• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:02 PM

It was just a matter of when...

http://www.nytimes.c...literature.html

https://www.theguard...e-in-literature
  • BSLChrisStoner, Icterus galbula and DJ MC like this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:27 PM

Taylor Swift was robbed.

• Dr. FLK likes this
@DJ_McCann

#3 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:53 PM

Taylor Swift was robbed.

Yo I'm happy for you and Imma let you finish, but Beyonce wrote one of the greatest albums of all times.
  • DJ MC likes this

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:55 PM

He's the first American to win since Toni Morrison, which makes me WANT to make a Dan Brown- or James Patterson-related joke, but really, that's just damn impressive.

@DJ_McCann

#5 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

PLAY IT FUCKING LOUD

• RShack likes this

#6 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

PLAY IT FUCKING LOUD

I did and it scared the dogs :wink:

A couple factoids for those who might not know...

* The "Judas!" at the beginning is from angry folkies who are steamed because he's using an electric guitar and a backup band.

* Same thing for the booing at the end, right after he played them the BEST ROCK SONG EVER WRITTEN(!!!)

* His backup band is The Hawks... you might recognize them by the name they adopted later: The Band... (EDIT: I now see the filename tells you that.)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#7 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

i'm personally aware of all these things you mentioned. "The Last Waltz" is practically my bible. Glad that anyone else might be infused with the knowledge for the first time all the same.

He's a boss. Who cares whether this is an expansion of "literature" for Nobels. Bob deserves it. 

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:13 PM

I have a serious question.

The definition of "literature", for the Nobel committee, essentially includes all instances of the written word. I think that is a good thing. What makes, for example, a good song, are very much the same things as make a good poem. In the same vein, the things that make a good novel, or series of novels, are very much the same things as make up a good television series.

So, at what point do we think the Nobel committee chooses to honor a television writer for their achievements? And, as a follow-up, will that writer be David Simon?

@DJ_McCann

#9 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

I would have no problem with David Simon winning a Nobel. He's not Bob Dylan yet, but written word is written word. Reward those who excel. 

#10 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:17 PM

I have a serious question.

The definition of "literature", for the Nobel committee, essentially includes all instances of the written word. I think that is a good thing. What makes, for example, a good song, are very much the same things as make a good poem. In the same vein, the things that make a good novel, or series of novels, are very much the same things as make up a good television series.

So, at what point do we think the Nobel committee chooses to honor a television writer for their achievements? And, as a follow-up, will that writer be David Simon?

That would be a big step in the direction of American-centric culture... not that other things aren't... just a much bigger step, given the content of Simon's work...

#11 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:08 PM

• Icterus galbula likes this

#12 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

#13 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:58 PM

I saw Tom Petty a couple of years ago and he doesn't look that different now. Its like he did all of his aging between the years of 20 and 40. 

#14 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:42 PM

#15 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

The best part is Bob couldn't give a single shit about this. He just does him. Long live the king.

#16 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:13 PM

Its weird. His rebelliousness is what makes him so inspiring, but if if you dared say that to him you would be scoffed at for eternity. 

#17 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:21 PM

Pete Seeger introduces 23-yr-old Bob Dylan at the 1964 Newport Folk Festival... 

#18 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

Its weird. His rebelliousness is what makes him so inspiring, but if if you dared say that to him you would be scoffed at for eternity. 

Supposedly, that streak in him is what caused the whole Newport brouhaha in 1965... he hadn't planned to do the electric set at the folk festival... but then he heard one of the organizers dissing the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and ridiculing the idea that they could play at the festival... at which point he said, "Well, fuck them if they think they can keep electricity out of here, I'll do it."  So, he grabbed Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper and a couple other guys, practiced at somebody's house that night, and performed at the festival the very next day.

• Icterus galbula likes this

#19 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:29 PM

Now I'm sorry for being dismissive earlier Shack. Thats some righteous trivia. 

#20 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:34 PM

George trying to put him at ease during his terrified-to-perform-live phase...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=