#1 AndrewFeather

AndrewFeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

BSL: UMD Football Recruiting Update

http://baltimorespor...ruiting-update/

With just under a week to go before National Signing Day I take a look at storylines to follow in Maryland recruiting.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLMikeLowe, Greg Pappas and 1 other like this

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

At this point what would be everyone's best-case scenario that is also realistic? Assuming 5 scholarships remain (I read it's already known a few guys currently on the team will be leaving for one reason or another, but until there's an announcement we'll go with 5 spots available).

For me it would be: 1)Hall, 2)Diggs, 3)two of Scott/Pigrome/Williams, and probably Goldbourne since a LB just doesn't seem realistic. If there's at least 1 more scholarship available, I'm fine with taking all three QBs if they all want to come and if Williams is in fact open to changing positions (though I'd be willing give him a fair shot at QB first).

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

Hearing Pigrome is Terps' to lose.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

Great stuff, Andrew.

I'll be posting a detailed look at each of the QB prospects tomorrow, so keep your eyes out for that.

@BSLZackKiesel

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:32 PM

Hearing Pigrome is Terps' to lose.

I've heard the same. VT is the other big suitor, but they already have a 4-star QB commit in their class, and Rutgers sounds like a distant 3rd.

Also hearing Scott is not exactly as sold on the idea of LSU as some might have originally expected, as he and his family don't believe he's a good fit in Cam's offense. I wonder if one of Scott/Pigrome is waiting to see what the other does, or if they'd be fine coming in together and competing against one another. I also didn't realize that like Fourcade's father, Scott's dad also played for the Saints at one time.

EDIT: Pigrome had his OV plans changed due to the storm....he was originally going to VT last weekend and MD this weekend. Now his plans are to come to MD today/tomorrow and then head to VT for the weekend. That might be a good thing for the Terps, as he can probably attend the game at Comcast (that always seems to make a good impression when the atmosphere is like it should be tonight).

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

Testudo Times is projecting a 24-25 man class, putting MD over the 85 limit, with subsequent attrition.

That would be interesting...

EDIT: Commit list updated...

Commits  
Terrance Davis, OG, DeMatha, 4*
Richard Merritt, OG, Archbishop Carroll, 4*
Jake Funk, RB, Damascus, 3*
Tino Ellis, WR, DeMatha, 4*
Terek Zingale, OT, Nordana (Ohio) 3*,
Travon Stott, CB, Good Counsel, 3*
Brian Plummer, OT, South Carroll, 3*
Darryl Turner, WR, DeMatha, 3*
Lorenzo Harrison, RB, DeMatha, 3*
LaDerrien Wilson, RB, Osceola (Florida) 3*
Elijah Daniels, S (Florida), 3*
Elisha Daniels, CB (Florida), 3*
Wade Lees, P (Australia)
Noah Barnes, TE (Alabama), 2*
Antwaine Richardson, CB (Florida), 3*
Max Bortenschlager, QB (Indiana), 3*
Qwuantrezz Knight, S (Florida)
Brett Shepherd, OLB / TE, (Georgia), 3*
Antoine Brooks, LB, Duval, 3*
Dion Goldbourne, DE/LB (Florida)
Tyrrell Pigrome, QB​, (Alabama) 3*
​Tyrek Tisdale, DB, (Florida) 3*

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

In addition to Bortenschlager they also just got a commit from Qwuantrezz Knight, an unrated S from Florida.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

Like Bortenschlager's highlights. Has enough mobility to buy himself time and is good at keeping his vision downfield while on the move. Also saw a couple plays where he stood and delivered in the pocket despite knowing he was going to take a hit. Decent enough arm. The biggest negative I saw is that while he will go through his reads, he doesn't seem to do it quickly enough, hence the need to scramble, so he'll need to improve on that.

http://www.hudl.com/...ts/292639386/v3

If nothing else, with a name like his he could go into beer brewing and make a killing selling craft lagers at the concessions during games.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

Lindsey Scott commits to LSU....  darn.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:43 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland 3-star DT commit Aaron Thompson hints he'll decide between Terps and South Carolina
http://www.testudoti...2543.1421091664

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

Testudo Times: Maryland 3-star DT commit Aaron Thompson hints he'll decide between Terps and South Carolina

The verbal commits these days are not worth the time it takes to recognize them.

