#1282 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:54 PM

Championships since Cle/GS have been pretty incredible.

Nova, Cle, Cubs, Clemson, Aussie finals...

#1283 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:59 PM

I watched the whole damned thing. The last quarter-plus was a fucking travesty. That has to be way up there on biggest one-day sports championship collapses. That was a horrendous fucking choke job the likes of which may never again be seen in the annals of the Super Bowl, and it's that much worse that the loss is to those smug fucks from Massholia. Fucking unreal. I knew the choke was on pretty early, and I never felt like the Falcons fully had the game in their grasp, even at 28-3. I've watched too much. It was just too early, and they did not put the boot down. Also pissed that the Patriots now have the "biggest comeback" record all to themselves. I'm sure a bunch off jagoffs from up there are saying that this is now The Greatest Game Ever Played. I'm sure some stato has already said that Dan Quinn is now on the short side of the last two record or record-tying comebacks in the Super Bowl...tonight as head coach, and two years ago as DC with Seattle. The only reason I watched was because Quinn went to Salisbury, so I hoped the Falcons could pull off the win, especially against the motherfucking Patriots. Big nut punch for many alums. Fucking ugh.

• NewMarketSean, DuffMan and Mike in STL like this

#1284 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:42 AM

Someone check on NMS

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1285 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:45 AM

I'm alive. Slept like shit though.
  • Don Quixote likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1286 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:46 AM

It's amazing what running the ball can do, right? And how so many head coaches have no fucking ability to grasp that concept including our own. Now the Patriots have two titles because the other coach couldn't just run the damn ball. Tragic.
  • Don Quixote and Mike in STL like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1287 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:20 AM

It's amazing what running the ball can do, right? And how so many head coaches have no fucking ability to grasp that concept including our own. Now the Patriots have two titles because the other coach couldn't just run the damn ball. Tragic.

This goes back to what Weber has always talked about.

Tom Brady could easily be 3-4 in Super Bowls had the other team called a run on a few plays.

If he was 3-4, we wouldn't be calling him the GOAT.
  • Don Quixote likes this

#1288 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:57 AM

All the SBs he's played in have been close but Sea and Atlanta in particular gifted him 2 rings.

#1289 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:47 AM

Falcons ran only 5 run plays after taking a 28-3 lead.

• DJ MC, Don Quixote and Mike in STL like this

#1290 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

All the SBs he's played in have been close but Sea and Atlanta in particular gifted him 2 rings.

No, last night was more about Brady being Brady than it was about the Falcons failing to run the ball. 

If the ball that Edelman catches gets picked off like it should have been,  they lose.

#1291 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

No one should be surprised this happened. I know that will be the narrative, about how shocking and spectacular this comeback was, and it was spectacular, but it was to be expected. Even down 28-3, I knew they'd at least make it a close game, if not win it.  Everyone did...even the media who will spend all offseason fellating the Patriots. If the Falcons were down 28-3 and came back and won, that's shocking. That's surprising. That's worth ruining your underwear over. But the GOAT franchise with the GOAT QB and the GOAT head coach doing it? Predictable.

So let's just leave it at that. Brady is GOAT. Belechick is GOAT. The Patriots have their own freaky David Tyree play to hang their hats on now. It's just so magical and cute and rainbows and unicorns. That's it. End of discussion. There's no where else to take this narrative.  It's one dimensional. It's boring.

• Mike in STL likes this

#1292 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

MM would say that's too many running plays.

#1293 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

Weird but they did have the MVP under center and a top 3 WR making video game catches.

They just ran into the GOAT buzzsaw.

#1294 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

This goes back to what Weber has always talked about.

Tom Brady could easily be 3-4 in Super Bowls had the other team called a run on a few plays.

If he was 3-4, we wouldn't be calling him the GOAT.

I think it's completely reasonable to say "what if" and hypothetically take away this win and the previous win over Seattle.

But it's just as easy to look at the other side and say "what if" and hypothetically give them back both Giants losses, especially the first one.

#1295 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

Weird but they did have the MVP under center and a top 3 WR making video game catches.

They just ran into the GOAT buzzsaw.

Brady was phenomenal in the 2nd half, but that phenomenality (dammit...that's not a word, fuck it I'm leaving it there) shouldn't have mattered and wouldn't have mattered if Shanahan calls a couple runs in obvious spots where all they needed was to get to a FGA, or if Ryan doesn't take bad sacks and their lineman hold in situations where you can't take sacks and can't hold.

#1296 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

The greatest NFL coach is from Maryland. There is that.

#1297 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

The greatest NFL coach is from Maryland. There is that.

Bobby Ross?

• DJ MC and Don Quixote like this

#1298 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

So who wants to make a bet? I take the Patriots in 2017, you all can take the field. I get 3-1 odds. So if I win I get $60. If you win you get $20. Fair bet?

#1299 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:48 AM

Why short yourself. You can get them at 8-1 online or vegas

#1300 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

I feel horrible for Falcons fans today. Especially the workaday ones who ponied up the cash to see their team in person. I was there in 2013, and was on the edge of my seat wondering if my team was about to fall victim to the biggest comeback in SB history. Thankfully that didn't happen and it was one of the best days of my life, if not the best. But Falcons fans had that happen to them -- done in by the GOATIEST GOATS of GOAT. Incredibly frustrating. I don't know how you honestly come back from that, as a fan. Incredibly crippling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=