Alabama, but an extension makes it even more unlikely.

#766 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 January 2024 - 02:16 PM

Looks like it’s DeBoer. Reports he’s in contract negotiations with Alabama.
@BSLZackKiesel

#767 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 02:42 PM

Pretty terrible week for WA football fans....Seahawks fall short of playoffs Sunday, Huskies lose national championship Monday, Pete Carroll fired Wednesday, Kalen DeBoer off to Alabama Friday.

#768 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 03:05 PM

Alex Kirshner

For those keeping score, the order of operations was:
1) Sexton client retires
2) Reporter in Sexton's orbit breaks that news
3) Several Sexton clients get raises while Alabama looks to replace Sexton's client
4) Another Sexton client replaces Sexton's client

Washington and DeBoer were reportedly trying to work out an extension for weeks, but it didn't get done. I doubt it's coincidence. I don't think Sexton knew for certain that Saban would retire (even Saban said he went back-and-forth until the last moment), but you can bet Sexton wanted to have some of his top clients clear of any serious buyout money to go after the AL job. You can also bet Sexton already has a couple clients queued up for Washington as well. He's the guy who operates the controls of the coaching carousel.

#769 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 03:21 PM

Pete Thamel reports DeBoer has told UW officials he's leaving, and a team meeting is scheduled for 1:30 (PT) today.

Despite their depth chart from the national runner-up team getting ravaged, Washington should still be an attractive job. Names like Chris Klieman, Lance Leipold and Jedd Fisch should all be attainable for them. And while I highly doubt it happens, gotta at least mention Pete Carroll's name.

Random thought: If Jonathan Smith had stayed put at Oregon State just a little longer, the UW job could have been his.

#770 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 14 January 2024 - 12:01 PM

Scratch Washington OC Ryan Grubb off the list to be promoted to Huskies head coach. He announced on f.k.a. Twitter he'll be leaving UW (perhaps to join DeBoer at Alabama?). It sounds like he really wanted the HC job but was passed over for someone else, so I think that probably means we'll get news of who it is today. (starting to see a little smoke around Jedd Fisch fwiw)

UPDATE: It does sound like Grubb will join DeBoer's staff at Alabama. Also add Lance Leipold to UW's list....sounds like it's down to him and Fisch.

#771 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 14 January 2024 - 02:56 PM

Scratch Leipold I suppose.

Lance Leipold

The guys come back to campus tomorrow. Can’t wait to get back to work with them in ‘24!! Rock Chalk!!

#772 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 14 January 2024 - 04:28 PM

Sounds like it's Jedd Fisch for Washington.

Jedd Fisch has started telling people at Arizona that he’s accepting the head coaching job at Washington, sources tell @TomLoy247 and me for @247Sports. Arizona has a staff meeting set for 4 PT and a team meeting set for 4:30, per sources.

#773 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 14 January 2024 - 04:33 PM

Sounds like it's Jedd Fisch for Washington.

Arizona, the university, is having huge financial troubles right now, and the athletics department is being affected, so if it comes down to money the Wildcats are not in great shape here. Though with Washington in the Big Ten and Arizona in the Big 12, the prestige edge obviously goes to the Huskies as well.

Makes sense... but Arizona supposed to have a fair amount coming back, and coming in....  might be the Big 12 favorite. 

Not that you make that decision based on one year obviously.

#774 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 14 January 2024 - 04:54 PM

Makes sense... but Arizona supposed to have a fair amount coming back, and coming in....  might be the Big 12 favorite. 

Not that you make that decision based on one year obviously.

Yeah, this is a long game play for him. And maybe not so long with the transfer portal. Wonder if Fifita (QB) and McMillan (WR) go up there with him? But with the financial issues Arizona is having, I think it's a move you have to make.

As for where Arizona goes, with the aforementioned finances in mind, I think they're not getting another power conference HC. They'll have to go G5 or coordinator. A name to keep an eye on is San Jose St HC Brent Brennan. He's done very well at a hard place to win and has been a West Coast lifer, including a season on the Arizona staff.

#775 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 12:05 AM

As for where Arizona goes, with the aforementioned finances in mind, I think they're not getting another power conference HC. They'll have to go G5 or coordinator. A name to keep an eye on is San Jose St HC Brent Brennan. He's done very well at a hard place to win and has been a West Coast lifer, including a season on the Arizona staff.

Bruce Feldman reports Brennan has indeed emerged as the leading candidate for Arizona.

#776 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 12:11 AM

South Alabama HC Kane Wommack appears set to join Kalen DeBoer’s staff at Alabama as defensive coordinator. That would open up another FBS head coaching position.

#777 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 12:07 PM

Bruce Feldman reports Brennan has indeed emerged as the leading candidate for Arizona.

It's Brennan. Pretty good hire by Arizona under the circumstances.

#778 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 12:16 PM

Here's an update on where the 2023-24 carousel stands, with Jim Harbaugh still keeping things in limbo.

Alabama - Kalen DeBoer

Arizona - Brent Brennan
Boise State - Spencer Danielson

Boston College - Bill O’Brien

Buffalo - Pete Lembo

Duke - Manny Diaz

Houston - Willie Fritz

Indiana - Curt Cignetti

James Madison - Bob Chesney

Michigan - Sherrone Moore

Michigan State - Jonathan Smith

Middle Tennessee - Derek Mason

Mississippi State - Jeff Lebby

Nevada - Jeff Choate

New Mexico - Bronco Mendenhall

New Mexico State - Tony Sanchez

Northwestern - David Braun (was interim all this season)

Oregon State - Trent Bray

San Diego State - Sean Lewis

San Jose State - Ken Niumatalolo

South Alabama - Major Applewhite

Syracuse - Fran Brown

Texas A&M - Mike Elko

Troy - Gerad Parker

Tulane - Jon Sumrall

UL Monroe - Bryan Vincent

UTEP - Scotty Walden

Washington - Jedd Fisch

Wyoming - Jay Sawvel

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#779 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 06:03 PM

Another FBS head coach appears set to join DeBoer's staff at Alabama. This time it's Buffalo's Maurice Linguist, who will likely be an assistant in the defensive secondary. Definitely been a lot of downstream dominoes from Saban's retirement.

#780 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 07:20 PM

Pete Thamel reports South Alabama is elevating Major Applewhite from OC to Head Coach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=