76 replies to this topic

#41 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:31 AM

They were shoulder...did em on coal, a little overdone but not hammered. Took them off and took the temp, read a little low and put them back on a few mins...probably should've just left them off. But I'm definitely going to do them again soon.
  • Mackus likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

Shoulder chops can handle the extra temp and cooking.  They're the lamb version of chuck or pork butt.  Typically you wouldn't cook them like a steak but it can be done just don't have quite the same tenderness, that's probably why it seemed overcooked.  If you go low and slow, or if you grind it, you can break down all the connective tissue and it becomes tender, like pulled pork or braised short ribs.  If you've ever had braised or ground lamb it was probably the shoulder chop.  They definitely have a more intense lamb flavor.  The rib and loin chops have a far more subtle flavor, kind of lamb for people who don't really like lamb.

If you really like lamb, try a semi-boneless leg sometime.  That's my favorite, even moreso than rib chops (which can run $20/lb if they are frenched).  Rub it with lots of salt, pepper, rosemary, and crushed garlic then roast or grill it like you would a whole chicken or a prime rib roast, indirect heat for a while then finish over high heat to get a nice crust.  Slice the meat right of the bone, make some tzatziki, and eat it with warm pita bread.  Damn good.

#43 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

I used my Uuni oven to cook steak and broccoli last night. First time I've used it for anything other than pizza. Had a decent sized filet and a medium sized ribeye. I used a small wrought iron pan, but Uuni sells one with a removable handle. I had to cook everything individually so it took some time but everything moved quickly. The steaks were pretty big so cooking them at 800+ took two go rounds since the middle was still uncooked when I initially took them off. That said, it was the best steak I've ever made at home. The smoke from the oak pellets was much more intense than anything you can get from a charcoal grill. The broccoli was the same way -- smoky, perfectly cooked. Laid some cheese overtop of them too. Amazing. I might play around with the different flavored pellets from Traeger but the oak pellets I've been using for pizza worked fine too. Next up, some salmon.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:20 AM

So this is insane, and Pedro's gonna make fun of me.  But here is the latest crazy thing I did.

Darbar was my wife's favorite restaurant in the city.  We'd go there once a month and get carry out for dinner another 2-3 times a month.  But they sold to new owners, and now it's awful (admittedly we only gave them one shot, but didn't like any of the standard things we always order).  So I started trying to make my own Indian food.  I went and got lots of spices and ingredients from an Indian grocery in Catonsville, found some recipes to follow, and I got pretty good at making the sauces (tikka masala and saag) and samosas.  But the chicken and naan bread I was making just wasn't the same.  So I found some you tube videos of people making their own tandoor ovens out of terra cotta planter pots.  And I did that.  Less than a 1/2 chimney of charcoal and within an hour this baby gets up to 800 degrees. 

78080058-f29f-427b-a323-83e394334d5d_zps31f1ebc7-3c65-4998-9be1-fd04a21f7a3f_zps

67d26fce-103f-4721-8b0c-d36b64f079ac_zps3a4d86c9-0a5f-44a7-9f8e-55c4f9daaea1_zps

• Mashed Potatoes, NewMarketSean, Nigel Tufnel and 1 other like this

#45 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

I made wings yesterday that were much better than they had any right to be. Dusted them in a flour/spice mix, refrigerated them for a few hours, dipped them in a butter/hot sauce wash (including some ghost pepper hot sauce and liquid smoke) and baked them for an hour at 400. They were crispy and spicy and good.

• DuffMan likes this

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

Made something awesome last night that I haven't seen before but seems super obvious in retrospect.

I bought bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.  I cut the bone out and then pounded them thin, not super thin but moreso just to get them a uniform thickness.  Salted the skin side and then cooked skin side down on a cast iron skillet on medium heat until all the fat rendered out and the skin was golden brown and super crispy, about 15 minutes.  Seasoned the other side with a jerk seasoning, flipped them over, and cooked for a few minutes just to cook through.

These things were fantastic.  Like a perfectly made chicken cutlet, but without any breading, it was just the skin that got crispy.  I think these will be super versatile, can marinate them or put any type of spice or seasoning on them that I want.  Asian, Latin, Indian, Italian...just salt and pepper will probably be good.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#47 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

It really is amazing how good something can be just by cooking it in a cast iron skillet on a stove top with some oil, salt and pepper. Steaks are the best this way, IMO. Just get a good piece of meat and don't hammer it to death.

I like bone-in chicken. We've lifted the skin up before and "stuffed" it with a blue cheese, herb & butter mix and baked it. They were pretty good.

#48 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

I also need to use my Uuni oven for more than just pizza. Got two Uuni pans that are made specially for it. Cooked steak and broccoli in it once -- AMAZING. I really need to do some salmon, pork chops and other veggies in there.

Wish I could just leave it set up all the time.

#49 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

Anyone have a killer chili recipe?  We have a chili cookoff this Friday at work.

I've never really tried, but my boss is from Texas and it would be bitchin to kick his ass.

@fuzydunlop

#50 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:20 AM

Anyone have a killer chili recipe?  We have a chili cookoff this Friday at work.

I've never really tried, but my boss is from Texas and it would be bitchin to kick his ass.

It might be blasphemy, but I think turkey chili is better than ground beef.

I won a chili cook off at work once with turkey. My wife made it though. :D

#51 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:19 AM

It might be blasphemy, but I think turkey chili is better than ground beef.

