• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:23 AM

WNST: If the season ended today, how much better off would the O's be for the future?
http://wnst.net/word...f15f41aa768d9f2

Interesting piece from Luke Jones (registered here as BaltimoreLuke (http://baltimorespor...ewprofile&u=238).

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

This is similar to what many of us have been saying.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Good column from Luke. Many of us have been thinking and saying the same thing but what goes unrecognized is the upside a season like this can have on the fan base and also how the team is viewed by players who may not look at Baltimore as a baseball wasteland.
The Orioles were predicted to lose 100 games this year by just about everyone. We are in late July and despite its flaws the team is still in the mix. My suggestion, is we have fun in the present while hopefully picking up a few pieces, like a Chase headley, that will help build on the current teams success.
@mikeghg

#4 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Of course we all went to be well positioned for the future. But it's too early to know how much an impact a playoff run this year could have.

Certainly, we are not in a position of strength for either a one-game playoff or an extended playoff run. But considering the unlikely nature of this season, once we qualified as a wild card, would anyone truly be surprised to see us pull out a World Series appearance?

Are you willing to endure another 5 years of below-.500 seasons if you can get a World Series appearance (or even win) this year? I think I am. Much as I'd like to be able to be a contender year-after-year, I'd be more than happy to be the Marlins of the late-'90's too. Win a WS, such for 4 years, win the WS again? Sounds good to me.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#5 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

WNST: If the season ended today, how much better off would the O's be for the future?
http://wnst.net/word...f15f41aa768d9f2

Interesting piece from Luke Jones (registered here as BaltimoreLuke (http://baltimorespor...ewprofile&u=238).

Nicely written by Luke, and I generally agree.

#6 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

If the season ended today, we would have missed the post-season by one game (I think).
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Of course we all went to be well positioned for the future. But it's too early to know how much an impact a playoff run this year could have.

Certainly, we are not in a position of strength for either a one-game playoff or an extended playoff run. But considering the unlikely nature of this season, once we qualified as a wild card, would anyone truly be surprised to see us pull out a World Series appearance?

Are you willing to endure another 5 years of below-.500 seasons if you can get a World Series appearance (or even win) this year? I think I am. Much as I'd like to be able to be a contender year-after-year, I'd be more than happy to be the Marlins of the late-'90's too. Win a WS, such for 4 years, win the WS again? Sounds good to me.

Very well said!! I think being in the hunt elevates the organization, and a playoff berth, given the dire outlook for this year, certainly stops the bleeding and moves the Orioles forward. We as a fan base justifiably have become cynical and negative over the last 14 years but this team even with all of its documented flaws has been fun to watch and have made Oriole Baseball relevant again. Energizing the fan base and changing the industry perception of the team is a large part of righting the ship. Fans come back, free agents take us serious and advertisers invest the $$$. That helps fill the needs of the team.
  • Nuclear Dish likes this
@mikeghg

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Kind of a buzz kill article if you ask me especially since I know Luke has preached in the past "enjoy the moment," not that he's wrong. It's the kind of article I'd prefer to read at the end of the season instead of saying how *lucky* we've gotten. I think he should've gone more into the farm system than just the talent at the MLB level.
@levineps

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

Anything can happen in the playoffs, but I'd be pretty surprised if they made a WS appearance especially given their rotation. As I've stated before, I'm conflicted about which direction to take with this team. But one of the reasons why I'm for making more of an effort is this might just be our best shot for a while. Who knows what the future holds.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=