32 replies to this topic

#21 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:43 AM

Absolutely. What is the saying "playing it close to the vest" - I think Buck does this and does a great job with it. 

Can you flesh out what you mean here?  ('Not disagreeing... just don't know what you mean... yet...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#22 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

Nutrition is such a small thing you wouldn't think about but it does make sense to make sure the small things are done properly and if they aren't done properly, it makes you wonder if the bigger things will be done well.

Is it a small thing? There have been a number of articles discussing it including one by Jeff. A team would have to be oblivious to have missed the conversation.

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

Is it a small thing? There have been a number of articles discussing it including one by Jeff. A team would have to be oblivious to have missed the conversation.

Not small in importance. Small in terms of obvious. There are much "harder" things to teach in terms of development.

Nutrition shouldn't be something high on that list because that should be obvious on what to do and how to do it properly.

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

Not small in importance. Small in terms of obvious. There are much "harder" things to teach in terms of development.

Nutrition shouldn't be something high on that list because that should be obvious on what to do and how to do it properly.

I imagine it's much more difficult to convince a fit 20 y/o that they can't eat whatever they want even if they are still lean and ripped than it is to teach the same kid to change their arm angle or rotate their hips differently.

#25 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:19 AM

We're on the same page.

I imagine it's much more difficult to convince a fit 20 y/o that they can't eat whatever they want even if they are still lean and ripped than it is to teach the same kid to change their arm angle or rotate their hips differently.

There have been a number of articles written by minor league players saying they'd like to eat healthy but can't afford it. When you're only making $20k a year and don't have adequate kitchen access, it's seriously challenging to eat properly if healthy food isn't provided.

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:38 AM

We're on the same page.

There have been a number of articles written by minor league players saying they'd like to eat healthy but can't afford it. When you're only making $20k a year and don't have adequate kitchen access, it's seriously challenging to eat properly if healthy food isn't provided.

Also Latin players who have issues finding better food options due to language limitations.

• Matt_P likes this

#27 ReggieYinger

ReggieYinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:20 AM

Also Latin players who have issues finding better food options due to language limitations.

This brings up another struggle - helping Latin players with the English language. I wish it was done a better way across all organizations. 

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:41 AM

This brings up another struggle - helping Latin players with the English language. I wish it was done a better way across all organizations. 

Has to be a major change.  US born kids going off to college often struggle with that transition.  Here we're talking about players coming to a new country... dealing with a new culture, while trying to build themselves up professionally.  All of the things going on personally having impact to their development between the lines. 

Definitely would think it would behoove organizations to do everything they can to help the players more comfortable, and provide greater structure.

#29 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:45 AM

However, I don't think they are ready to commit the resources at this point and time.

I'm not quite sure how to convert this question from jargon into English.

There's a lot of uncertainty when it comes to developing prospects. Economists (feel free to look up the Allais Paradox if you're really interested) have noted that people typically discount uncertain positive things more than certain positive things because people would rather receive something than nothing. This results in people choosing options that have lower expected values but also reduced risk (i.e would you rather a 10% chance of receiving $1M or a 70% chance of receiving $10K).

Is it your impression that the Orioles see the significant amount of risk involved in this case and decide to therefore reduce their efforts in this area to focus on areas where there is more certainty but have lower upside?

#30 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:22 PM

That's why they hire a chef, put the food right under their nose, and say "eat this."

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#31 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

That's why they hire a chef, put the food right under their nose, and say "eat this."

Most of his teammates, he recalls, signed for a thousand bucks and relied on their parents to pay cellphone bills and rent. The family that housed Broshuis lent him a beat-up truck to drive players to the ballpark; team meals consisted of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or cold-cut trays. When the offseason came around, everyone scrambled to find temporary work, often relying on private lessons to get through the winter.

http://www.motherjon...gue-wage-income

The per diem is $25 a day for minor leaguers and the monthly wage is $1,100.

http://www.milb.com/...?mc=business#11

#32 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:20 PM

Definitely would think it would behoove organizations to do everything they can to help the players more comfortable, and provide greater structure.

One of my arguments for trading MGon to the Dodgers.  Their top pitching prospect is a kid from Mexico and MGon could serve as a mentor and something of a caddie to help get the most out of him.  The Dodgers wouldn't care about giving him a 4/35 contract to be a starter, reliever, spot starter and help this kid along.

#33 ReggieYinger

ReggieYinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:52 PM

Just to update my statement on nutrition. This was recently published and is very interesting

http://ryanfaerblog....aseball-part-i/
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=