BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

Recap of the Round of 16 so far:

Swiss tied up Poland 1-1 on an insane goal by Shaquri in the 82nd minute. Stayed that way through ET and then Poland won on penalties.

Wales beats Northern Ireland 1-0. Nobody could score. NIR gave up an own goal for the lone tally in the game.

Portugal beat Croatia (my vote for the team with the best looking fans) 1-0 in extra time. Ronaldo with a scorcher from in close that the keeper saved but Quaresma was left unmarked at the edge of the 6 and headed the rebound home at the 116 minute mark. The FIRST shot on goal in the game.

France beat Ireland 2-1 and the game wasn't really that close. Ireland took a 1-0 lead in the second minute on a penalty but only mustered one shot on goal versus 11 for France.

Germany - Slovakia is up next. Germany should win. They have Neuer in goal.....ok so keepers rule you know!

Hungary - Belgium later today    Don't wager on this one. Too close to call,.

• DuffMan likes this

#42 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

Well as expected Germany cruised to an easy 3-0 win over Slovakia. But what wasn't expected is that Belguim crushed Hungary 4-0 which tied the EURO mark for the largest shutout win in that tournament's history for a knockout round game. Belgium is a better team than they had showed so far but this was a big surprise. Sleeping Giant has awoken?

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

Italy leading Spain 1-0.

#44 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

"Mr Frodo, Mr Frodo!"

"What is it, Sam?"

"Do you know what time it is in England?"

"No, Sam."

"Second Brexit!"

• Markus likes this

#45 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:56 PM

Fucking England man.  

• Don Quixote likes this

#46 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:00 PM

So cool.. Iceland has a population of 330,000 or so.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#47 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

Well what a day for us football fans. Italy (the best team in the world when they lead 1-0) beats the two time reigning champs Spain, 2-0, then Iceland beats England 2-1 and they deserved to win. Not even 45 minutes after the game and Roy Hobson announced he is stepping down as the manager for England.

What a horrible couple of days for the FA. First Brexit passes which may have huge implications for player contracts in the EPL then they lost their manager. FA is in full out scrambling mode.......

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:13 PM

The Telegraph: England v Iceland Euro 2016 reaction: Roy Hodgson resigns as manager after humiliating exit to Iceland
http://www.telegraph...euro-2016-live/

#49 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

The Euros continue tomorrow with a quarterfinal match between Portugal and Poland. For those gamblers out there stay away from this game. Maybe place a prop bet or two but betting on a team is a crap shoot. These two teams are very very evenly matched. In the group stage only two teams earned 7 points and Poland was one of them. And they beat Germany and drew Germany my pre tourney favorites.

Poland has Robert Lewandowski, one of the best goal scorers in the German first division. But he has drawn nothing but blanks in the tournament so far. They are a very organized team that builds an attack from the back very quickly. They don't get razzled and they play a very solid team oriented game.

Now Portugal has Cristiano Ronaldo whose back heeled goal in the group stage was a pretty a goal as you will ever see. They are a strong team however they do rely on Ronaldo to make things happen. The good news is that he usually does. He has such energy that it is very hard to contain him for a full match. The bad news is that Portugal only managed three draws in the group stage and it took a goal late in extra time for them to beat Croatia.

So who do I think comes out on top. Hell if I know. Flip a coin.

But I will go out on a limb here. Soccer is a very odd sport and many times it comes down to an individual player having something to drive them. Ronaldo needs one goal to tie the all time record for the competition. The record is 9 held by Michel Platini. The guy who just got banned by FIFA for 6 years for some, lets say unusual, business dealings. BUT he is loved by the French and their fans will not want to see Ronaldo score and tie their beloved hero's record especially in France.

So I am calling it. Ronaldo scores (and pisses of the French which makes me really happy) and Portugal moves on.

• Markus likes this

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:13 AM

Goal.com: Eight games, zero wins - Why have Germany never ever beaten Italy?
http://www.goal.com/...6o1y03a6cva71l9

Goal.com: Wales 3-1 Belgium: Robson-Kanu magic sends Dragons into semis
http://www.goal.com/...22xu02y1/review

ESPN: Will Iceland's fairytale continue?

#51 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

Eight games, zero wins - Why have Germany never ever beaten Italy?

It's always been so hard to tell whether they're on the same team.

• Russ likes this

#52 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:02 PM

Well I was hoping to write up a long winded analysis but ended up spending most of the morning in the ER with my father in law. He's fine other than the fact that he's 92! I hope to be so lucky.

So the short version is this.  Germany needs to press high. Italy thrives on that and counters quickly. But this German team also recovers quickly. Their midfield tracks back extremely well. And they have Neuer in the net when all else fails. But Germany must play their game. They must press the Italians from the outset and make them scramble in the back. This is how you beat them. If you play too much buildup and holdup and Italy finds a way to get one in on you then you are in trouble. There is no team in the world that is as good at defending (bunkering) a one goal lead than Italy. Let me say that again. Italy is the BEST in the world at defending when they get up a goal. They do not score many. They know they don't have to. They know if they defend and score one counter that they are going to win most the time. So Germany needs to not let that happen.

Looks for Ozil in the German midfield. This guy is a true 115 yard player.  If he gets near the area he can be very dangerous with the ball. He will find Mueller or Super Mario (not Goetze, Gomez). Or he might just smack it into the net himself.  If Kroos and Khedira find time in the midfield then they will go to Ozil outside or target Gomez up high.

