86 replies to this topic

#41 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

I spent a lot of days listening to Nestor rant on not just the Orioles, but disparage anyone who actually called in as a fan and wanted to talk about the team. Hell, he went from questioning media member to apoplectic hatred because the Bird squirted him with a water pistol one evening at a game, and he took that as some kind of deep offense. He's a joke. He earned every bit of the enmity I have for him and his operation. Congratulations on your promotion, but all that makes you is the radio version of Greg Bader.

No offense but you aren't educated enough about the business to make claims like your last line. But I'm sorry you feel that way.

BTW...it has nothing to do with the bird squirting him.

Whatever. I appreciate all of your viewpoints and you are all certainly entitled to your opinion. I've been talking sports with you guys since 2003 on OH so I'm certainly not on here trying to preach and convert you and I most definitely didn't sign up on this board to clutter Chris' site with a 5 pages of WNST defense.

I hated WNST years ago as well. Why? It was the cool thing to do. But I came to realize that I wasn't as informed about everything as I thought I was.
@PeterDiLutis

#42 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,554 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

I just find it hilarious that you're telling me my post is ridiculous when I'm the actual person living the life.

You seem like a cool dude. Let's go get a beer one night. Maybe you can come up for a reason why we sell bring in 5X as much as a company during August-January as we do from February-July. As a Baltimore sports media outlet, there seems to be a a specific variable that changes during those two time frames.

Hell, I had a conversation with an individual who left WBAL because he couldn't sell radio spots on 1090 DURING THE O'S BROADCASTS.

Peter, I respect you and enjoy your posts for the most part - so I'm just going to end the debate here. You DO work there, so I should be sensitive to that (because even though I've made it clear that YOU aren't the problem, it's still kind of like telling someone their baby is ugly).

I do think that the NFL will always be a hotter advertisement bet than MLB. I don't think that's specific to the O's/Ravens. I also don't doubt that the O's have hurt any chance of drawing even half the advertising revenue that the Ravens have by being so bad. But I also think that a better approach over the years by some of the personalities at WNST could have helped.

But again, I apologize for coming across so aggressively.

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

I'm sorry you feel that way but in reality you aren't in the business, and you don't have much of an idea for how we do or don't make money, or why we do or don't make money.

My history with Drew goes way back, so much so that he didn't REALLY want me to join the WNST team 18 months ago. We hardly EVER agree on anything sports related. That being said, he has a great following and as a host, has more sponsorship support than most, if not all, other sports media personalities in the area.

BTW: The VAST majority of sports talk listeners are not intelligent. That's what you and most people likely don't understand. Sports talk show hosts don't cater to the people on this board. They cater to average joe who reads the headlines in the paper. They cater to the average joe who thinks Soriano is still a premier player because they've heard of his name.

How many of you guys on this board have called into a sports talk show over the past year? I'd guess not many.

I have a couple times. But big difference between XM and NST.
@JeremyMStrain

#44 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

I just find it hilarious that you're telling me my post is ridiculous when I'm the actual person living the life.

There's another word I am really trying to avoid using, because of the extreme meaning it has, and because you surely would be a cool guy to know in real life and you are defending your employer. With comments like this, though, it is VERY difficult.

#45 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Regardless if the O's have cost a radio station money or not, the way a talk show host and/or writer talks and writes about them should not in any way be influenced by the business side.

I agree with this.
@PeterDiLutis

#46 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Peter, I respect you and enjoy your posts for the most part - so I'm just going to end the debate here. You DO work there, so I should be sensitive to that (because even though I've made it clear that YOU aren't the problem, it's still kind of like telling someone their baby is ugly).

I do think that the NFL will always be a hotter advertisement bet than MLB. I don't think that's specific to the O's/Ravens. I also don't doubt that the O's have hurt any chance of drawing even half the advertising revenue that the Ravens have by being so bad. But I also think that a better approach over the years by some of the personalities at WNST could have helped.

But again, I apologize for coming across so aggressively.

No worries at all man! I'm not naive to the reputation that's out there. But if you guys are going to bash WNST left and right, all I'd ask is that you were at least open to hearing the other side of the argument.

It's tough for some of you to seem open to hearing the other side when there are snarky, sarcastic comments coming left and right.

I wouldn't come on here and crap on your business or Chris' old business or SG's jewelry biz, etc etc. I also wouldn't try to take the side of a jewelry store in a debate because frankly, I don't know jack about how the jewelry biz actually works. If you want to criticize Glenn or Drew or Thyrl or me or Luke or anyone for their published opinions, that is obviously fair game.

But DJ is literally on here being one these opinionated, snarky remarks, and then he ends it by saying "all because the Bird squirted him..."

