#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Ngata is a very good DT...At times, he is a dominant force.

But the lack of pressure on the QB and his inconsistency makes him overrated IMO.

Now, people will say the Ravens don't ask him to collapse the pocket. First of all, I think that's bs and if it is true, then they shouldn't have paid 40 million to do what a big fat guy can do for 3 million....IE take up pace and occupy 1-2 Olineman.

It is not what is asked of him it is what he demands from the other team. Watch how other teams scheme for him. I go to all home games and watch all games 2 or 3 times and when Ngata is healthy he demands that teams double him. I think Sugg's problems late in the yeart were largely due to Ngata playing hurt. Early in the year (first 10 or so games)Ngata was get doubled and Suggs was seeing a lot of man up blocking. After it became apparrent later in the year Ngata was on one leg, Suggs was getting a lot of doubles and not just the TE chipping him.
Haloti when healthy is the best tackle in football and when we put the nickle package in is basically a DE.
@mikeghg

#22 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

It is not what is asked of him it is what he demands from the other team. Watch how other teams scheme for him. I go to all home games and watch all games 2 or 3 times and when Ngata is healthy he demands that teams double him. I think Sugg's problems late in the yeart were largely due to Ngata playing hurt. Early in the year (first 10 or so games)Ngata was get doubled and Suggs was seeing a lot of man up blocking. After it became apparrent later in the year Ngata was on one leg, Suggs was getting a lot of doubles and not just the TE chipping him.
Haloti when healthy is the best tackle in football and when we put the nickle package in is basically a DE.

Good point about Ngata drawing double teams. That wasn't always the case on passing downs but he def became a more disruptive force during the '10 season. He also was off to a great start in that regard last year. I def saw the change up to the point he got injuried last year in his pass rush compared to his first few years in the league. After the injury, he pretty much disappeared and it forced Suggs to take on more doubles and chipping and such.

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

I heard Eisenberg on the radio today, and from the way he sounds, the Ravens have almost "moved on" from McKinnie and really don't expect him back. Word is, the Raven shave lost favor with McKinnie because they didn't like how he looked a few weeks ago, and now this personal issue has caused him to miss the start of camp, and they have no assurances about him returning. This whole situation sucks, and it looks like we're going to get the short end of it.

So Oher will be back at LT, and Osemele is a little late practicing because he had a minor injury according to Aaron Wilson. Our O-Line is off to quite the tumultuous start, IMO, and that is the most important factor to our team this year as far as I'm concerned. Not good.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

Some more McKinnie sippets via the Ravens twitter feed:

Coach John Harbaugh said that there has been no further communication with LT Bryant McKinnie about his absence.

Harbaugh did say hat a chiropractor was the one who contacted the team about Bryant McKinnie. Doesn't have an agent.

Harbaugh said the CBA applies McKinnie when it comes to fines.

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Oline is important and was probably the biggest concern heading into traing camp.

I'll say this, the thought of the following is a scary proposition.
LT- Oher
LG- Rookie, Williams, Reid
C- Birk
RG- Yanda
RT- COmpletely unknown, maybe Reid

SO much turnover and moving around from last year and one of the mainstays(Birk) is another year older and was manhandled in the playoffs. We know Oline's, even ones that are limited physically, perform better once they gel and get used to playing together as a unit. This turnover would be bad. You would have only 2 players in the positions they were last year in Birk and Yanda. That is assuming Yanda wouldn't move back out to RT.

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

CSN Baltimore: Is this the Ravens' 2012 O-line?
http://www.csnbaltim...413&feedID=6703

LT Oher, LG Williams, C Birk, RG Yanda, RT Osemele

Interesting, lots of people projecting Williams as the starting LG (at-least to begin the year). If Osemele is going to start at RT, Williams might be at LG all year (unless, Reid challenges).

Lot of pressure on Oher, and Osemele (and for Reid to develop and challenge at RT, LG).

Team is infinitely better with an average McKinnie at LT.

#27 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Sources close to situation confirm that Bryant McKinnie is expected to report to camp Monday. He's on the reserve/did not report list.

#28 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

The fact that they gave McKinnie time here IMO tells you pretty much how they really feel about Oher at LT despite what Harbaugh says. They know Oher is a below average LT.

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

The fact that they gave McKinnie time here IMO tells you pretty much how they really feel about Oher at LT despite what Harbaugh says. They know Oher is a below average LT.

Disagree, I do think they believe Oher is better suited for the right side but he would improve on the left as he did on the right side.
The whole panick about the OLine is similar to last year. We were playing UDFA's all last preseason and then it straigthened itself out. I think if BMck comes in fat he will be cut. Oher will be the left tackle and they will use the 3 million to shop for a right tackle.
@mikeghg

#30 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Disagree, I do think they believe Oher is better suited for the right side but he would improve on the left as he did on the right side.
The whole panick about the OLine is similar to last year. We were playing UDFA's all last preseason and then it straigthened itself out. I think if BMck comes in fat he will be cut. Oher will be the left tackle and they will use the 3 million to shop for a right tackle.

Where can I sign off on this bet. As long as he doesn't pull another "stunt" in camp and isn't a fat slob who has any chance of getting in shape he'll be here and be the starting LT. They don't want this much turnover and or downgrades in the OLine from last year. Sure there is concern here, everything might end up ok but the fact remains that at this moment you have downgraded at 3 of the 5 OL positions from last year at LT, LG, and RT. Also, Birk is a year older and was manhandled in the playoffs. There is should be legit concern that his skills may have slipped some more.

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Where can I sign off on this bet. As long as he doesn't pull another "stunt" in camp and isn't a fat slob who has any chance of getting in shape he'll be here and be the starting LT. They don't want this much turnover and or downgrades in the OLine from last year. Sure there is concern here, everything might end up ok but the fact remains that at this moment you have downgraded at 3 of the 5 OL positions from last year at LT, LG, and RT. Also, Birk is a year older and was manhandled in the playoffs. There is should be legit concern that his skills may have slipped some more.

I am not sure what the bet your referring to is. I think that if BMck is too fat when he shows up and they deem him to far out of shape to help, they will cut him.

As for the downgrade, I agree with LG, but let's wait to see how the others play out.
@mikeghg

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

PressBox: Slow, Steady Installation On Defense is Pees' Approach
http://www.pressboxo...log.cfm?id=5049

#33 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

http://blogs.baltimo... ... -accident/

McKinnie back.. Says he is under 350. Seeing is believing.
@mikeghg

#34 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

I still don't get the whole McKinnie deal.

Last week Harbaugh says he's not at camp due to a personal matter. Over the weekend, McKinnie says he fell down the stairs and hurt his back.

I don't really feel like that's a personal matter; Harbaugh could have easily told the media that and I think everyone would understand. Why be so sneaky about it? Are one of Harbaugh or McKinnie not exactly telling the truth?

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

My guess is McKinnie is trying to save face with an excuse. I'm sure he'd prefer for people to not think he missed camp due to litigation over lock out loans. I think it was Eisenberg last week who stated that "The Ravens have lost favor with McKinnie". So it wouldn't surprise me if this whole thing still doesn't end well, although I really hope both sides move past this and he starts the season: In shape, and at LT.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

CSN Baltimore: Who is Jack Cornell?
http://www.csnbaltim...421&feedID=6876

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Seeing reports that Dennis Pitta broke his hand today. Not good.

#38 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

http://www.baltimore... ... 2282.story

Confirmation on Pitta

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

The Ravens Website has the story too. Hopefully back by Cincy game.

http://www.baltimore... ... _Hand.aspx
@mikeghg

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

Well, training camp has been awful thus far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=