813 replies to this topic

#521 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:12 PM

Clemson OC Tony Elliott appears to be the leading candidate to take the head coaching job at Virginia (former Raven and UVA alum  Anthony Poindexter was also in the running).

Challenging offseason so far for Dabo at Clemson. Their staff was probably the best in the country as far as maintaining continuity. Now it sounds like he'll be replacing both coordinators.

UPDATE: Dabo will have a new boss too. AD Dan Radakovich has officially accepted an offer to take the AD job at Miami.

#522 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 02:55 PM

Clemson OC Tony Elliott appears to be the leading candidate to take the head coaching job at Virginia (former Raven and UVA alum  Anthony Poindexter was also in the running).

Things with Elliott apparently hit a snag, and now Michigan OC Josh Gattis is emerging as a top candidate for the UVA job.

#523 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:12 PM

It’s being reported that Oregon will run it back with Chip Kelly. Not sure how much I trust the source, but there’s been enough smoke the past couple days that I’m willing to put it here. I’ll wait until it’s official to say more, but if it is, Oregon is making a bad mistake.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#524 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:33 PM

It’s being reported that Oregon will run it back with Chip Kelly. Not sure how much I trust the source, but there’s been enough smoke the past couple days that I’m willing to put it here. I’ll wait until it’s official to say more, but if it is, Oregon is making a bad mistake.

I've always liked Kelly. Know people generally don't like to run it back ( with reason ); but I think it can work.

#525 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:50 PM

I've always liked Kelly. Know people generally don't like to run it back ( with reason ); but I think it can work.

As much as the reunions never seem to work out as well as the first go-around, there’s other reasons I don’t think this ends well for the Ducks.

1) They caught lightning in a bottle with Chip the first time, offensively-speaking. He had an offense that was a step ahead of the rest of the sport. But it’s a copy-cat world, and college football caught up with him while he was in the NFL. His offenses at UCLA have been good, but certainly not transformative. Which only highlights my other two points.

2) He has had terrible defenses at UCLA. Much of that can be attributed to poor staff hires. He was very fortunate at Oregon to inherit Nick Aliotti as his DC from Mike Bellotti, along with several other defensive coaches. Aliotti has since retired, and I doubt he’s interested in a reunion.

3) Mario Cristobal showed that Oregon can be among the elite when it comes to recruiting. That is, to put it mildly, not Chip’s strong suit. At UCLA his classes rated in the 30s-40s. That’s pretty bad considering he’s in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting ground in the country, and his crosstown rival was mired in incompetence while he was there.

The impression I’m getting from those close to UO and Phil Knight is they weren’t happy over how things went down with the sudden exits of Willie Taggart and now Cristobal. They wanted their next hire to be an Oregon lifer (Cal’s Justin Wilcox was the other big target, to that point). Unfortunately I think the price for that will be mediocrity. But when it comes to UO athletics, it’s pretty much one man who calls the shots.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#526 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 01:37 AM

Oregon LB coach Ken Wilson is expected to be the next head coach at Nevada. He’d spent 19 years there as a coach in a previous stint.

#527 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 02:26 PM

Things with Elliott apparently hit a snag, and now Michigan OC Josh Gattis is emerging as a top candidate for the UVA job.

And now it's back to looking like it will be Tony Elliott taking the UVA job.

UPDATE: UVA has made it official. And it's also official that Dabo has now lost his OC, DC and AD in the span of one week. It'll be an interesting offseason in Clemson.

#528 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:42 PM

BYU's Kalani Sitake has emerged as an early candidate for the Oregon job. No word yet on his interest level in leaving his alma mater.

Sitake has agreed to a contract extension with BYU through 2027. He did end up interviewing for the Oregon job, but the interest never seemed strong on either side.

#529 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:48 PM

Georgia DC Dan Lanning is reportedly the next head coach at Oregon.

https://www.ajc.com/...n=snd-autopilot

UPDATE: AJC may have jumped the gun. Multiple sources saying no decision has been made by Oregon.

#530 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 05:25 PM

Dan Wolken

One thing that can happen in coaching searches is a coach deep in the process will reach out to a few people to ask “If I get this job, would you want to come?” And sometimes that can lead to bad information spreading around a building. I’ll just leave it at that.

#531 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:53 PM

Texas A&M DC Mike Elko is set to become the next head coach at Duke.

#532 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 11:20 AM

Former Miami coach Manny Diaz has been hired as the new defensive coordinator at Penn State.

#533 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:14 PM

Georgia DC Dan Lanning is reportedly the next head coach at Oregon.

https://www.ajc.com/...n=snd-autopilot

UPDATE: AJC may have jumped the gun. Multiple sources saying no decision has been made by Oregon.

The AJC owns it....Pete Thamel and Bruce Feldman are now confirming Dan Lanning is going to be Oregon's next head coach.

#534 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 05:59 PM

Temple is hiring Texas RB coach/run game coordinator Stan Drayton as their next head coach, per Bruce Feldman.

#535 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 06:01 PM

With Temple's hire, that fills the last open FBS head coaching position. For now. Check back next month, as NFL firing/hiring season has been known to get the coaching carousel cranked up again.

#536 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 09:35 PM

Rumors going around that former Terps head coach DJ Durkin could be leaving Ole Miss to be the new DC at Texas A&M, replacing Mike Elko who left to become the HC at Duke.

#537 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 03:38 PM

Does he go to Jacksonville and pick Hutchinson #1? The other obvious choice would be Chicago, where his NFL career began.

Bruce Feldman

Sources from both from the NFL side, and at Michigan, tell The Athletic that Jim Harbaugh might be tempted to leave the Wolverines to return to the NFL:

#538 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 09:53 PM

Credit where it is due, it sounds like Harbaugh is at least being forthright with recruits about his future intentions, which is more than you can say for a lot of coaches who skip town for another job.

https://www.si.com/c...oaching-options

#539 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:21 PM

Todd Graham has resigned at Hawaii, though I’m guessing this was somewhat forced based on recent revelations of verbal abuse towards players.

#540 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:28 PM

Todd Graham has resigned at Hawaii, though I’m guessing this was somewhat forced based on recent revelations of verbal abuse towards players.

Hawaii won’t be running in back with June Jones. Despite expressing interest in returning as HC, Jones has apparently turned down an offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=