I won a chili cook off at work once with turkey. My wife made it though. :D

I make a pretty good turkey chili too actually. Pretty basic, and could just swap proteins for ground beef or steak easy. Tomato Sauce, diced tomatoes with green chilies, dark kidney beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder.

@JeremyMStrain

#52 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:22 AM

Last Chili kick off at my kids school a recipe with Chicken one, I thought it was pretty bland myself.

Next competition is in a couple of weeks.  I'll probably enter again.  I don't have a set recipe myself though.

#53 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

Anyone have a killer chili recipe? We have a chili cookoff this Friday at work.

He will probably tell you real chili doesn’t have beans in it.

But then you have what? Sloppy joe?

I like my chili recipe a lot. But it’s not written out. I know what goes in it, but not how much.
@BSLMikeRandall

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:31 PM

I think the primary key to good chili is using good chiles.  I get dried whole chiles from the local latin markets in Highlandtown, they are fantastic.  Choose a couple each of a few different varieties, toast them, soak them in water, then puree.  Also the best way to make kickass enchilada or ranchero sauce.  If you can't find them or the ones at the normal grocery store suck (if they are very dry and brittle, they are bad, you want soft and pliable like leather), then get a good ground chili powder (don't use one that's been sitting in your spice drawer for years and years) and mix it with some of the sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.

No matter what type you're making, the chile peppers are what makes it taste like really good chili.  I haven't come across a chili variant that I don't enjoy.  Ground beef, whole beef chunks, turkey, chicken, pork...beans or no beans...lots of veggies (tomato, bell pepper, tomatillo, zucchini) or only onions and garlic...everything is good.  My favorites are a Texas-style red (diced chunks of beef, no beans, lots of chile paste) and white chili (smoked chicken thighs, white beans, lots of ground cumin).

This is making me hungry for chili.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#55 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

I will go ahead and volunteer as judge for the inevitable 1st annual BSL Chili Cookoff.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:02 AM

McNutty how did your chili turn out?

#57 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:09 AM

In a very predictable move, Dept of State refused to let me enter because I missed the deadline.  

Based on my experience at this embassy, they are hands down the worst federal organization our country has.  By far.

Once I cook it on my own, I'll let you know.  Thanks for the hookup.

@fuzydunlop

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,116 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:16 AM

Re: Chili ...  really good after a night in the fridge, extra tabasco, and corn bread. 

1 1/2 - 2 lbs lean ground beef (You could substitute ground turkey)
3 cans dark red kidney beans (or mix the dark with a can of light red)
1 1arge can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 6oz can tomato paste (you could use more tomatoes or sauce too, but the paste is good to have on hand so you thicken the chili, if needed)
1 large chopped onion
1 or 2 Tablespoons of chili powder (1 is a minimum, add more to taste,-I use about 2 or so) but be careful...too much will overwhelm it)
2-3 cloves garlic or equivalent from a jar of chopped garlic (this is kept refrig'd and maybe near produce)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 small can chopped green chili's (found with Mex. foods---this is optional)
Also optional: dash of oregano and/or ground cumin, lot of Tabasco, dash of sugar)

Directions:

Brown beef or turkey in a samll amount of oil, drain and set aside. (don't overcook)
Cook chopped onions in skillet used for beef 2-3 minutes on medium heat or until translucent.
In large pot or crock pot, combine all other ingredients except tomato paste.
Add onions and beef or turkey..
Heat on low heat until nice and bubbly---stir now and then. If it seems too thin, add tomato paste...if too thick, take the paste and mix it with water, then add..

#59 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

I think the primary key to good chili is using good chiles.  I get dried whole chiles from the local latin markets in Highlandtown, they are fantastic.  Choose a couple each of a few different varieties, toast them, soak them in water, then puree.  Also the best way to make kickass enchilada or ranchero sauce.  If you can't find them or the ones at the normal grocery store suck (if they are very dry and brittle, they are bad, you want soft and pliable like leather), then get a good ground chili powder (don't use one that's been sitting in your spice drawer for years and years) and mix it with some of the sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.

No matter what type you're making, the chile peppers are what makes it taste like really good chili.  I haven't come across a chili variant that I don't enjoy.  Ground beef, whole beef chunks, turkey, chicken, pork...beans or no beans...lots of veggies (tomato, bell pepper, tomatillo, zucchini) or only onions and garlic...everything is good.  My favorites are a Texas-style red (diced chunks of beef, no beans, lots of chile paste) and white chili (smoked chicken thighs, white beans, lots of ground cumin).

This is making me hungry for chili.

I'm a big proponent of getting beef chunks and browning them hard first, then getting all the dark bits off the bottom of the pan when you saute the onions. At the very end of cooking i take a potato masher and use that to basically shred the beef, the texture is so much better than using ground meat.

I also like to add some fresh chilis (serrano and habanero) mixed with the rehydrated dried ones/powders.

My final tip is to balance the heat with a touch of sweetness (not to make it sweet, just to take the edge off and round out the taste). Sometimes I throw in a couple glugs of red wine, or a good octoberfest beer, or some chocolate for a mole style flavor profile.

• JeremyStrain and Mackus like this
@DaKittenz

#60 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:15 PM

I bought a couple carbon steel pans and just finished my first ribeye in one. Great, great pan for steaks.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

Our Sponsors

width=