• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:33 AM

The Durkin era starts for real, as the season arrives.

Chance to get a first glimpse of the roster, and the schemes on both sides of the ball.

Chance to get a lot of players on the field, and get their feet wet.

Big Ten Network.

Dish: 588, HD 5441, Hopper 405-2
DirecTV: 610-1
AT&T: 691 (HD 1691)
Verizon: 330

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

This game will lack drama and suspense, but I'm still looking forward to it for obvious reasons. I want to see how focused they are against a clearly inferior opponent. I want to see how many penalties they take. I want to see if Hills is more fundamentally sound under Bell and Durkin. I want to see the lines do their thing. Most of all, I want to see us escape Howard with no major injuries. Let's go. I'm pumped.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

I always look forward to CFB or football of any type, but I admit to really be anxious to seeing this years Terps squad.  

I expect this year to still be a challenge, but I think Maryland is on the right track with the new facilities on the horizon and a young aggressive energetic staff.  I don't think Edsal was a bad football guy but he and his schemes were boring and boring does not attract 18 year old kids.

Looking forward to the growth of the program.

@mikeghg

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:27 AM

I expect the season to be more of a struggle than we'd like to see (though not this particular game) but I think it will be easy to be able to see the potential for success not so far down the road.  As long as the season isn't a complete 2-3 win disaster, I think all the fans will continue to see the progress made with the new staff and the building momentum even if it doesn't translate to immediate on-field success and a bowl game.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

Who is going? Who will be here for the game thread?

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

Not going but I'll be posting.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

Have a fantasy draft during the game so likely won't be in this game thread.

Didn't renew my season tickets this year (going to just two games, OSU and MSU) so I will be around for more game threads I would think, although college football Saturdays are much more to me than just the Terps -- I love them.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:50 PM

The Durkin era starts for real, as the season arrives.

Chance to get a first glimpse of the roster, and the schemes on both sides of the ball.

Chance to get a lot of players on the field, and get their feet wet.

Well, they are playing Howard..so, this is sorta true.   :D

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:51 PM

I'll be there. Really looking forward to being back on campus for the first time since commencement back in May. I'll probably be going to every game this season, getting Young Alumni season tickets next year. This year, I'll be hanging out in the student section like I never left!

You can catch me tailgating in lot MV (next to Mowatt Lane Garage) with The Pride. I spent a good portion of last year making arrangements and planning for these tailgates. Now is the time to capitalize on that hard work!

@BSLZackKiesel

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:06 PM

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-29%20at%207.01.0

Depth Chart is here! Tons to cover, so here goes:

• Caleb Rowe and Gage Shaffer are still recovering from injuries, so Tyrrell Pigrome and Max Bortenschlager are co-backups to Perry Hills. This will be interesting in the Howard game, as we'll see how committed DJ Durkin is to redshirting one or both of them.
  • Ty Johnson wins the RB position, with a 3-way battle for the backup job. No huge surprises there, looks like Durkin would like to redshirt Lorenzo Harrison.
  • WR is where it gets really interesting. D.J. Moore starts at Split End (no surprise there). Malcolm Culmer starts at Flanker (no surprise there). But DeAndre Lane and William Likely are co-starters in the Slot (huge surprise there). Levern Jacobs moves outside to backup Culmer, and Jahrvis Davenport moves out to Split End to co-backup Moore with Tino Ellis.
  • Avery Edwards is a co-starter at TE, but with Derrick Hayward, not Andrew Isaacs. Pretty surprising there as well.
  • No big surprises on the O-Line, except that Mike Minter looks like he's healthy enough to start at LG.
  • No surprises at DE.
  • HUGE surprise at DT, where Cavon Walker is a starter alongside Kingsley Opara. Wow.
  • Since the team will use a bunch of nickle formations, Jalen Brooks will co-start with Shane Cockerille when the team uses 5 defensive backs.
  • No big surprises at CB.
  • Darnell Savage, Jr. beats out Josh Woods for the starting FS job.
  • JAKE FUNK IS A BACKUP SAFETY. TINO ELLIS IS A BACKUP CORNER. WHAT?!
  • Durkin loves his freshman safeties.

• BSLChrisStoner, Markus and CTSchwink like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:12 PM

Wow... lots of things to talk about there. And McLean isn't even in the 2 deep? That surprises me. Must be really raw.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:54 AM

They are awfully light up front on defense. I know it's Howard this week, but I wonder if there are changes coming when they start seeing the Big Ten O-Lines.

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

They are awfully light up front on defense. I know it's Howard this week, but I wonder if there are changes coming when they start seeing the Big Ten O-Lines.

You'll see about 5-6 defensive tackles get rotated in on a weekly basis. In addition to all 4 guys on the two-deep, Keiron Howard and Adam McLean should get solid playing time as well.

@BSLZackKiesel

#14 CTSchwink

CTSchwink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

New pod coming tomorrow morning. We'll definitely be hitting on all of this!

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#15 CTSchwink

CTSchwink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

Who is going? Who will be here for the game thread?

I will be at the game. Tailgating in Lot 9B at 8 a.m.!

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#16 CTSchwink

CTSchwink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:01 AM

Good to hear he's doing alright. Just another reason to look forward to the indoor facility.

Safety depth is a concern for this team, so hopefully Conyers is able to make it back soon.

I will be at the game. Tailgating in Lot 9B at 8 a.m.!

Be sure to follow me (@CTSchwink) and the Talking Terps account (@TalkingTerpsBSL). I'll be doing some tweeting until I get too drunk and forget about tweeting – as is tradition.

#17 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

One thing to note is that Howard runs a spread offense, so we'll see plenty of the Nickle defense right off the bat. It'll be interesting to see who gets the majority of the playing time at weak-side linebacker between Shane Cockerille and Jalen Brooks.

Also interesting to see Terrance Davis as Maurice Shelton's backup at RG. Looks like Durkin won't be afraid to burn his redshirt.

10 true freshman make their way onto the depth chart.

@BSLZackKiesel

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

Final Season Predictions?

Overall, I look at the schedule like this:

Must and expected wins: Howard, FIU
Swing games: UCF, Purdue, @Penn State, Minnesota, @Indiana, @Nebraska, Rutgers
Expected losses: Michigan State, @Michigan, Ohio State

In DJ Durkin’s first year at the helm, MD wins how many games? (Prior to any bowl.)

UCF was horrible last year, but were also recently a solid program, and I believe Frost will have them improved. Also believe back-to-back road trips to Florida can be difficult for the Terps.

The guys (Zack, CT, and Eric) on Talking Terps went 5, 6, and 7 in their picks for total wins... which seems plenty reasonable.

There are only 3 games on the schedule where MD just doesn't have enough talent on the roster to be really be expected to compete. So, it's what do you do in the other 9 games? You need some scheme advantage, and you can't give away games.

I feel like Durkin and his staff are going to make a nice impact in those swing games. I'll be disappointed if MD isn't in all of those games.

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

I'm going 6-6. They will start out 3-0. Then the real season starts. I think the ceiling is 7 wins... Floor is 4. A la, even with the amazing things DJD has done, I'd be very disappointed if they win 4 or less.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

I'm going 6-6. They will start out 3-0. Then the real season starts. I think the ceiling is 7 wins... Floor is 4. A la, even with the amazing things DJD has done, I'd be very disappointed if they win 4 or less.

I'm concerned about the UCF game.  Would be really cool to be 4-0 going into the PSU game, and it's doable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=