Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/n... ... d=26059392

The teams that will be eligible for the first lottery are the D-backs, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A's, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals.

The odds of winning a Draft pick in this lottery will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season. The half-dozen picks will be made at the conclusion of the first round, but after the compensation picks for free agents.

There will be a second group of six picks, coming after the conclusion of the second round. The teams from the first group that did not get one of the early picks will be re-entered, along with any other Major League team that receives any revenue sharing.

There's another wrinkle to this. These lottery picks can be traded. That's right, for the first time in Major League history, Draft picks can be dealt. But there are a series of conditions and limitations regarding such transactions.

Only a team that wins a pick in the lottery can trade it, meaning that selection can be traded just once. It can't be sold for cash, and it may only be dealt during the season. Trading can commence the day after the lottery is held and is allowed until the end of that regular season. So seeing a lottery pick or two involved in some July 31 Trade Deadline deals is a distinct possibility. They cannot be included in any Winter Meetings deals, however, with trading of picks again permitted at the beginning of the following regular season.

I'd love to see the O's get one of those... especially the first lottery, wherein six picks will be up-for-grabs and slotted after the free agent compensation that follows the 1st round. These picks CAN be traded, but only during the following season (2013).

EDIT: Steve Malewski reported that the draft would be Wednesday now, whereas I had read Monday... ah well. I updated the thread title. Apologies all.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

How had I not heard of this new rule?

Pretty neat. I don't know if it'll do a thing to improve competitive balance, but it sure is fun.

#3 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

O's have the best odds at getting one of the initial 6 picks since last year we had the lowest winning percentage of the eligible teams.

#4 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Is all the information of odds open to the public or is it a secret formula?

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#5 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

Pretty sure its not a weighted draft and all eligible teams have the same odds. Could be wrong though.
@JeremyMStrain

#6 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

Pretty sure its not a weighted draft and all eligible teams have the same odds. Could be wrong though.

The odds of winning a Draft pick in this lottery will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season. The half-dozen picks will be made at the conclusion of the first round, but after the compensation picks for free agents.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111130&content_id=26059392

I'd love to see the O's get one of those... especially the first lottery, wherein six picks will be up-for-grabs and slotted after the free agent compensation that follows the 1st round. These picks CAN be traded, but only during the following season (2013).

Interesting, it would be nice to get one of these picks. It would seem to help teams like the Orioles. I like the trade concept too. I wonder if MLB will use the David Stern method. Maybe we could a pick, based on compensating for an Angelos ownership.
@mikeghg

#8 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

A few points of update for the lottery tomorrow-

The lottery, scheduled to take place Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. ET in New York, is a mechanism designed to help teams perceived to need the most assistance by awarding extra Draft picks to some of them... The Competitive Balance Lottery winners and the order of their picks will be unveiled on MLB Network's "The Rundown" at 2:45 p.m. ET.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n... ... b&c_id=mlb
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#9 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

A few points of update for the lottery tomorrow-

http://mlb.mlb.com/n... ... b&c_id=mlb

Thank you for this.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

Can I bet against us getting a pick. I would totally do it right now if I could.

#11 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

The Competitive Balance Lottery winners and the order of their picks will be unveiled on MLB Network's "The Rundown" at 2:45 p.m. ET.

Apparently these picks can be traded during THIS season, if one were so inclined. Who knows, it could make a difference in acquiring a key long-term player. The O's never seem to do anything interesting, so it's doubtful.

I sure hope we get one of those end of R1 picks.

#12 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve

The Orioles just got the fourth pick in Round A (follows 1st round) of Competitive Balance Lottery.

#13 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

O's get the pick between R1 and R2! 4th in the lottery. Good news.

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Might be one of very few wins we get to celebrate around here for a while. Nice!

#15 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Might be one of very few wins we get to celebrate around here for a while. Nice!

Awesome stuff!

@AdamWolff

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Very nice. Could also be an intriguing option for SD in a Headley trade.

#17 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

Very nice. Could also be an intriguing option for SD in a Headley trade.

My thoughts exactly, but I refrained from mentioning it earlier, in fear of 'Headley Overkill Retribution.' :lol:

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve

The Orioles just got the fourth pick in Round A (follows 1st round) of Competitive Balance Lottery.

That is the first thing we have won in a while, Nice pick. I like this as a trade chip too.
@mikeghg

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

It really will be interesting to see how this impacts the trade deadline.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Should a team that just won the World Series really have been eligible in this? I get that MLB is trying to give small market/low revenue a chance, but I think any team that makes the playoffs should NOT be getting extra draft picks. This is to improve balance, not to help the teams that are already doing well.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=