I have confidence that Durkin and the coaches he has assembled, will prove to be real good recruiters.  They entered this years battle way behind in the 4th quarter and seemingly have worked tirelessly to make the most out of this years class.  It has to be frustrating for them to see a kid who committed less than two weeks ago say he might go to South Carolina.

I think it is two fold.  There used to be gentlemens agreements that once a kid committed, other programs moved on.  Now a verbal is seemingly ignored by just about everyone, kids and coaches alike.  The gentleman don't seem to be around anymore.

@mikeghg

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:54 AM

If he goes, and they don't add anyone else to the current committed group, that means the Terps will not sign anyone for the entire defensive front 7. That is really going to hurt 3-4 years from now.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:55 AM

If he goes, and they don't add anyone else to the current committed group, that means the Terps will not sign anyone for the entire defensive front 7. That is really going to hurt 3-4 years from now.

Going to clearly be the emphasis in the next class you have to think. Maybe a couple of transfer guys, to bring in some experience.

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

Going to clearly be the emphasis in the next class you have to think. Maybe a couple of transfer guys, to bring in some experience.

Can't really put what happened with this year's class on anyone, but I hope at some point Durkin is able to do a better job at balancing the signing classes. This year he had to overload on the secondary because that was the gaping hole Edsall left behind, but obviously now that emphasis is going to cause him to have to load up next year's class on DL and LBs, probably at the expense of another unit that will have to be heavily addressed in 2018, rinse, repeat. That does not seem like any sort of way to build your roster, constantly having to recruit certain positions just to put out fires.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

Can't really put what happened with this year's class on anyone, but I hope at some point Durkin is able to do a better job at balancing the signing classes. This year he had to overload on the secondary because that was the gaping hole Edsall left behind, but obviously now that emphasis is going to cause him to have to load up next year's class on DL and LBs, probably at the expense of another unit that will have to be heavily addressed in 2018, rinse, repeat. That does not seem like any sort of way to build your roster, constantly having to recruit certain positions just to put out fires.

Think they only way you get out of that cycle is by getting in transfers at the position of need, and having overall balanced classes.

With this '16 class, definitely glad MD has been able to add some Secondary help. Chance for this group to grow together. Certainly going to have an opportunity to play early.

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

Think they only way you get out of that cycle is by getting in transfers at the position of need, and having overall balanced classes.

With this '16 class, definitely glad MD has been able to add some Secondary help. Chance for this group to grow together. Certainly going to have an opportunity to play early.

That's probably true. And of course we don't know what kind of attrition we might see from the current team either, so the staff will have to respond to that next year too.

I'm also not trying to suggest you should or can have a perfect balance in every signing class. That's just never going to be possible, as you will always have signees that you lose before 4 years for whatever reason, or some that just don't develop well enough to get playing time. It just seems to me that the lack of balance was allowed to become excessive in some instances (first on the OL, now the secondary, and next probably in the front 7). And when you're Maryland and you don't always have your pick of 3-4 star recruits, and you go into a year when you say "I have to get at least 6 CB/S out of this class", then do you end up compromising when you get down to that final player? Do you take a chance on a kid who might have issues in the classroom, character question marks, or just isn't all that good a football player, simply because you really needed a body at that position and you cross your fingers that it works out?

#17 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

InsideMDSports: Georgia Linebacker Brett Shepherd Commits to Maryland

http://maryland.247s...ryland-43341115

So they finally got a linebacker. 3-star guy from Georgia.

@BSLZackKiesel

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

Good News. Like I said, Durkin is trying to catch up with 2 minutes left to go in the game, but he is working hard and making progress.

Frankly, he gets graded on a big old curve, this year.

@mikeghg

#19 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

Hearing that Pigrome is ineligible.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note