• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Amazing how much more optimistic you can get, with a run of quality starts.

7/18 Hunter: 7.1 ip, 6 hits, 1 er, 1 hr, 0 bb, 1 k
7/19 Chen: 7 ip, 6 hits, 3 er, 1 bb, 5 k's
7/20 Gonzalez: 6.2 ip, 7 hits, 2 er, 2 hr's, 2 bb's, 5 k's
7/21 Tillman: 6.2 ip, 6 hits, 1 er, 1 hr, 1 bb, 4 k's

Pressure on Britton to match the others with a quality outing of his own tomorrow.

At AAA:
Matusz (3 starts): 1-1, 3.68 era, 22 ip, 18 hits, 1 hr, 6 bb's, 10 k's
Arrieta (2 starts): 2-0, 3.18 era, 11.1 ip, 13 hits, 1 hr, 4 bb's, 11 k's

On DL:
Hammel had surgery on 7/16. With 3-4 weeks of recovery time needed, you are looking at a best case of mid-August, with late August - beginning of September likely.

Quick thoughts:
1) I have no idea what to expect from Gonzalez. Right now, he is giving the team some quality outings. He's not someone I feel comfortable relying on, but he's also gaining my confidence that he can keep the O's in games.

2) I do think Hunter can help a staff. Would prefer him in the pen for a couple of innings at a time. Still, he is pitch efficient, and he limits his walks. Obviously he allows a lot of hits and homers. If he can spend the next month being productive starting, that would help a lot. Just give some innings, limit the damage, and turn the ball over to pen.

3) I've seen enough to believe in Chen. I don't see a collapse coming from him.

4) Tillman's had two very encouraging starts, and Britton is back in the rotation. If they pitch consistently like 4th or 5th starters, and give some innings; that can help. They both have the upside to be better than that. I have to believe that for the O's to stay in the WC chase, at-least one of the two is going to have to be consistently 'good', not just 'acceptable'.

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

I don't have much confidence in this current rotation keeping us in it in the second half.

However, I also don't think we can acquire anything that will be much better either.

So, help the pitchers by getting more offense and improving the defense.

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

I don't have much confidence in this current rotation keeping us in it in the second half.

However, I also don't think we can acquire anything that will be much better either.

So, help the pitchers by getting more offense and improving the defense.

I think someone like Blanton would help stabilize the rotation. Like Thome, I think he can be productive enough and as a vet help the young staff. Obviously, he;s nothing special but he also should be pretty cheap.

Other than that, yes, make a real run at Headley. Maybe a a guy like Dejesus as well, if the price is right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=