That's like me saying, Chris started BSL because his daddy made him.

Hmm...I said it. And everyone saw me say it and can read it. But does that make it true? No, it doesn't.
@PeterDiLutis

#47 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

There's another word I am really trying to avoid using, because of the extreme meaning it has, and because you surely would be a cool guy to know in real life and you are defending your employer. With comments like this, though, it is VERY difficult.

What do you think I said that was off base?

What do you do for a living? I know you used to give Orioles tours, right?

Would you be offended if I came on here and claimed to know the ins and outs of the behind the scenes operations of Camden Yards?

If I came on here and claimed that the orange seat in the bleachers was from Babe Ruth's 10th HR, would you not defend yourself? Would you not try to inform me?

I'm not sure I'm the guy that should debate you as far as elements of the Camden Yards tour. Just as I don't think you're someone who should THINK that they know more about this situation than I do.

That's not me coming across as being superior. It's just the reality of the situation.
@PeterDiLutis

#48 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

No offense but you aren't educated enough about the business to make claims like your last line. But I'm sorry you feel that way.

It isn't a matter of knowing the business, it's a simple fact. Anything you say on this subject must be filtered through the fact that your job is making money for that station.

BTW...it has nothing to do with the bird squirting him.

I was listening that day, and it was the first time I ever heard him talking in such strongly negative terms about the club. More importantly, I don't believe I have ever heard him say anything good about them ever since, and I still subjected myself to him for years afterward.

Whatever. I appreciate all of your viewpoints and you are all certainly entitled to your opinion. I've been talking sports with you guys since 2003 on OH so I'm certainly not on here trying to preach and convert you and I most definitely didn't sign up on this board to clutter Chris' site with a 5 pages of WNST defense.

I hated WNST years ago as well. Why? It was the cool thing to do. But I came to realize that I wasn't as informed about everything as I thought I was.

Sure, because they hired you and now have promoted you. On the other hand, if they ever offered me a position I would turn them down because I wouldn't respect the boss enough to hold the job.

That's what it comes down to in the end. Just like many people don't want to support an Angelos-run franchise, I don't want to support an Aparicio-run radio station. I don't give them my ears, I don't give them my clicks, and I will offer my opinion on them when I have the opportunity.

#49 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

I have a couple times. But big difference between XM and NST.

I'd have to think that you are an exception and not the trend.

You are a very informed baseball fan. You are more informed than 90% of the public. So is DJ. and Rickster. And Chris. SG. Frobby. MWEB...etc etc.

Sports talk radio is not catered to us. If it was, WNST and other stations would gain 10% of intelligent fans and lose the other 90% of fans that go to 4 games a year.
@PeterDiLutis

#50 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

What do you think I said that was off base?

What do you do for a living? I know you used to give Orioles tours, right?

Would you be offended if I came on here and claimed to know the ins and outs of the behind the scenes operations of Camden Yards?

If I came on here and claimed that the orange seat in the bleachers was from Babe Ruth's 10th HR, would you not defend yourself? Would you not try to inform me?

I'm not sure I'm the guy that should debate you as far as elements of the Camden Yards tour. Just as I don't think you're someone who should THINK that they know more about this situation than I do.

That's not me coming across as being superior. It's just the reality of the situation.

You're talking about something completely different than I am, though. You think this is something about Nestor and a few other hosts there not liking the Orioles. This is about me not having respect for or wanting to support in any way the man in charge, and several others who work for him. That is a huge chasm, and frankly it is one that neither one of us can cross.

#51 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

It isn't a matter of knowing the business, it's a simple fact. Anything you say on this subject must be filtered through the fact that your job is making money for that station.

I was listening that day, and it was the first time I ever heard him talking in such strongly negative terms about the club. More importantly, I don't believe I have ever heard him say anything good about them ever since, and I still subjected myself to him for years afterward.

Sure, because they hired you and now have promoted you. On the other hand, if they ever offered me a position I would turn them down because I wouldn't respect the boss enough to hold the job.

That's what it comes down to in the end. Just like many people don't want to support an Angelos-run franchise, I don't want to support an Aparicio-run radio station. I don't give them my ears, I don't give them my clicks, and I will offer my opinion on them when I have the opportunity.

It's highly offensive to me that you think I have the opinions I do because WNST hired me.

Once again, you think you know something, but in reality you don't. You know NOTHING about my situation, including why or how I ended up at WNST. NOTHING. You have no idea what my relationship is like with anyone at WNST, including Nestor. Yet you want to speak as though you know all of the facts.
@PeterDiLutis

#52 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'd have to think that you are an exception and not the trend.

