1162 replies to this topic

#1161 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

George actually did the right thing here imo. He told them his intentions a year ahead of time so they can plan accordingly.

I can see if he did it behind closed doors, then the Pacers can trade him. But making it public, who's going to give up anything substantial for a sure rental?

Now I don't know for sure if him wanting to go to LA was leaked by him, or the team cause I don't follow it. But if the team leaked it, they're morons. If George went public with it himself, it puts the Pacers in a no win situation.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1162 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:20 PM

I can see if he did it behind closed doors, then the Pacers can trade him. But making it public, who's going to give up anything substantial for a sure rental?

Now I don't know for sure if him wanting to go to LA was leaked by him, or the team cause I don't follow it. But if the team leaked it, they're morons. If George went public with it himself, it puts the Pacers in a no win situation.

It was done behind closed doors, but in this day and age, that stuff gets out (not sure who to blame for that, but the info was attributed to "league sources"). 

Plus, his desire to go to the Lakers was already pretty well known so I don't think this does much to his trade value. It was already a rental situation unless a team is confident in their ability to change his mind (the Cavs for instance are confident in their culture being able to change player's opinions) or it's the Lakers themselves trading for him. 

George was pretty much in a no-win sitatuon with certain fans. This was pretty much the best way he could have handled it IMO and some people are still going to get on him for it. If he waited til after next year when he already knew he wanted to leave, then he's "blindsiding" the Pacers.

Some of those same people may have wanted him to stay there long-term, but then he'll eventually start hearing about how he's not really a great player because he doesn't win enough. Ultimately, that right there is what is most responsible for the star movement of the past 10 years. The ringz culture results in players trying to find better situations to win in, and usually the same people that foster that culture are the one's that complain the most about the player movement.

• Mike in STL likes this

#1163 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

Oh yeah. Cleveland can sway players from choosing glamorous LA. You don't say. :)
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=