Bottom line is that the streak ends today. Germany has too much fire power for Italy to keep the slate clean. Germany wins 2-1.

But if Italy scores first then all bets are off. If that happens then look for the other Super Mario (Gotze) to do magic of the German bench. Should be a great game! Sit back, have your favorite beverage, and hope the referee doesn't become part of the game.

#53 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

0-0 at the half and the game went just according to the script.

German had all the possession and looked in control. But neither team was conceeding much in the way of a dangerous chance. Germany had one good chance mid way through the half with a long ball over the top into the box to Gomez but he couldn't bring it down cleanly. Then in the 42nd minute both teams had excellent chances. Germany first with a shot that was mis hit and went wide and was sent immediately back into the box. Schweinstieger had an open shot from the mark and couldn't hit it home. Italy quickly countered with a really long ball over the top and the Italian striker was onside. Got to the ball at the end line and sent it cleanly back through the 6 but nobody could get a foot on it.

And kudos to the ref! Well in control but not making the game about himself. Strongly keeping the game in control yet letting them play. Always a tough balance.

Not much more to say. Both teams just need to keep doing what they are doing.

#54 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

Both teams did what they do.

German played on the attach and covered back quickly when needed.

Italy played defense and countered.

Backs that watched this game saw a classic mistake in the back by Boatang. Holding your arms out to show the ref you are not holding/impeeding the attacker is all well and good. Until the freaking ball hits you in the hand. Stupid mistake by one of the top centerbacks in the world.

So it goes to PKs. Buffon couldn't get down fast enough on the last German kick.

Neuer stops two Italian penalties.

Germany moves on and it was deserved. Whatever they are paying Neuer,......it isn't enough.

#55 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:00 PM

Germany advance on penalties, after the match ends 1 - 1 aet. The penalty phase went nine rounds, tying the longest in tournament history, and the tally fell in Germany's favor 6-5, despite Muller, Ozil, and Schweinsteiger failing to convert. The three misses by Germany exceeded the number missed in major competition to date (two).

In off-topic notes, the sad blonde Italian fan they showed was smoking.

• Russ likes this

#56 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:30 PM

Germany advance on penalties, after the match ends 1 - 1 aet. The penalty phase went nine rounds, tying the longest in tournament history, and the tally fell in Germany's favor 6-5, despite Muller, Ozil, and Schweinsteiger failing to convert. The three misses by Germany exceeded the number missed in major competition to date (two).

In off-topic notes, the sad blonde Italian fan they showed was smoking.

She was hotter than that......

• Don Quixote likes this

#57 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

She was hotter than that......

I was trying to keep it clean for the thread's sake, ha ha.

#58 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

Schweinsteiger seriously looked like he was about to cry before he took his kick.  Just amazing how you can see the pressure getting to some of them.

#59 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

Schweinsteiger seriously looked like he was about to cry before he took his kick.  Just amazing how you can see the pressure getting to some of them.

It is IMMENSE. The only thing that is close to this would be something like a key putt at the Masters. And even then the only person you let down is yourself. As a keeper I hated and still do hate this as a way to end a match but the pressure is nothing on us like it is the shooters. Or maybe a FG to win the Super Bowl.

I was coaching a youth team and we made it to the state championship. We ended tied 1-1 after extra time and had to go to PKs. The coaches had worked with the kids all year for this exact scenario and had a "book" on who and the order to take them. So we tell the kids who is shooting and in what order. When we got down to shooter #5 the assigned kid told our captain he didn't want to do it. He couldn't, scared shitless. So my son told the captain he'd do it. And of course he hit the post and we lost.

The 8 hour ride home was the WORST car ride in my life. Didn't matter that the only goal we scored was because of his great run down the flank and the perfect pass he put onto the foot of our striker who put it home. Nope. All that mattered was that he missed his PK. We were watching the Germany - Italy match and my wife even commented "remember that drive home" from State. 15 years ago and it still is as strong a memory as if it happened yesterday. Imagine how these guys feel. They will carry their misses with them for a long long time.

• Don Quixote likes this

#60 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:37 PM

Semi-final #1 tomorrow with Portugal facing Wales. Lots of interesting story lines in this match.

- It features the two most expensive players on the planet in Ronaldo and Bales

-It features two teammates at Real Madrid facing off against each other .....yup Ronaldo and Bales

-Wales has scored 10 goals and won 4 matches outright. Portugal has scored only 6 and 3 of those came in one game. And Portugal has not won a single match in regulation. One win in extra time and one win in penalties after three group stage draws.

-Both teams are missing a key player due to card accumulation. Portugal missing Carvalho and Wales missing Davies and Ramsey (this one is a big deal, he was a total stud against Belgium). Stupid the way the carry cards forward into the knockout stages. Both Euro and Copa America messed this up.

-Portugal has made the semis in 4 of the last 5 Euros. Wales has only been in two major tournaments.....EVER, the last being in the 1958 World Cup (how many of you were even alive then?)

I think this is a really close game. Portugal may be a bit more organized and experienced but Wales finds a way to put the ball in the net and at the end of the day tha'ts how you win. And thus far Wales has shown to be the better side.

The "experts" have Portugal winning 1-0. I am not sure they can shut down Wales. I am going with Wales winning 2-1. I am still pulling for Ronaldo to work his magic but I think Bales is just so on his game right now that he will carry Wales to the final.

• BSLChrisStoner and Markus like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=