652 replies to this topic

#641 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 08:57 AM

Read Red Rising this week, first in a 6 book series. Looks like it will go in a different direction from here but this one was a mix of Hunger Games and Ender’s Game.

I've read all of them.  I prefer the sequels to the more violent Hunger Games version of the first one.  It's basically a big space war epic.  Not sure I think they are good, but entertaining enough.  The author drops in tons of pop culture references which I find both fun and distracting.  I think its worth continuing the series but if you don't like the 2nd book, the rest are a lot more like that than they are like the original.

• BobPhelan likes this

#642 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,970 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 March 2024 - 11:31 AM

I've read all of them. I prefer the sequels to the more violent Hunger Games version of the first one. It's basically a big space war epic. Not sure I think they are good, but entertaining enough. The author drops in tons of pop culture references which I find both fun and distracting. I think its worth continuing the series but if you don't like the 2nd book, the rest are a lot more like that than they are like the original.

Good to know! I have a hold in for the second one on Libby.

#643 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 April 2024 - 06:32 AM

Took much longer than it should but finished up "A little Hatred"  Goodness I forgot how he likes to put his characters through the ringer,   a certain characters daughter I'm looking specifically at you....

Making good progress through "The Trouble With Peace".  I think part of that is I'm familiar again with the world as well as these new set of characters, but I'm interested in seeing where this story goes.   Having said that, my least favorite character has got to be Leo.

#644 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 April 2024 - 11:19 AM

Making good progress through "The Trouble With Peace".  I think part of that is I'm familiar again with the world as well as these new set of characters, but I'm interested in seeing where this story goes.   Having said that, my least favorite character has got to be Leo.

Almost done with Book 2,  liking this one much more than the first.  Looking forward to seeing how this one wraps up.

#645 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 10:23 PM

It took until basically the end of the book, but finally some of the epic moments I expect from The Stormlight Archive.

Rhythm of War is just slower paced than the others.  It's my least favorite.

#646 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 April 2024 - 01:50 PM

It took until basically the end of the book, but finally some of the epic moments I expect from The Stormlight Archive.

Rhythm of War is just slower paced than the others.  It's my least favorite.

"No enemy can kill  Stormblessed"

#647 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,970 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 April 2024 - 03:25 PM

I love the Cosmere but Malazan makes it feel like reading Goosebumps as an adult when Stephen King is available.

#648 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 12:49 PM

No judgment, but I read a Court of Thorns and Roses to see what all the hype was about.  I keep hearing the second book is way better, but the first was incredibly predictable and shallow.  There were some interesting bits here and there, but overall I really don't understand how this is so popular.

Back to some Jim Butcher.  I haven't read the second book of the Cinder Spires yet.

#649 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 May 2024 - 07:47 PM

Finally finished "The Wisdom of Crowds" the 3rd book in the sequel trilogy, ugh I was so disgusted with how that third book wrapped up.    I smell one more trilogy coming eventually.  Decent enough books, but they are definitely a step down from the first three.  

#650 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:58 AM

This looks interesting.

The Last Manager | Book by John W. Miller | Official Publisher Page | Simon & Schuster (simonandschuster.com)

• BobPhelan likes this

#651 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,970 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted Yesterday, 10:39 AM

Ender’s Game (3.5/5) and Speaker for the Dead (5/5) recently.

#652 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:31 AM

About 1/3 of the way through Elantris which I hadn't read before.  Interested to see where it goes, the two main characters feel pretty familiar to his other series.

#653 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted Yesterday, 12:18 PM

About 1/3 of the way through Elantris which I hadn't read before.  Interested to see where it goes, the two main characters feel pretty familiar to his other series.

Like any Sanderson book there will be a couple of good swerves coming in this one.   It's probably my least favorite Sanderson book but still a fun read.   Having said that I really enjoy "The Emperor's Soul" which is a short story set on the same world as Elantris.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=