#101 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:31 AM

Kind of excited about the numbers of LB.  You'd think at-least one of them could emerge early.

There's a good chance a few of them move up to S with the need there. All of them are smaller, speedy guys who could easily transition into an in-the-box hybrid in Durkin's single-high scheme.

@BSLZackKiesel

#102 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

Testudo Times: Former Illinois LB Tre Watson to transfer to Maryland football

The Fighting Illini’s third-leading tackler in 2017, Watson recorded 65 tackles in only nine games, good for No. 14 in the Big Ten in tackles per game. He also had 4.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and an interception. He chose Maryland over Vanderbilt and North Dakota State and will have one year of eligibility remaining.

@BSLZackKiesel

#103 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

Grad transfer, eligible to play right away.

#104 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:04 PM

Been rumored MD was his preferred destination since the season ended. Sounds like Lovie Smith really wants to integrate more of his own recruits, which is why there were no restrictions on him transferring in-conference.

With all the losses at the top of the LB depth chart, he could be an important player next year. Could probably compete with Underwood for the starting WLB position and hopefully be a solid bridge to the young incoming talent at the position.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#105 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

Testudo Times: Despite a rough season, Maryland football is recruiting as well as ever

Do yourself a favor and watch the video at the bottom of the article with Durkin's recruiting pitch. There's a reason why he's able to get Top 20 recruiting classes here.

@BSLZackKiesel

#106 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:28 AM

Testudo Times: Despite a rough season, Maryland football is recruiting as well as ever

Do yourself a favor and watch the video at the bottom of the article with Durkin's recruiting pitch. There's a reason why he's able to get Top 20 recruiting classes here.

Yeah, he's awesome. The tide is about to turn in a big way on the field here soon. No doubt about that in my mind. If anything, the struggles have helped ensure more time with DJD to really make a real impact here.
  • BSLZackKiesel likes this

#107 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

Yeah, he's awesome. The tide is about to turn in a big way on the field here soon. No doubt about that in my mind. If anything, the struggles have helped ensure more time with DJD to really make a real impact here.

I'm not so sure anymore. We'll see. Durkin still has my support but doubt is creeping in a bit

#108 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

I'm not so sure anymore. We'll see. Durkin still has my support but doubt is creeping in a bit

Not an excuse I let fly for Edsall... but the injuries have been insane. A few consecutive years now of great recruiting is definitely going to pay off.

#109 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

Said it before, but 2018 is a very important season for Durkin and the program. Year 3 is when you expect to see tangible signs of on-field improvement, even if it's incremental. The Top 20 recruiting classes are great, and a necessity to succeed, but now it's time to see if he's for real as a coach or just the football version of Mark Turgeon.

#110 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:54 PM

Salahuddin tweeted this on the 24th. I'd say that's either very promising or easily the #1 troll job of the 2018 recruiting cycle.

DR2pwh3WkAAYsWP.jpg

In other news from 24x7, their head recruiting writer seems to think Boykin more likely sticks with the Terps, though Notre Dame is still recruiting him despite recent DB commits. The Terps are also working on 4-star DB Ken Montgomery from Tampa. MD is not considered the leader for him at this point (Louisville, followed by UCLA), though he is scheduled to visit UM on Jan 26, the second-to-last weekend before Signing Day.

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this

#111 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

Bruce FeldmanVerified accoun
@BruceFeldmanCFB
More

Odd twist w/ the new early signing period. There are recruits who've actually signed papers but didn't want schools to announce them til Feb. One coach said the tricky part is you could end up committing a violation recruiting a kid you don't know that's signed someplace else.

My first response is, just make it so that if a kid sings his LOI, he has to "announce" it and essentially take himself off the market.

My second response is....why? Only thing I can think of is the kid didn't use up all his official visits and wants to do that.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#112 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

What I gleaned over the past day:

Bad News: Salahuddin did not list the Terps in his Top 4. Speculation I read on TT is that due to the depth they already have at RB, MD was recruiting him with the idea that he'd switch to DB.

Good News (potentially): Mike Elko departed as Notre Dame's DC to take the same position at Texas A&M. The uncertainty might help keep Boykin at MD.

#113 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

Quick update on the Terps' remaining 2018 targets:

• 4-star CB Ken Montgomery, Jr. (Tampa, FL) *Expected to Louisville*
  • 3-star LB Kevontae' Ruggs (Montgomery, AL) *Expected to Alabama*
  • 3-star BUCK Jonathan King (Tampa, FL)
  • 3-star WR/CB Kendrick Torain (Tampa, FL)
  • 3-star BUCK Myjai Sanders (Jacksonville, FL)

4-star CB Noah Boykin and 3-star TE Maleak Bryant are the only two 2018 commits who haven't signed yet.

@BSLZackKiesel

#114 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

Thank goodness the targets for Signing Day are mostly on the defensive side of the ball, and thank goodness for the early signing period. 

#115 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:08 AM

TE Maleak Bryant, one of two Terps commits that didn't sign in Dec, de-committed earlier this evening.

#116 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:38 AM

TE Maleak Bryant, one of two Terps commits that didn't sign in Dec, de-committed earlier this evening.

Walt Bell was the one recruiting him, so no surprise there.

• bnickle likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#117 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

Walt Bell was the one recruiting him, so no surprise there.

Ironic, since Bell hardly ever utilized TEs in the passing game it feels like no big deal, but now they could end up with an OC who does and end up wishing they had him.

#118 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:02 AM

If the 24x7 crystal ball predictions are any indication, Noah Boykin is flipping to Florida after his official visit there this weekend.

#119 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Darn. Was hoping they could end the class by holding on to him, and adding Montgomery.

#120 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

Darn. Was hoping they could end the class by holding on to him, and adding Montgomery.

They have Montgomery next weekend on an official visit. Hopefully they can close on him. I imagine his interest is genuine (College Park doesn't seem like the sort of place you go visit in January just for fun) but Louisville still looks like his top destination and Nebraska appears to be a contender too. He and Boykin are rated pretty close together, and typically you prefer the local kid all other things being equal, but they need to replenish the secondary after all the recent defections.

It also looks like they are hosting Messiah Turner, who like Montgomery is a CB out of the Tampa area, the weekend of Feb 2. He's much lower regarded than Boykin/Montgomery, so he might be a fallback option just in case they can't get either of those two. Definitely an indicator that they feel they have to add another CB to the class. Also noteworthy is that the chief competition for Turner would be our old friend up at UConn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=