350 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

Do we really have anything to worry about, though? What bad deals have he made?

He's clearly shown either a disregard or a low opinion of many of our prospects, trading away 6 non-filler guys (not necessarily top prospects, but org top 20-30 guys) for Teagarden, Eveland, and Thome all of whom likely could have been had for next to nothing.

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Do we really have anything to worry about, though? What bad deals have he made?

Its not the ones he has made you worry about its the ones he is about to make that are the problem.
@JeremyMStrain

#23 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

He's clearly shown either a disregard or a low opinion of many of our prospects, trading away 6 non-filler guys (not necessarily top prospects, but org top 20-30 guys) for Teagarden, Eveland, and Thome all of whom likely could have been had for next to nothing.

They were had for next to nothing. That's what we paid.

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Its not the ones he has made you worry about its the ones he is about to make that are the problem.

But there has to be a reason for the fear. Especially for someone with an established record (particularly one for making good trades).

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

But there has to be a reason for the fear. Especially for someone with an established record (particularly one for making good trades).

I'd say the unrealistic view of the org. is kind of a red flag.
@JeremyMStrain

#26 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

I'd say the unrealistic view of the org. is kind of a red flag.

Eh, he has to say that. As a well-known generalissimo from another website is fond of noting, actions speak louder than words.

I think we should all have SOME worry just built in as fans of this franchise. However I don't think we have any reason to worry further about Duquette until he gives us a reason to do so.

#27 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Well, we did just get the fourth overall pick in this new draft pick compensatory system today. It can be traded and I imagine would be of fairly high value to some teams.

There's that..

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Well, we did just get the fourth overall pick in this new draft pick compensatory system today. It can be traded and I imagine would be of fairly high value to some teams.

There's that..

Good point. That's essentially a free prospect, for the Orioles or another team.

#29 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

Good point. That's essentially a free prospect, for the Orioles or another team.

That's the way I would view it if I were the GM - I believe that pick is somewhere around the 37th or 40th pick between the first and second rounds.

It also gives us something to negotiate with that the majority of other contenders do not have.

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

That's the way I would view it if I were the GM - I believe that pick is somewhere around the 37th or 40th pick between the first and second rounds.

It also gives us something to negotiate with that the majority of other contenders do not have.

It will be interesting to see what happens with these picks, since they can be traded.

What value will they have? Will they be viewed as the equivalent of a first- or second-round talent (essentially an A or B+ prospect)? Will the value drop a bit because of the wait before the player can come into the system (plus all of the restrictions with the inability to trade it again and the new draft rules)? Will it even be viewed as having real worth as something new and essentially abstract (no physical player or cash involved)?

It just makes the whole process more interesting, if a little odd.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#31 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens with these picks, since they can be traded.

What value will they have? Will they be viewed as the equivalent of a first- or second-round talent (essentially an A or B+ prospect)? Will the value drop a bit because of the wait before the player can come into the system (plus all of the restrictions with the inability to trade it again and the new draft rules)? Will it even be viewed as having real worth as something new and essentially abstract (no physical player or cash involved)?

It just makes the whole process more interesting, if a little odd.

Good questions - I think it would probably be viewed as more of a supplemental round type of pick. The prospect a team could draft with that pick would still hold enough value because it's still high enough in the draft order for the prospect to have some decent talent and it would be a guaranteed young, controllable player.

This new CBA has really upped the value of those types of players.

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

Would you rather pay 50 cents for a dollar bill or get it for free?

#33 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Would you rather pay 50 cents for a dollar bill or get it for free?

If only it were that simple.

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

If only it were that simple.

It is...and other pick ups proved that. The trades were idiotic.

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

No, we gave up two legitimate prospects for each of those guys. That's hardly nothing. Just because they aren't top 10 guys doesn't mean they aren't real prospects.

None of those three guys we got should have taken a prospect in any organization's top 25.
  • SportsGuy likes this

#36 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

No, we gave up two legitimate prospects for each of those guys. That's hardly nothing. Just because they aren't top 10 guys doesn't mean they aren't real prospects.

None of those three guys we got should have taken a prospect in any organization's top 25.

We got a quality defensive catcher with a career OPS above .700. Since 2000, only 89 catchers have had a higher OPS than him. If we gave up anything of value for him, well, we should have.

I'm still not convinced that we did though. Isn't the criticism of our system that we have essentially no depth beyond Bundy, Machado and Schoop? Why should anyone down toward the bottom of our top 25 count the same as the same number in a different organization? We can't have it both ways.

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

We got a quality defensive catcher with a career OPS above .700. Since 2000, only 89 catchers have had a higher OPS than him. If we gave up anything of value for him, well, we should have.

I'm still not convinced that we did though. Isn't the criticism of our system that we have essentially no depth beyond Bundy, Machado and Schoop? Why should anyone down toward the bottom of our top 25 count the same as the same number in a different organization? We can't have it both ways.

Would you rather the players we got or the prospects we gave up to add onto potential deals, like say Headley?

#38 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

Love the attitude. We've been missing this for so long.

Prospects can always be replaced, a chance at the playoffs is much more fleeting, especially in this division.

Duquette is going to have to trade something to get something though, so I'm not sure how he wants to keep everybody and get impact players back...

Could just be posturing on his part when he says he doesn't want to trade the "cavalry."

#39 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:00 AM

It's pretty ironic...

With MacPhail, we always wanted to hear more from him, and maybe make a risky trade and no one would be upset. With Duquette, we're praying he just stands pat and does nothing stupid.

It's not ironic, it's completely normal: Whatever posture the GM takes, message board people think he's a dope because they are entirely sure that they know better. It happens all the time. Anything different would be abnormal...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#40 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:18 AM

It's pretty ironic...

With MacPhail, we always wanted to hear more from him, and maybe make a risky trade and no one would be upset. With Duquette, we're praying he just stands pat and does nothing stupid.

MacPhail had flaws, but his conservative, well thought out approach to trades was a strength. I honestly never worried about MacPhail doing something stupid in regards to trades. He never really had a chance to "pull out all the stops" during his tenure and I think that approach was correct in that he was trying to build a core here before he made a splash, whether that was through trade or FA. We are finally starting to see a core develop. To the point that our GM should start being a little more aggressive, but saying our "future is now" and taking that kind of an approach is just dumb, especially if it means we are buying rental players for this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=