813 replies to this topic

#481 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:08 PM

Luke Fickell to Notre Dame almost seems too obvious at this point.

This is the Silly Season. We can do better. Lane Kiffin to ND!!!

In all seriousness though, Fickell or Matt Campbell are probably your betting leaders.

And of course the Urban Meyer rumors will be churning on high speed.

#482 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:14 PM

8 Days Ago:

Kelly was pressed on his potential interest in other college football jobs during his Monday morning press conference. He denied any interest if other positions, instead reaffirming his love for Notre Dame.

It doesn’t sound like Kelly will leave.

“No,” Kelly said when asked if he’d ever leave Notre Dame. “I mean, look, I think Mike Tomlin had the best line, right? Unless that fairy godmother comes by with that $250M check, my wife would want to take a look at it first. I’d have to run it by her.”

7 Days Ago:

LSU AD Scott Woodward on Zoom with major donors:

"Folks, can we come up with $250M for Mrs. Kelly?"

#483 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:58 PM

Crazy.

#484 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:54 PM

Matt Fortuna

This is usually how these things go, but Brian Kelly has ghosted everyone at Notre Dame. Just spoke to one assistant who saw reports on his phone tonight as he was exiting a recruit's home: "The news broke when I walked out of the house, so I look like a f----- a--hole."

Like the tweet says, this is typical. Even the assistant coaches are usually totally in the dark about what’s happening.

#485 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:58 PM

These guys are hundred millionaires these days, can’t be bothered to be a decent human.

#486 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 10:21 PM

I cannot turn away from Twitter. I have Stage 4 FOMO that the next tweet will be that Nick Saban, Ryan Day, and Kirby Smart are all leaving their current positions to form a coaching super-team at Temple.

#487 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 10:36 PM

Twitter got a screenshot of a text Brian Kelly sent to players saying he won’t be back and will say more at a 7am meeting tomorrow. The worst part of all of this is the players have to get up to hear this at 7am. If you’re going to tell me you’re dumping me, at least wait until around brunch time.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#488 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:57 AM

Brent Pry to Virginia Tech.
@BSLZackKiesel

#489 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 10:05 AM

This is the Silly Season. We can do better. Lane Kiffin to ND!!!

In all seriousness though, Fickell or Matt Campbell are probably your betting leaders.

And of course the Urban Meyer rumors will be churning on high speed.

Kiffin-ND would be an absolutely hilarious marriage, and I'd almost love it for the absurdity and non-stop entertainment that would ensue.

Fickell and Campbell make a ton of sense and I'd be on board with either. I really hope they give serious consideration to Marcus Freeman too. It's the more risky hire, but the pay-off could be massive. He made a noticeable, major impact on recruiting the minute he was hired, and he'd help seriously mitigate some of the coming exodus.

Urban Meyer? pleasegodnoooo.gif I don't think he's an option, but it's a scary thought even.

For all of his faults, Kelly is at least leaving the program in great shape. If whoever's next can continue to ramp up the recruiting, they're set up for success.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#490 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:40 AM

Kiffin-ND would be an absolutely hilarious marriage, and I'd almost love it for the absurdity and non-stop entertainment that would ensue.

Fickell and Campbell make a ton of sense and I'd be on board with either. I really hope they give serious consideration to Marcus Freeman too. It's the more risky hire, but the pay-off could be massive. He made a noticeable, major impact on recruiting the minute he was hired, and he'd help seriously mitigate some of the coming exodus.

Urban Meyer? pleasegodnoooo.gif I don't think he's an option, but it's a scary thought even.

For all of his faults, Kelly is at least leaving the program in great shape. If whoever's next can continue to ramp up the recruiting, they're set up for success.

Sounds like Kelly is making a major pitch to take Freeman with him to LSU and make him the nation's highest-paid defensive coordinator.

