Photo

Betemit: Defense or RH batting?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: What annoys you more about Betemit (7 member(s) have cast votes)

What annoys you more about Betemit

1. Batting right-handed (6 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. Playing 3B (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

This is more of a lighter poll, but I figured it'd be interesting to hear BSL's reponse/opinions.

Clearly we all have issues with Wilson Betemit. His horrendous performance against left handed pitchers, his botching of grounders and overall poor display at 3rd base, etc. These mostly stem from Buck's insistence to continuing to play him in these spots.

But this is more of a fun poll. Everyone has issues with Betemit. Which is worse? Generally speaking, what annoys you more about Wilson? Him batting right-handed or him playing at 3B?

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,453 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

My issues with Betemit, are more of issues with Showalter's use of him.

Betemit was brought in to DH, and to hit RHP. He's been strong against righties (.832 OPS, 218 ab's).

I guess I can't even crush Showalter here. Reimold's injury changed the complexion of the roster. Even if Buck wanted to DH Betemit now, he can't with Thome on the roster.

There were times during the year, I wanted Showalter to play Reynolds at 3rd over Betemit, but to Betemit's credit, I think he has worked to get the point where he is 'below average' as opposed to just 'terrible' at 3rd. His UZR/150 is (-7.3), which is light-years better than Reynolds in '11.

I can get on Showalter for batting him 81 times vs. LHP (.428 OPS) though. With splits that disparate, I don't see what the 'risk' is of making Betemit bat LH vs. lefties.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,397 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Yeah, I really don't have issues with Wilson. He is who we thought he was. Buck is misusing him in a major way, at least with having him play against lefties, there may not be a better alternative to play 3B.

#4 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

I agree that there are other factors to blame for Wilson and his issues, but to me it doesn't look like he is always giving his best effort on defense. So I pick that in the poll.

#5 ncicere

ncicere
  • Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

I agree his right handed swing is much worse than his left handed approach, while he has been playing better Defense as of late. I have a problem with the way he approaches AB's. Swings out of the zone too much, too aggressive early in the count. He has decent enough bat control to be able to fight pitches off and wait for a mistake
@ItsYaBoySwiss---Buck Truck

#6 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

I think it's easily his RH batting. It drives me insane that he still starts against left handed pitchers. It's not a new development that he can't hit from the right side. It's been going on for his whole career. I remember thinking when they signed him that it wouldn't be a bad signing if they only played him vs. righties, but I had a bad feeling that he would play every day.

Duquette should've laid down an edict to Buck when he signed him - "He ONLY plays vs. righties."

Here are his career numbers split by L/R:

As LHH vs. righties: .820 OPS, .351 wOBA
As RHH vs. lefties: .643 OPS, .283 wOBA

He goes from a good hitter vs. righties to below replacement level vs. lefties. How has Buck not realized this by now?
@BSLKevinEbert

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=