813 replies to this topic

#281 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:13 PM

As was mentioned in the MD thread, Georgia DC Mel Tucker is the leading candidate to become the next coach at Colorado.

#282 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:14 PM

Matt Canada is reportedly interviewing with Louisville. I doubt he was ever going to stay at MD if he didn't get the head job. He'll land on his feet....he did too well under the circumstances to not get a chance.

#283 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:18 PM

CBS Sports: Breaking down Urban Meyer's legacy and decision to leave Ohio State: What's next for him and the program?
https://www.cbssport...nd-the-program/

#284 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:34 PM

GA Tech has hired former Temple HC Geoff Collins. Kansas State is the only other Power 5 job open as of now.

#285 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 02:52 PM

Big, somewhat surprising news to one of the most tradition-rich college football programs. Mark Richt is stepping down at The U. His statement:

#286 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:24 PM

Watch, Oregon is going to lose a coach to a Fla school after one season for the second year in a row.

EDIT: If Miami does want Cristobal, it's gonna cost them. He has a $10 million buyout (that price goes down to $8 million on Feb 1, but I highly doubt they'd want to wait that long). That said, the Canes do come out of this cleaner financially than if they dismissed Richt....they don't owe him any more money, plus they won't have any coordinators to buyout (Richt was his own OC, and they hadn't yet replaced Manny Diaz with a DC). Miami isn't a very deep-pocketed athletic program, but if they really like Cristobal this might be the time to dig deep. I don't think Cristobal would give it a second thought if the job were offered him.

#287 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

Watch, Oregon is going to lose a coach to a Fla school after one season for the second year in a row.

Heard Dilfer on the Rusillo podcast raving about the Oregon OC.

#288 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:55 PM

Barry Jackson

Verified account @flasportsbuzz
FollowFollow @flasportsbuzz
More

Per source, couple prominent former UM players pushing behind scenes for former Jets coach Rex Ryan to replace Richt. Ryan is believed to have interest, if he's contacted officially. So one of bunch of names to keep in mind.

LOL....c'mon, just come out and say it. We all know it's Ray and Ed. And Rex Ryan leading a college football program would be a disaster. I can sort of get on board with the Herm Edwards experiment, and it didn't blow up in ASU's face (yet). But picturing Rex Ryan in living rooms trying to sell HS kids and parents on playing for him is comical.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#289 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:01 PM

Heard Dilfer on the Rusillo podcast raving about the Oregon OC.

Marcus Arroyo. He was the OC/QB coach with Tampa Bay a couple seasons, and has bounced around some other colleges. Never been a HC before at any level. I think Miami can get someone with more experience, though if they really want to splurge and they get Cristobal they can always try to lure him too (along with Alex Mirabel, Cristobal's HS teammate and current OL coach at OR).

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#290 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:04 PM

Canes DC Manny Diaz announced as UM's new head coach. Had already taken the Temple job, but Miami's going to buy him out for $4 million.

@BSLZackKiesel

#291 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:06 PM

LOL....Diaz didn't even last as long at Temple as George O'Leary did at Notre Dame. I just saw a huge gust of wind outside my window....must have been a collective exhale from half the state of Oregon.

#292 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

Interesting chain of events today. Ohio St let DC Greg Schiano go, and is replacing him with Michigan DL coach (and former Ravens DC) Greg Mattison. Interesting because Mattison, while not an alum, always seemed like a "Michigan guy" and is now jumping to their hated rival. He also has longtime ties to the Harbaugh family, so I wonder if this is smoke regarding Jim's status in Ann Arbor.

Of course it could be nothing other than Mattison taking a promotion and raise and not caring who his new employer happens to be.

#293 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

Willie Taggart sacked at FSU. For the second time, DL coach Odell Haggins will serve as FSU's interim. And to think, it was almost two years ago that some Oregon fans were losing their minds that Taggart bolted after just one season. Funny how things work out sometimes.

#294 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:14 PM

CBS Sports: Florida State coaching candidates: Bob Stoops, Mark Stoops lead replacements for Willie Taggart
https://www.cbssport...willie-taggart/

#295 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:04 PM

Can likely cross PJ Fleck off the wish list for schools with vacancies. He agreed to a 7yr/$33.25m extension with Minnesota yesterday. If he leaves within the next year, Minnesota gets a $10 million buyout....that's probably a big enough price tag to scare off even FSU and USC.

#296 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

I'm really, really glad I don't like FSU, since I can just laugh my ass off at this.

https://www.saturday...mbling-a-staff/

Otherwise, stories like this would make me feel like....like....a MD football fan. [sigh]

#297 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:02 PM

I assume Bo Jackson and Brian Jordan are his offensive and defensive coordinators?

@DJ_McCann

#298 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:23 PM

I assume Bo Jackson and Brian Jordan are his offensive and defensive coordinators?

Jeff Samardzija will also have a job waiting for him as WR coach once he's ready for retirement.

• DJ MC likes this

#299 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:36 PM

For the second straight week a coach was fired before he even finished his second season. This time it's Chad Morris at Arkansas.

https://www.espn.com...rris-4-18-start

#300 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,537 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:56 AM

I think these mid season coaching changes are more for the fan base/donors than for actual on field changes. There simply isn't enough time left in a season for a new coach to make solid improvements for the rest of the year.

However, it sends a huge message to the fans and program boosters and they need those people to continue supporting the program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=