You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Per Jamison Hensley:

#Ravens DT Haloti Ngata being held out of practice after tweaking hamstring in conditioning test. Not a good sign that he failed that test.

Then Aaron Wilson:

Haloti Ngata has been placed on the active physically unable to perform list, per a league source.

Not thrilled with the start of Ngata's camp, to say the least.

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

I thought he wasn't at practice because his wife was pregnant?

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Word was Ngata was clearly out of shape back at minicamps.. And lets go back and say that his work ethic and motor were something that was questioned at times in college. Now, granted, he's been a hard working great player to this point in the NFL but with any player there is concern about slacking or resting on their laurels once they get their big contract. Really hope that isn't the case here and it's more a case of wanting to heal fully and therefore not working out as hard in the offseason..

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

CBS Sports: Ravens Preview
http://www.cbssports...altimore-ravens

#7 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

So Rotoworld.com reported that Bryant McKinnie did not report to training camp as expected due to an "issue" and when asked for comment, Harbaugh said, "at this time Oher is our starting left tackle"

As if our problems on the line couldn't get worse, it looks like they are...

Writer for Rotoworld (Silva) even suggested that McKinnie isn't worth the headache and for the Ravens to move on with Oher as starting LT...
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@brobey1

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

Writer for Rotoworld (Silva) even suggested that McKinnie isn't worth the headache and for the Ravens to move on with Oher as starting LT...

Hopefully the issue is minor. The suggestion that the Ravens would be better off without McKinnie is ludicrous.

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Oher is a below average LT. Agree with Chris above, saying the Ravens would be better off without McKinnie is crazy.

BTW...wasn't he at all or most of the minicamps this spring, even the volunteer ones. To me that is a good sign that this is nothing major and he'll be in camp ASAP.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Per Aaron Wilson via Twitter:

John Harbaugh on when Bryant McKinnie might report: 'Honestly, I really don't know'

Keep in mind Bryant McKinnie is also dealing with lawsuits stemming from lockout loans, etc.

#11 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Quote from Rotoworld...

Coach John Harbaugh refused to go into details. McKinnie has a history of showing up out of shape and has also been dealing with lawsuits stemming from a lockout loan last offseason. "Until further notice, (Michael Oher) is the left tackle," said Harbaugh. McKinnie has been placed on the reserve/did not report list. Jul 26 - 7:06 PM
@brobey1

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:21 AM

A couple of Flacco busting myths.

I picked these out of Mathew Berry's 100 facts article he wrote at ESPN for fantasy football.

-Joe, along with Rodgers, Brady, and Brees had the 4 lowest INT % on underthrown/overthrown balls in the league last year.

- From '08-10 Joe averaged only 9 overthrows a year, in '10 he had only 6. He did struggle last year with 18 but the point Berry was trying to make was that Joe has generally been accurate.

So when someone tells you Flacco overthrows guys too often, or throws bad passes too often you can point them to this article. Not only has he generally been quite accurate but he also has been very protective with the ball. I've said this before, but how many times have you seen Joe throw an Int and been likehow did he miss a guy that badly??? If you're unbiased, you haven't been saying it very often. Granted, every QB throws INTs but sometimes it's because DBs, LBs make good readsor a QB not accounting for a defensive player.

BTW....I'm telling you right now that it's a near lock that Joe's comp % will be back above 60%. Last year was a fluke in that reagrd. He threw a lot of balls away(horrible playcalling) and we had a lot of drops.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

I think you will see the overthrown balls come down as Torrey Smith develops in this offense. As I recall there were a few overthrown to Smith last year.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

I think you will see the overthrown balls come down as Torrey Smith develops in this offense. As I recall there were a few overthrown to Smith last year.

I think Flacco having some deep threats for once in Evans and T. Smith really forced his hand to go for it more with the long ball. I think that number will get in check as you alluded to. Good point.

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Smith also had a bad habit of tripping over his own legs during those fly patterns last year. It was infuriating at times.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

The Ngata stuff in inexcusable. I have never really liked the extension and always felt he was overrated...this news just irritates you.

The McKinney stuff is really worrisome. Even if he is average at best, we are still better with him at LT and Oher at RT.

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

I don't know that Ngata is overrated per se, but I do agree that interior Dlineman is the "least important" position on defense.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

I disagree completely that Ngata is overrated. I agree that he disappeared for whatever reasons in the second half of last year, but when he's at his best I think he's the best player on the defense right now, including Suggs when healthy (and Suggs is incredible).

I need to hear more about this conditioning thing. The snippets make it sound like he pulled a muscle in the conditioning test. That's not necessarily an indication that he was out of shape. Are there reports saying that he showed up not in the best condition or is this just an injury and people are making unfair assumptions?

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

I disagree completely that Ngata is overrated. I agree that he disappeared for whatever reasons in the second half of last year, but when he's at his best I think he's the best player on the defense right now, including Suggs when healthy (and Suggs is incredible).

I need to hear more about this conditioning thing. The snippets make it sound like he pulled a muscle in the conditioning test. That's not necessarily an indication that he was out of shape. Are there reports saying that he showed up not in the best condition or is this just an injury and people are making unfair assumptions?

I'm with you. There are times where I think Ngata could be more of a force with moving the line back, but deserves the acclaim he receives. He apparently played injured most of the 2nd half last year, and I think that is why he disappeared.

Agreed, with needing to hear more about the current conditioning. I understand people being concerned by any conditioning worries after a contract has been signed, but he has always worked hard while in a Ravens uniform. I'd be surprised to see that change now. I imagine this is a story that gets attention at the start of camp, that is forgotten about completely when the season begins.

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Ngata is a very good DT...At times, he is a dominant force.

But the lack of pressure on the QB and his inconsistency makes him overrated IMO.

Now, people will say the Ravens don't ask him to collapse the pocket. First of all, I think that's bs and if it is true, then they shouldn't have paid 40 million to do what a big fat guy can do for 3 million....IE take up pace and occupy 1-2 Olineman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=