#181 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:20 AM

Well, I thought he was at least looking better as ST went along, so was kind of surprised they just stopped playing him half way through.

#182 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

How many times would a manager pinch hit a rule 5 guy when trailing in the 9th?

#183 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

He definitely has an approach at the plate you want to see.

#184 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

How many times would a manager pinch hit a rule 5 guy when trailing in the 9th?

I think that was more of a "well, it's about over, let's get him in there" type of PH than one where Buck thought putting Kim in made the team more likely to win, or that it was a key scenario.  I mean you did have the L/R advantage with Kim over Reimold, but other than that, I think it was mostly just a "let's see what he's got" kind of move.

#185 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, I guarantee you if runners were on or it was leading off the inning Kim would not have pinch hit there

#186 glorydays

glorydays
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, I guarantee you if runners were on or it was leading off the inning Kim would not have pinch hit there

Perhaps with your first major league pinch hit appearance but does that change now that he has a hit and shown some discipline to take a walk?

They were interviewing Britton the other day on 105.7 and asked him about Kim. Zack said he is doing all the extra work needed - hitting and defense... to get noticed and appreciated.

If he continues to work hard and take advantage of the limited opportunities - he's going to work his way into being an important contributor to this team.

#187 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

Perhaps with your first major league pinch hit appearance but does that change now that he has a hit and shown some discipline to take a walk?

They were interviewing Britton the other day on 105.7 and asked him about Kim. Zack said he is doing all the extra work needed - hitting and defense... to get noticed and appreciated.

If he continues to work hard and take advantage of the limited opportunities - he's going to work his way into being an important contributor to this team.

Highly unlikely. Unless fetching Buck his coffee is considered valuable. It very well might.

#188 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

If he produces then his role will grow, no doubt.

Trouble for him right now is both Rickard and Reimold are hitting, so even if he hits well in the limited chances he gets, he may not surpass those guys until they cool off.  Or if someone else gets hurt.

#189 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:23 PM

If he produces then his role will grow, no doubt.

Trouble for him right now is both Rickard and Reimold are hitting, so even if he hits well in the limited chances he gets, he may not surpass those guys until they cool off.  Or if someone else gets hurt.

Well, Looks like Jones is ok now and I guess he has to hope Flaherty won't start hitting as well. 

#190 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

If Kim is hitting well in limited opps but he can't get more time because everyone in front of him is also producing...I'll consider that one of those good problems.

#191 glorydays

glorydays
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:39 PM

Kim being a John Lowenstein type player may be a bit much because I can't see a platoon role out there for Kim the way this team is made up. But I would be happy with a Jim Dwyer type season - 80-100 games, 150-225 plate appearances, .260/.350/.375 and a good pinch hitting option.

#192 glorydays

glorydays
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:26 PM

Five straight starts, first homer. What's your thoughts now?

#193 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:37 PM

He's a starting corner OF

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#194 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

He's a starting corner OF

A likely All Star. 

#195 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

Never a doubt with him.

#196 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

He's proving himself.   A couple of doubles and a homer recently.   Gotta give him the job and let him run with it.   I might still platoon him and give Rickard the starts against LH's and just give Reimold the fulltime job in RF.    I'd DH Trumbo and have Pedro ride the pine for awhile.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#197 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:17 PM

Five straight starts, first homer. What's your thoughts now?

That Buck overreacted to his early struggles and didn't give enough credence to him needing an adjustment period.
  • glenn__davis likes this

#198 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,493 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:06 PM

Well I am liking what we have seen this week but lets not overstate this. It was his first display of any kind of power. For sure I am putting him in the lineup and hope he continues to progress. But he still has a ways to go for me.

#199 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:31 PM

Well according to Buck, Kim is a student of the game who benefited by being benched halfway througn spring training and observing the other guys play.

#200 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:54 PM

Well according to Buck, Kim is a student off the game who benefited by being benched halfway througn spring training and observing the other guys play. 

That's kinda clever... not that I believe it...

IMO, one of the biggest diif's between Earl and Buck is that Earl mos def didn't have a doghouse... not sure if Buck does, but sometimes I wonder if he does...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=