• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:40 AM

How do you find a vein on a cat at home? 

Sorry, Chris.  Tough choices to make, I think the care that you're taking to try and make the right choice is as good as you can do.  Hope whatever you decide on feels right.

Thanks, appreciate that. 

https://www.wikihow....Fluids-to-a-Cat

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:42 AM

I think any living being wants to remain alive deep in their soul. I think you’ll know, unequivocally, when it is the right time, in consultation with your vet.

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. It’s truly heart breaking. Ellie is my 11 year old Scottish Terrier. She became diabetic several months ago and is insulin dependent. And now she is blind. She’s struggling, and it’s just awful to experience it. I try to view it as an honor for me to care for her and make these last days as good as possible for her. It’s painful. It’s emotional. But she deserves that strength from me.

Hope it’s just a bad stretch of a couple days and little Rosie can rebound a bit. Sorry again Chris.

Thanks, also appreciate that perspective.  Sorry about Ellie.   You are right about the honor of caring for them at the end.  Their lives revolve around you.  Least one can do is be there for them at the end. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#43 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:52 AM

Have two 17 year old cats. Got them together the day before Thanksgiving in '05. 

One cat - Rosie - has always been food motivated. Never missed a meal.  Sweet, always at the door to greet you. 

She has chronic kidney disease like many old cats get. 

At 17, there's no surprise that there isn't much time left.  

After not eating for about a day and a half, took her to the vet yesterday, where she stayed overnight. 

My thought with the cats has always been if they're in pain, I don't want to keep them alive. That just seems cruel. 

The vet is telling us she doesn't think Rosie is in pain, just highly uncomfortable. 

So after an IV drip overnight (and some more tests today); I think they'll send her home to us, but they've already mentioned us doing a home IV drip. 

While happy she can come home; part of me wonders if this is cruel.  Is this for her, or for us? 

Ultimately we did the overnight and the IV to try and help her, vs. putting her down, because it seemed to us that she hadn't completely given up on living... and I thought if she wanted to fight, I'd try and help. 

IDK, sorry for rambling. Just want to do right by her, but not sure exactly what right is. 

Sorry to hear that.  We are basically at that point right now with our 14 year old dog.  I've had friends always say you'll know when it's time but I wonder when that's going to be or if it's already here.  We have 3 kids as well,  I think the oldest and youngest will take it okay when that time comes but the middle is going to be upset.

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:00 AM

Ugh, that has to be very hard with kids. I'm sorry. I guess there are lessons there though. Appreciating life, time, and learning to experience loss.  Doesn't make it easier though.  

• DuffMan likes this

#45 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:29 AM

Sorry Chris. I went through this a few years ago with my 16-year-old cat. It sucks and no matter how old they are you never want them to go. Still, it's inevitable. The time will eventually come. We have them for a part of our lives but they have us for their entire lives.

I listen to Howard and he recently lost one of his favorite cats and the advice he got from friends and vets was, it's better to let a pet go a week early than to keep them around a day too long.

Best wishes to you and Rosie.

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 09:37 AM

Thanks Sean, and Howard usually has good thoughts. 

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 02:19 PM

Putting her down later today.
Using this service:

https://peacefulpassage.net/

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 02:23 PM

Sorry Chris.  

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#49 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 December 2022 - 02:28 PM

So sorry man. Hang in there.

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 December 2022 - 02:36 PM

Sorry Chris for your loss.

#51 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 03:23 PM

Sorry, Chris. It's incredibly hard, and one of the saddest things we'll do in life. However, once it was done, I immediately felt relief. But I didn't get over it for weeks.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 07 December 2022 - 05:41 PM

Sorry, Chris. It's incredibly hard, and one of the saddest things we'll do in life. However, once it was done, I immediately felt relief. But I didn't get over it for weeks.

Yeah same. Today was rough watching her. It was time. Link I gave, would recommend to anyone.
We should all be so lucky to go like that.

Thank you and all.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#53 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 06:37 PM

Had to make the same tough choice with my cat a few years back. She was almost 21 years old and losing a lot of her muscle tone, which they're prone to do at that age. As a result, she was down to five pounds since she could barely make it to her food and water dishes. The first time I took her to the vet, they gave intravenous fluids, which of course only served as a temporary salve.

Long story short, the following Sunday I couldn't stand it anymore and took her to a Pet E.R. One of the longest damn drives of my life and it was only a couple of miles away from my house. I was so tempted to turn around head back home, but that would have just prolonged the inevitable. From a stray rescued on Rte. 99 in Ellicott City (by my sister, who lived there at the time) after being thrown out of a truck in a pillow case with her kittens, to living like royalty for nearly 20 years, I think I did pretty well by her.

• BSLChrisStoner and russsnyder like this

#54 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 03:41 AM

Had to make the same tough choice with my cat a few years back. She was almost 21 years old and losing a lot of her muscle tone, which they're prone to do at that age. As a result, she was down to five pounds since she could barely make it to her food and water dishes. The first time I took her to the vet, they gave intravenous fluids, which of course only served as a temporary.

Long story short, the following Sunday I couldn't stand it anymore and took her to a Pet E.R. One of the longest damn drives of my life and it was only a couple of miles away from my house. I was so tempted to turn around head back home, but that would have just prolonged the inevitable. From a stray rescued on Rte. 99 in Ellicott City (by my sister, who lived there at the time) after being thrown out of a truck in a pillow case with her kittens, to living like royalty for nearly 20 years, I think I did pretty well by her.

I had two cats that lived into their early 20's as well. FWIW, I think it's better to hang on to your pet a bit too long. I probably did as well.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#55 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 31 January 2023 - 06:50 PM

It's been a rough 24 hours at the Sieck house. We had to say goodbye to our little sweetheart Ringo this morning after a bout of declining health. We adopted her and her brother George in 2004 at 6 weeks old. (We thought she was a boy, hence the name). We're all taking it pretty hard but it's been especially tough on the kids, particularly my 14 year old daughter who was very attached to Ringo. Losing a pet is a depth of grief that is akin to losing a family member.
  • You Play to Win the Game, Mackus and DuffMan like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 January 2023 - 07:05 PM

Very sorry to hear it. Hang in there. It gets better but it’s just one of those things that takes a piece of you. And it’s well worth it.

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 08:03 PM

Condolences Jamie!

#58 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 31 January 2023 - 09:09 PM

Very sorry to hear it. Hang in there. It gets better but it’s just one of those things that takes a piece of you. And it’s well worth it.

The blessing of pet ownership is also a curse because you know it's most likely going to end in a broken heart. But those furballs bring so much joy and that unconditional love.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#59 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 31 January 2023 - 09:15 PM

I didn't even realize this thread was here. Sad but cathartic to read some of the other posts. Belated condolences to my fellow BSL pet lovers who've loved and lost.
@primetime667083

#60 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 February 2023 - 07:01 AM

Sorry to hear that.  We are basically at that point right now with our 14 year old dog.  I've had friends always say you'll know when it's time but I wonder when that's going to be or if it's already here.  We have 3 kids as well,  I think the oldest and youngest will take it okay when that time comes but the middle is going to be upset.

Welp unfortunately yesterday was the day for us.  Went for a run like I always do and was thinking about Homer the whole run.  When I got back I had made up my mind that it was time.  This decision has been on my mind for a while so finally reaching the decision did help a bit.    The rest of the day moved slow as I had to wait for our appointment.  Telling the kids right after school was really tough.  My parents came over to say goodbye as well, as my wife went with me to the vet.    We were lucky to never really have any health problems with our pup and I am grateful for all the good times but man am I going to miss seeing him around the house.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, Mackus and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=