You are a very informed baseball fan. You are more informed than 90% of the public. So is DJ. and Rickster. And Chris. SG. Frobby. MWEB...etc etc.

Sports talk radio is not catered to us. If it was, WNST and other stations would gain 10% of intelligent fans and lose the other 90% of fans that go to 4 games a year.

By the way, you are absolutely right about this. Honestly, I stopped listening to almost all talk radio a couple of years ago because I got sick of it all.

But that doesn't make it right. And more importantly, it doesn't change the fact that I have no respect for your boss or his motives.

#53 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

You're talking about something completely different than I am, though. You think this is something about Nestor and a few other hosts there not liking the Orioles. This is about me not having respect for or wanting to support in any way the man in charge, and several others who work for him. That is a huge chasm, and frankly it is one that neither one of us can cross.

Okay...If you don't like Nestor or Glenn or Drew, that's fine and there's nothing I can do about that and frankly I don't really care one way or another. That doesn't concern me. But your words are pretty strong and they seem to be more personal than simply sports opinions. I'm not sure why that is but I'd be interested in knowing why...
@PeterDiLutis

#54 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

It's highly offensive to me that you think I have the opinions I do because WNST hired me.

Once again, you think you know something, but in reality you don't. You know NOTHING about my situation, including why or how I ended up at WNST. NOTHING. You have no idea what my relationship is like with anyone at WNST, including Nestor. Yet you want to speak as though you know all of the facts.

OK, you're right, I pushed too far. I'm sorry.

My point wasn't that they control your opinions, but that because you work there and are in that particular job you feel the need to defend the station from attack because in the end it can have a negative effect on your job.

If you started talking about the tours and saying incorrect things, I would correct you and defend what I know. However, if someone wants to criticize the running of the team in general over the last decade and a half I'm not going to try and argue otherwise because the results speak for themselves. Just like the results at WNST speak for themselves, at least those I can see from the outside.

#55 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

OK, you're right, I pushed too far. I'm sorry.

My point wasn't that they control your opinions, but that because you work there and are in that particular job you feel the need to defend the station from attack because in the end it can have a negative effect on your job.

If you started talking about the tours and saying incorrect things, I would correct you and defend what I know. However, if someone wants to criticize the running of the team in general over the last decade and a half I'm not going to try and argue otherwise because the results speak for themselves. Just like the results at WNST speak for themselves, at least those I can see from the outside.

No problem!

Although O's results are a lot easily quantified than WNST results.

And honestly, I wouldn't be working at WNST if I didn't like what we were all about and where we were going. I've certainly had opportunities to move on and build a successful career but I like what we're doing and I like how we compare to our competitors. I like the people that I work with, even if we disagree on sports opinions ever now and then.

So, it's not a matter of me feeling the need to defend WNST because I work there. It's a matter of me working at WNST because I believe in the company and product, thus my motivation for defending them/us.
@PeterDiLutis

#56 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,394 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

That's understandable, but at the same time I don't think he's quite saying that, at least not that strongly. I think he's saying that you're biased because you work there or influenced if you want to use a more positive sounding word. It would be difficult for you not to be and there's really nothing wrong with it if you're biased since it's natural to support the company you work for, at least if you like the place.

#57 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

That's understandable, but at the same time I don't think he's quite saying that, at least not that strongly. I think he's saying that you're biased because you work there or influenced if you want to use a more positive sounding word. It would be difficult for you not to be and there's really nothing wrong with it if you're biased since it's natural to support the company you work for, at least if you like the place.

Right. There's been a bit of a controversy around the library I work for over a certain recent bestseller and its notable absence from our shelves. If someone came on here and started to go off on that I would defend my library as far as I can, because there are things on the inside that aren't public knowledge.

I never meant to assume the inner workings of the station, but just express my opinion of those in charge and my reasons. I do wish you success in your position, Peter, even if you aren't getting my money ;)

#58 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

Right. See my last post. I do like the place. That's why I work there :)
@PeterDiLutis

#59 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Right. There's been a bit of a controversy around the library I work for over a certain recent bestseller and its notable absence from our shelves. If someone came on here and started to go off on that I would defend my library as far as I can, because there are things on the inside that aren't public knowledge.

I never meant to assume the inner workings of the station, but just express my opinion of those in charge and my reasons. I do wish you success in your position, Peter, even if you aren't getting my money ;)

Well, if you know any biz owners looking to advertise.......

Nevermind :lol:
@PeterDiLutis

#60 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Well, if you know any biz owners looking to advertise.......

Nevermind :lol:

Why? You've already got SquIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIERS!

Still run those ads? :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=