• Please log in to reply
597 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:04 PM

Interested in seeing how the Ravens D-line does against the Cowboys O-Line.

BSL: The Ravens Complicated Offense

BSL: Previewing Week 11: Balitmore Ravens at Dallas Cowboys

BSL: Crumbling AFC North gives Ravens new life

#2 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:19 AM

Gotta think this game hinges hugely on Orr and Mosely and to some extent Weddle. I can't see the interior of the Cowboys line beating Pierce and Williams and pushing into the second level, but the guys in the secondary cannot miss tackles at the second level. See, Pitt. 

With the Cowboys pulling it out late, there is some hope for optimism in the season, but I think this week will end up being a must win for a run at the division when it's all said and done because we're going to drop another stupid game somewhere...

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:45 AM

No chance. Elite team gonna do what elite teams do to mediocre teams playing on the road. Losses at Dal and NE are locks. So we would need to win 4 of 5 to get to 9 wins and possibly a playoff berth. Home wins over Mia, Philly, and Cin would be musts. Then you'd have to win at Cin or at Pittsburgh. Just not an easy task. Our best hope at a playoff berth is that our division is so bad that 8-8 wins it.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:57 AM

Agree with Nickle. Rob and others overrate our defense. So while I understand the notion that we match up well with Dallas, I still don't see the Ravens executing enough to win this game. They'd need to play their most complete game of the season. Week 11 is a great time to do so, but it's a real long-shot, IMO.

#5 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:25 AM

I definitely don't think we win this game on paper either. We're going to need to see some evolution in the offense or the defense will have to do what they did to Pitt and completely shut out Eliott on Sunday. 

There's definitely a trap game at play here for Dallas though. Coming home after a really big win in Pitt. Romo is ready and will be named backup. So if Dak does have any pressure early, will that compound with Romo in the wings? Looking ahead to a big matchup in the division on Thanksgiving Day coming up as well, just 4 days after this game. 

We've already played 2 of the top 5 rushing teams in the league so far this year. Oakland and Buffalo. We held them to 62 and 65 yards respectively, they've earned 155 and 128 average on the season. Their lines are not as good as Dallas but, comparatively we dominated them given what they've done on the year. 

Dallas is 3rd in total yards on offense for the year, but been fairly pedestrian throwing it, as they are just 17th in passing yards. To put that into context, they get 4 more yards of passing per game than what we've done and rank in yards, just 4 positions better than us. Dallas pass defense ranks 21st in the league. If we can stop Eliott can their passing game be dynamic? 

Dallas record is elite. I don't know that I'd call their team elite at this stage. There's a lot of parity in the NFL right now, Dallas has done a great job taking advantage. All of their out of division wins have come against teams with losing records so far (GB, Pitt, SF, CHI, CLE). 

There is plenty of good Dallas does and I'm intentionally leaving that out for the moment, I know that. But, there is a window here I think the Ravens NEED to take advantage of if they want to win this division. 

I still agree, it's a huge uphill climb to win the division and that the way the schedule looks right now it's more likely that we're 8-8 when it's all said and done too. But I think this game has a tinge more winnability than it seems at first glance. We have to do what we did to Bell in this game to even be in it, no chance (obv) if we don't. And even if we do that, I think it's probably only then a 50-50 shot for a win given how awful we've looked on the road this year. 

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:10 AM

Agree with Nickle. Rob and others overrate our defense. So while I understand the notion that we match up well with Dallas, I still don't see the Ravens executing enough to win this game. They'd need to play their most complete game of the season. Week 11 is a great time to do so, but it's a real long-shot, IMO.

That's not out of the realm of possibility. They seem to be coming together on both sides of the ball.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:13 AM

I don't think it'd be the most improbable win in recent history, but I think it'd be a very improbable win.  I expect to lose by more than one score.  I think even if we play well, Dallas is just better and, like Hansel, is so hot right now.  Won't be able to overcome any big mistakes like a bad pick, ST breakdown, or untimely fumble.  If we win, I expect that we will have gotten the two biggest breaks in the game, kind of like the Steelers game.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:29 AM

How am I overrating it?

All I have done is provide FACTUAL evidence that shows the defense is very good.

So tell me, where am I overrating it and what is bad about it?  

Are the stats overrating it?  DVOA overrating it?

What aspect of the defense isn't good?

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:41 AM

You don't expect to win this game but the Ravens winning it wouldn't be some crazy upset.

On Mike and Mike this morning, Louis Riddick was talking about how vulnerable Dallas is in the middle of the field.  Combine that with their banged up secondary and the Ravens could have success throwing the ball IF (and this is the big if) they use a similar game plan that we saw in the second half against Cleveland...IE, attacking the middle of the field and getting the ball to your speedy WR in space.

