#1301 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:34 AM

I feel horrible for Falcons fans today. Especially the workaday ones who ponied up the cash to see their team in person. I was there in 2013, and was on the edge of my seat wondering if my team was about to fall victim to the biggest comeback in SB history. Thankfully that didn't happen and it was one of the best days of my life, if not the best. But Falcons fans had that happen to them -- done in by the GOATIEST GOATS of GOAT. Incredibly frustrating. I don't know how you honestly come back from that, as a fan. Incredibly crippling.

Yea, I bet they have not slept.  Has to be a nightmare of all nightmares.

The game was over if they just run the ball.  What a choke.

@mikeghg

#1302 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

I think it's completely reasonable to say "what if" and hypothetically take away this win and the previous win over Seattle.

But it's just as easy to look at the other side and say "what if" and hypothetically give them back both Giants losses, especially the first one.

Two games where they scored a combined 31 points. Sure, they easily could have won those games, but the offense was quite disappointing in both games. Eli wasn't that good in those games either, but his legacy is largely built on them. 

At least the offense did its job more or less last night, even though they had some considerable luck on that last regulation drive. Plus the pick 6 obviously hurts. 

#1303 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

Atlanta just didn't run many plays at all last night.

Defense was tired at the end. NE ran 93 plays..Atlanta 46.

They needed to run more and keep the defense fresher at the end.

#1304 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

I still can't believe they didn't run the ball on that last series.

It will never make sense to me.

Ever.

Ugh.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1305 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

I still can't believe they didn't run the ball on that last series.

It will never make sense to me.

Ever.

Ugh.

It's like reading something from a Ravens game thread!

• Mike in STL likes this

#1306 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:59 AM

That Julio Jones catch was the greatest catch I've ever seen.  It wasn't as flashy as others, but I don't know how he even saw it, let alone caught, let alone got his feet down.  Best purely athletic receiver since Randy Moss.

#1307 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

That Julio Jones catch was the greatest catch I've ever seen. It wasn't as flashy as others, but I don't know how he even saw it, let alone caught, let alone got his feet down. Best purely athletic receiver since Randy Moss.

And after that catch, which put them in easy FG range, they went sack, hold, incomplete (poor play call there too btw) and punt. Lost the game right then.

#1308 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

The Bennett catch on the tipped ball was just as lucky and crazy as the Edelman catch. The Falcons CB/S was gonna intercept that and return it for a TD if he's not in the the right place at the right time. I think that would have made it a 25 point game at the half. 

#1309 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:20 PM

And after that catch, which put them in easy FG range, they went sack, hold, incomplete (poor play call there too btw) and punt. Lost the game right then.

They ran on first down for a loss of 1.  Then had the sack on 2nd, hold on 3rd and incomplete on the replay of 3rd.

Your point still very much remains.  Just run it into the pile and kick a 40 yarder.  In a dome with Matt Bryant?  That's pretty good odds, no need to risk passing and moving backwards to the edge of his range if you get either a sack or holding penalty, or both to knock you completely out of range.

#1310 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

They ran on first down for a loss of 1. Then had the sack on 2nd, hold on 3rd and incomplete on the replay of 3rd.

Your point still very much remains. Just run it into the pile and kick a 40 yarder. In a dome with Matt Bryant? That's pretty good odds, no need to risk passing and moving backwards to the edge of his range if you get either a sack or holding penalty, or both to knock you completely out of range.

And if he misses the FG, at least you burn up their timeouts(assuming they call them) and give your defense a little more of a rest.

#1311 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:37 AM

Brady's stat line was remarkable when you look at his pass breakdown.

Of his 62 passes, 50 of them were "short" (travelling less than 10 yards from the LOS). Of those 50 throws, a whopping 20 of them were thrown to RBs. On throws going over 10 yards from the LOS, Brady was a pedestrian 5 out of 12. With one of those being the Edelman catch.

(As a side note, can you imagine what the reaction would be if Joe threw 20 passes to RBs in a game?)

To create open WRs and easy throws, the Patriots basically flood zones with multiple crossing routes, run pick plays against man coverage. If the defense is able to cover those up, hit the RB leaking out of the backfield.

Atlanta was able to stay with the Pats WRs in the 1st half but their offenses inability to convert 3rd downs and stay on the field drove the defense's snap count way too high. All those WRs and RBs that were blanketed in the 1st half were finding space in the 4th qtr.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=