#81 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:53 AM

If they would jettison him so soon they shouldn't have even put him on the OD roster.

I would continue playing him 2 times a week, see what he's got -- hope he shows something at the 11th hour and if he doesn't, release him around May 15.

Yours is the more likely scenario. Just saying I wouldn't be shocked to see him gone pretty quick.

#82 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

At this point having Kim on the roster hasn't hurt the team. Hasn't helped either but hasn't been needed. At some point he will either become a liability or a contributor. Interesting to see which occurs first.

#83 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:56 AM

Either that, or they think they can get rid of him next offseason and save $4.2M. Is having Avery instead of Kim on the team worth $4.2M?

Avery isn't good.

Keep Kim.

Would anyone be shocked if we cut Alvarez in June? Kim could be ok.

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,529 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

Avery isn't good.

Keep Kim.

I'd be pretty shocked if the O's wound up cutting Alvarez. His fWAR the last 3 years is 0, 0.2, -0.3... but I think a lot of that has been tied to his horrible defense.

His OPS the last 3 years... .770, .717, .787....    his wOBA the last 3 years....  .330, .316, .333....

Don't see him being at a level in June where the O's would be considering cutting him.

#85 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

Sounds like Jones will be back soon... but if it was a situation where he was out for a significant time, there would be additional time available with Rickard playing everyday in CF.

Past that, two years ago at this time we were talking about how the roster had redundant options in Pearce, and Young, etc... if Kim stays on the roster, and doesn't seem completely overwhelmed... things will probably work out at some point where more playing time is available.

OTOH, if you are 6-8 weeks into the season, and he's playing once a week... maybe he becomes comfortable with going to AAA and getting some everyday ab's at that point.

Nickle wants to say this is a complete sunk cost, and the O's should just cut bait. Since they didn't do that, I think the assumption has to be be the O's believe he could possibly still help this team at some point.

No they don't want egg on their face. This is a PA power play. It's clear Buck doesnt want him on the roster and DD seemed on board with that. He said Kim was not going North two weeks ago. Someone either stepped in or they changed their mind and decided they would play Kim 3-4 times a month and let him rot on the bench. Which is more logical

#86 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:56 AM

At this point having Kim on the roster hasn't hurt the team. Hasn't helped either but hasn't been needed. At some point he will either become a liability or a contributor. Interesting to see which occurs first.

He's already a liability. We've just overcome it. Having 12 position players is a liability. Come into play as the season drags on. Everyone is fresh now.

#87 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

Avery isn't good.

Keep Kim.

In June yes. Alvarez will be fine against RHP unless he really can't mentally handle DHing.

#88 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:11 PM

Pedro Alvarez will be just fine. Pump the brakes.

#89 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

I hope Kim isn't rotting in the bench. He earns playing time by putting in the effort. When guys slump, they show up earlier for extra BP. Kim should be doing this. He should be in the cage, crank the machine up to 95mph, and adapt.

Defense isn't likely to get better. If he can't judge a fly ball by now, when will he? Like telling AJ o lay of junk balls in the dirt. Never going to happen. Thats fine. If Kim can learn to hit MLB pitching he can DH.

I just hope he's putting in the extra effort. If he's not doing more training, more practice than the rest of the proven guys...then it's a problem. Not a DD problem, not a Buck problem. A Kim problem.
@BSLMikeRandall

#90 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

Avery isn't good.
Keep Kim.

Yeah. I'd be shocked. Every reason to think Alvarez will hit and be fine. Kim, not so much.

#91 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,529 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

All-in-all, he's the 25th guy on the roster currently. Will see what happens from here.

#92 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:35 PM

iGsXfYk.png

• Dr. FLK, NewMarketSean and FFH like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#93 glorydays

glorydays
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

No they don't want egg on their face. This is a PA power play. It's clear Buck doesnt want him on the roster and DD seemed on board with that. He said Kim was not going North two weeks ago. Someone either stepped in or they changed their mind and decided they would play Kim 3-4 times a month and let him rot on the bench. Which is more logical

All-in-all, he's the 25th guy on the roster currently. Will see what happens from here.

If Kim can't play, he can't play man. If he's hurting the team, he's hurting it. I mean … simple as that. It ain't about that... I mean it's... It's not about that... At all. You know what I'm saying I mean... But it's...it's easy … to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about playing. We're sitting in here, and he's supposed to be the 25th player on the roster, and we in here talking about the 25th guy on the roster. I mean, listen, we're talking about the 25th guy on the roster, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about 25th guy on the roster. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about the 25th guy on the roster, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about 25the guy on the roster. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about the 25th guy on the roster man. What are we talking about? 25th guy on the roster? We're talking about the 25th guy on the roster, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about the 25th guy on the roster. We're talking about the 25th guy on the roster. We ain't talking about the game. [more laughter] We're talking about the 25th guy on the roster, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about the 25th guy on the roster right now. We talking about the 25th... [Interrupted].

Attached Files

• BSLChrisStoner and SammyBirdland like this

#94 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,540 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:50 PM

Dude lay off the weed......

#95 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:01 PM

Yeah. I'd be shocked. Every reason to think Alvarez will hit and be fine. Kim, not so much.

Late start to ST.  Not a very good pure hitter.  Will K a lot.

If he doesn't show power, he is worthless since he can't play the field.

#96 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:40 PM

Anything could happen, but Alvarez should be fine. His job is to DH against RHP. No reason to think he won't do that capably.

#97 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:53 PM

Anything could happen, but Alvarez should be fine. His job is to DH against RHP. No reason to think he won't do that capably.

I do tend to agree.

I'm just saying that I don't think he is a lock and I'm still hearing stuff that a lot of scouts think Kim can hit.

I just see zero reason to cut him when you are shaky in the OF, especially depth wise throughout the organization and your DH has some warts and a totally terrible year from him wouldn't be surprising.

Now, if you like what you see out of Walker in the Of and he continues to hit, you revisit this. Right now, you have no one to go to.

#98 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

I'm just saying that I don't think he is a lock and I'm still hearing stuff that a lot of scouts think Kim can hit.

Seems like the BSL scouts have decided those scouts and the O's scouts were wrong on this though...

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#99 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,151 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

Alvarez being bad enough to be released wouldn't be the craziest thing to ever happen, but I think he'll be just fine.

The transition to DH is the only thing that really concerns me, some guys don't handle it well.  I expect that eventually he'll get back to hitting very well against RHP like he almost always has.

#100 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,673 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:30 AM

He has a track record for power.   I think Alvarez will be what he is.  .240 average and 25-30 home runs and that is not worthless.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=