Photo

Kobe's last game vs 73 wins

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Poll: Kobe vs 73 wins (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are going to?

1. Kobe's last game (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. Warriors chance at history and 73 wins (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:29 PM

You can have a ticket to either....which one are you going to?

#2 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:47 PM

Kobe. Not even close for me. He's the reason I became a Lakers fan, he was my favorite player, and he's clearly a top 15 player all-time (could argue top 10).

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:48 PM

Kobe. Not close.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:51 PM

Says the Lakers fans. My guess is the avg fan would want to see the Warriors make history

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:58 PM

Says the Lakers fans. My guess is the avg fan would want to see the Warriors make history

You don't think they're too worried about the Warriors choking?

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:01 AM

If I could wait until the last minute, I'd see what Houston does. If they win, I'd watch Golden State try to break the record. If they lose, I'd watch the Jazz try to play their way into the playoffs. Kobe....it's his last game, but he's been "done" for quite a while now, so since I'm not a Lakers fan it wouldn't mean much to me.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:30 AM

I go with Kobe.

What if GS loses? That would be a real let down.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

I'll be watching both games. Should be a good sports night with the O's game as well. Just got to be able to stay up late.

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

Orioles at Red Sox

• BobPhelan and Mike in STL like this

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

Warriors. Never cared much for Kobe, and watching him play another irrelevant game does nothing for me.

Certainly get why Kobe fans, Lakers fans would feel differently.

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

You don't think they're too worried about the Warriors choking?

If you lose to Bosa and Minnesota at home you could lose to Memphis. Either way it's history.

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:06 AM

Orioles at Red Sox

Happens before these games. But at least you got a like from the biggest NBA hater on here. ;)

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:12 AM

If you lose to Bosa and Minnesota at home you could lose to Memphis. Either way it's history.

Both games are historic. 

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

Warriors. Never cared much for Kobe, and watching him play another irrelevant game does nothing for me.

Certainly get why Kobe fans, Lakers fans would feel differently.

In a way, the Lakers game may be more relevant than the Warriors game.

Why have you never cared much for Kobe?

#15 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:19 AM

Colorado
  • DuffMan and KWebz like this

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:25 AM

Colorado

That's fair.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:30 AM

Respect his greatness, his intelligence, like his competitiveness.... never cared for his personality.  One of the best two way players ever, but he was never a must watch for me.

You talked about the other day about how one 'knock' on Jordan would be that he never faced a great team in the Finals. To me, that really applies for Kobe. He'd be great in any era, but I think his best years came against a very mediocre league overall.

Him wanting to be traded in '07 and how he went about that wasn't great, but whatever.  Him and Shaq's thing wasn't great, but whatever. I looked at his salary these last few years say vs. Duncan, and didn't like that. Thought if he had taken less, and decided to be a role player... he could have been surrounded by more talent, and not gone through a final season with under 20 wins.  Ultimately, won't hold that against him... they gave him the contract.  Do think he could have done a bit more facilitating this year to the younger guys on the roster, vs. continuing to chuck away though.

• KWebz likes this

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

Respect his greatness, his intelligence, like his competitiveness.... never cared for his personality.  One of the best two way players ever, but he was never a must watch for me.

You talked about the other day about how one 'knock' on Jordan would be that he never faced a great team in the Finals. To me, that really applies for Kobe. He'd be great in any era, but I think his best years came against a very mediocre league overall.

Him wanting to be traded in '07 and how he went about that wasn't great, but whatever.  Him and Shaq's thing wasn't great, but whatever. I looked at his salary these last few years say vs. Duncan, and didn't like that. Thought if he had taken less, and decided to be a role player... he could have been surrounded by more talent, and not gone through a final season with under 20 wins.  Ultimately, won't hold that against him... they gave him the contract.  Do think he could have done a bit more facilitating this year to the younger guys on the roster, vs. continuing to chuck away though.

My knock on Jordan would be that he never beat a truly great team to win a Finals.

Kobe never beat a truly great team or anything close to it in the Finals, but when paired with Shaq, he did face very strong competition out West. If you're talking about his two titles without Shaq, he was very fortunate to have pretty weak competition those years imo. One of the several problems I have with people simply counting rings.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

My knock on Jordan would be that he never beat a truly great team to win a Finals.

Kobe never beat a truly great team or anything close to it in the Finals, but when paired with Shaq, he did face very strong competition out West. If you're talking about his two titles without Shaq, he was very fortunate to have pretty weak competition those years imo. One of the several problems I have with people simply counting rings.

Yeah, I agree with the counting rings argument... doesn't mean much to me.

In any discussion of the best players ever, Kobe belongs in the mix somewhere. Everyone will agree on that, with some discussion of just how high he goes.

For me, there were people with far less talent (and admittedly less results) than Kobe that I enjoyed watching play more than him. No specifics here, more about Kobe vs. other names. Just for the most part, when Kobe was on, it was often easy for me to watch something else.  Sure there were lots of great moments I missed.

But here we are at the end of his career...  the last game... and for someone that never had to watch him in his prime, it's an easy decision to watch the Warriors.  Style of play wise, would still be true for me even without GS going for 73.   I'm more interested in Cavs / Pistons than I am in Kobe tonight.

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:58 AM

I know Weber and others will think I'm just trolling but if you swap Kobe in place of LBJ for all of LBJs final appearances I think Kobe has at least the 2 titles James has. Maybe more. However, swap LBJ into the Finals appearances Kobe has been in and I'm very skeptical LBJ has 5. I think he likely would have won from '00-02 with Shaq but doubt he gets two more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=