Photo

Did you know? (Trivia, random facts, etc...)

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:21 AM

Except that in the very first post I pointed out that Guthrie didn't count because he was left off the WS roster last year.

Not really chaning it up mid-game.

Good point... you're right, you did...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#42 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

Eli Whiteside for the Giants in any of those years?

#43 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

Eli Whiteside for the Giants in any of those years?

Not on the WS roster, but played for them from 2009-2012

@BSLMikeRandall

#44 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

He was on the 2010 WS roster.

http://sanfrancisco....xt=.jsp&c_id=sf
  • Mike in STL likes this

#45 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

I went by the baseball almanac site.

http://www.baseball-.../yr2010ws.shtml

After further review, they listed the stats, which I assumed was the roster. But I see now only 24 guys were listed. Whiteside must have never appeared. Even Fontenot was listed with zero ABs, I guess pinch ran at some point? 

I guess baseball almanac kind of sucks. They also don't list Madison Bumgarner as having any ABs, or walks, or anything. But he pitched 8.0 IP in a start, so he had to have batted. 

Baseball reference lists that in his one WS start in 2010, Bumgarner had 2 ABs, 1 strikeout, and no sacrifice, reached on error, HBP, nothing else listed, so I'm guessing fielders choice. 

Sorry baseball almanac. You made a fool out of me.

@BSLMikeRandall

#46 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:50 PM

After further review, they listed the stats, which I assumed was the roster. But I see now only 24 guys were listed. Whiteside must have never appeared. Even Fontenot was listed with zero ABs, I guess pinch ran at some point? 

I guess baseball almanac kind of sucks. They also don't list Madison Bumgarner as having any ABs, or walks, or anything. But he pitched 8.0 IP in a start, so he had to have batted. 

Baseball reference lists that in his one WS start in 2010, Bumgarner had 2 ABs, 1 strikeout, and no sacrifice, reached on error, HBP, nothing else listed, so I'm guessing fielders choice. 

It's been pretty lousy for a while now... dunno why....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#47 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:16 PM

I would've done the same thing. I just remembered Eli Whiteside with the Giants and was surprised he was left off.

#48 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:31 PM

Speaking of former O's, Chris "Chicken" Parmalee hit two homers tonight in his first start for the MFYs

@BSLMikeRandall

#49 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:31 PM

Question of the day.

From 1992 to the present, what is the Orioles home record? That maybe tough, so answer in the form of how many games above or below .500.
@BSLMikeRandall

#50 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

20 above.
  • Mike in STL and Cisc-O's like this

#51 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:53 PM

I know they have 1000 or so wins at home. Quick math- So I'm going to go 4 below .500. Re: I didn't take into account playoffs which may or may not change things

#52 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:54 PM

Def below .500

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#53 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:05 PM

They were always halfway decent at home even when they sucked ass. I think they're above.

#54 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

I'll reveal the answer around 10:00. Any other guesses? How many games above or below .500 the Orioles are at home since 1992?

@BSLMikeRandall

#55 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:06 PM

They've been really good the last 5 years and everything from '92-97 should have been fairly good. I'm going to guess over .500 but not by much. Somewhere around 10 over
  • Mike in STL likes this

#56 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:08 PM

Prior to tonights game, the Orioles were 1,000 - 959 in Camden Yards. 

I would have probably said under. They have been been good of late, not terrible in 92-95, good in 96-97. But there were 14 years of sucking hard in there. Would have thought under for sure. 

Russ was the closest with 20 over, Nickle second at about 10 over. Congrats. You win....I don't know....a like!

@BSLMikeRandall

#57 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

Trivia time!!

The Atlanta Falcons are in their 51st season and have not won a single pro football championship.

The questions are:

1. Since 1933 when pro football (AFL and NFL) started having a championship game, another city has also participated in 51 seasons to date without winning a title. Name that city, AND the names of the two teams that played in said city over the 51 seasons. 

2. Name the other six cities (Not including Atlanta and the answer to #1) that have participated, but never laid claim to a pro football, AFL or NFL title since 1933. (Also, Minnesota Vikings do not count as technically while losing Super Bowl IV, they still won the NFL championship as the two leagues hadn't merged yet). I'll give you one, Phoenix/Arizona count as one "city". Five more.

3. Which two cities in pro football boast the highest percentage of their total seasons resulting in a league championship? (Still post-1933)

@BSLMikeRandall

#58 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:07 AM

Hmm tough one.  I ruled out Buffalo, Houston, Detroit, San Diego and LA.  So I'm guessing Cincy.

The four teams never to play in a Super Bowl are Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville and Houston, but all except Jax won a title pre-Super Bowl.

• Mike in STL likes this

@fuzydunlop

#59 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:31 AM

Hmm tough one.  I ruled out Buffalo, Houston, Detroit, San Diego and LA.  So I'm guessing Cincy.

The four teams never to play in a Super Bowl are Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville and Houston, but all except Jax won a title pre-Super Bowl.

Correct on question 1. Cincinnati has 51 seasons on the books and no titles. 49 as the Bengals, and 2 as the Reds (1933-1934)

@BSLMikeRandall

#60 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:36 AM

McNulty also got Jacksonville right for part of question 2.

8 cities total have participated in pro football, but never laid claim to an AFL or NFL title since 1933. (Also, Minnesota Vikings do not count as technically while losing Super Bowl IV, they still won the NFL championship as the two leagues hadn't merged yet). 4 more to go.

1. Atlanta

2. Cincinnati

3. Phoenix/Arizona

4. Jacksonville

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=