@BSLZackKiesel

#491 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:43 AM

Oh, and RGIII says Notre Dame should hire Deion Sanders. Florida didn't take his advice and hire Tim Tebow, but he's not done with these awful takes lol

(For the record, I'd endorse Deion to FSU. What do they have to lose?)

• You Play to Win the Game and BaltBird 24 like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#492 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:53 AM

Oh, and RGIII says Notre Dame should hire Deion Sanders. Florida didn't take his advice and hire Tim Tebow, but he's not done with these awful takes lol

(For the record, I'd endorse Deion to FSU. What do they have to lose?)

And since he’s already on staff as an “advisor” Miami should hire Ed Reed when they fire Manny Diaz.

Some of these schools are really holding themselves back by clinging to their past. USC was one of them, but it looks like they might have learned their lesson. We’ll see about Miami.

#493 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:16 PM

Sounds like Kelly is making a major pitch to take Freeman with him to LSU and make him the nation's highest-paid defensive coordinator.

That would be ironic, since LSU tried to hire him as their DC last year.

#494 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:26 PM

Stewart Mandel

There is no good way for a football coach to leave his team. People are going to be mad/disappointed no matter the timing/venue/format, etc.

Also: Players seem less miffed than general public. The guys on Kyle Hamilton's emergency pod last night did not seem angry at Kelly.

Funny how the players seem to have a more understanding perspective on all this. I'm sure it helps that they also have (finally) the same ability to move on to another opportunity that presents itself.

#495 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:30 PM

There’s no justification for not being able to be man enough to tell your team and your employer what’s going down. “There’s no good way to….” Is typically such a BS cop out to avoid accountability. This is one of those times.

#496 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:32 PM

ND will apparently wait for Luke Fickell, apparently the No 1 choice. Jack Swarbrick suggested he will not name an interim. Assts being told to stay on the road. Strong Catholic ties with Fickell. ND wants renewed bond with traditional Midwest Catholic high schools in recruiting.

Interesting. Sounds like they are not as high on Marcus Freeman as some thought they might be.

Just playing devil's advocate, I wonder if Freeman used his reported offer from Kelly at LSU as leverage to try to get the permanent HC job now rather than the interim label and then have to go into the pool of candidates, and ND called him on it.

Either way, if all this is true, have to think Freeman heads to LSU, which is a big win for them and Brian Kelly.

#497 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:15 PM

Well, Nelson specifically and explicitly stated he is not reopening his recruitment, just decommitting at this time. Which, reading some OU fans on Twitter this morning… they’re not pleased.

In other words:
1. Oklahoma, bye
2. All other coaches, don’t get any ideas
3. Coach Riley, since I’m already in California, you don’t even need to send the new offer letter via docusign, I’ll just swing by and sign after your presser

It took a day and a half, but it happened. Surprised it was that long.

https://twitter.com/...818073479401476

#498 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:14 PM

Sounds like Miami is leaning towards keeping Manny Diaz for now. Still, they will have a new AD at some point soon. Given the new AD’s job performance largely depends on the football team meeting expectations, he/she will want their fortunes tied to a coach of their choice. I think Diaz will have to have a monster season in 2022 to survive.

#499 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:22 PM

According to Matt Zenitz of on3.com, Marcus Freeman will be named head coach at Notre Dame. Tommy Rees will also be staying there as the OC.

I guess Luke Fickell told Notre Dame he's not going to be....fickle....and leave his team just as they are on the cusp of a Playoff berth, and ND didn't want to wait another month for him.

Freeman seemed to have a lot of backers for the promotion, so seems like a solid choice anyway.

#500 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:36 AM

I like it. And basically the entire staff is staying on board too. I wonder how much that will influence the CFP committee's decision if things get chaotic this weekend and the Irish are looking at potentially sneaking into a playoff spot.

But this all really worked out perfectly for Freeman. Can't imagine if he'd taken the LSU DC job instead and everything still played out similarly, that he'd be getting this same opportunity there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=