Dallas is tough to run on.  They are a top 5 rushing defense this year but you can throw on them.  Now, the downside there is that Joe has made some bad decisions lately, so if he is throwing it 35+ times (which is almost a guarantee), he may make a few mistakes.  However, if he doesn't make those mistakes and/or the Ravens can overcome them, the Ravens are a team that does match up well with Dallas.

Defensively. we will see if we can continue to dominate the run or not...Dallas has a great Oline and Elliott may be the MVP, so its a tall task but the Ravens have played excellent run offenses this year and shut them down, so we will see.  In the passing game, Smith can match up with Bryant well with his size and physical play...YOung can match up with Beasley.  Orr can stay with Witten and the safeties are of course playing well.

So, there is certainly a chance.

As any game is, this game will be won on the lines.  Can the Ravens generate any kind of a pass rush and if not, do they just drop back in coverage (ala what they do vs NE), try to contain Elliott and keep the WR in front of them and just let the Cowboys chew up some yards but clamp down in the red zone?  That is interesting to me....And, of course, what can the offense do?  Everyone will focus on our run D and Elliott but the focus should probably be on our offense vs their defense.

#10 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

Yup, everyone wants to label Dallas as elite because they are 9-1 and have the glamorous record. They haven't played a tough schedule. If Pitt stops the run against them they beat them, and probably fairly handily. 

I don't think we win, but I'm not scared of this team. And I don't look at this game as a lock just yet. 

Has anyone actually watched the Cowboys extensively this year? I'd be curious to hear their thoughts on the team. I think a lot of the hype right now is due to them being hot right now (Hansel), a stud running game and being the Cowboys. 

There's a slight glimmer of hope here, and I'm going to admittedly, hang onto it for dear life. 

#11 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

I fly out Saturday morning.  Excited to see Jerry's World.

I'd really really like a win.

BTW, prices on the secondary market are absurd right now, hoping they fall as we get closer to game day.

• SportsGuy likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

If we can slow down Elliott then we have a real chance.  

Make Prescott beat you.

• Mike in STL likes this

@bopper33

#13 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:49 AM

I fly out Saturday morning.  Excited to see Jerry's World.

I'd really really like a win.

BTW, prices on the secondary market are absurd right now, hoping they fall as we get closer to game day.

They're gonna get real cheap about 5 minutes after kickoff...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#14 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:51 AM

This is going to be interesting. The Ravens will have to play their best game of the season to win most likely, but it is possible.

I think you lean on your stout run defense and try to shut down Zeke. Try not to let Dak run around too much. If he beats you from the pocket, you can probably live with that.

On offense, we say it every week, but you HAVE to get the run game going. You don't want Joe throwing it 40 times in some kind of a shootout. We are heavily outgunned in that sense and will definitely lose if that happens. But when we do throw, I want to see more of those slants and crossers from this past week mixed in with some deep shots.

I think the formula to win here is keep it ugly and try to make a one or two big plays on offense and maybe one on ST. Classic Ravens.

I wouldn't say I expect to win but I think the Ravens can compete, and I sure as hell don't think the Ravens are scared of this team. Can the Cowboys still look elite when they can't get their own running game going? Can Dak Prescott continue to play almost mistake-free football? Doesn't the shoe have to drop at some point?

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:51 AM

Dallas has a pretty banged up secondary.

@bopper33

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:52 AM

If Pitt stops the run against them they beat them, and probably fairly handily.

So if the #15 rushing defense shuts down the #1 rushing offense they probably win?

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:52 AM

So if the #15 rushing defense shuts down the #1 rushing offense they probably win?

OWNED.gif

@bopper33

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:55 AM

Dallas has a pretty banged up secondary.

Yep...and they aren't particularly good on the back end anyway.

The run defense playing well is big for them though.  The Ravens likely need some kind of a run game to win this game, so that needs to improve.

We will see how much Dixon plays and if he can be a difference maker.

#19 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

Yep...and they aren't particularly good on the back end anyway.

The run defense playing well is big for them though.  The Ravens likely need some kind of a run game to win this game, so that needs to improve.

We will see how much Dixon plays and if he can be a difference maker.

West is a good story, and he is a solid player, but Dixon looks like he could be a big time feature back with a little seasoning. Hope he continues to get more work.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:04 AM

West is a good story, and he is a solid player, but Dixon looks like he could be a big time feature back with a little seasoning. Hope he continues to get more work.

West is the guy I would like to see getting 8-12 carries a game that helps use his physical running to wear down the Dline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=