Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:23 PM

First Trumbo. Now Navarro.

Boy, the number of RC Quakes that I remember seeing play that are now on the O's has doubled in the coarse of just one offseason.

Now, if they could just get my boy Hank Conger I'll be butt-happy. Oh, and I guess that Trout dude too.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#22 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:23 PM

So far only one person has really shown anger.

You know, for the record.

I don't see the pitchforks

Mackus and Latin-Bird tag-teamed to nip it in the bud...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#23 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:06 AM

He really has the most bland, boring comments on everything. He probably said the same thing when we re-signed Davis.

Yeah, he is a bit of an odd duck. He and Buck are at the opposite ends of the charisma scale.

#24 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:52 AM

So far only one person has really shown anger.

You know, for the record.

I don't see the pitchforks

What about now?

140125_SteelArmy_Photos_PitchforksTorche

Oh boy, print the playoff tickets! :roll:

In all seriousness, I just don't get the point of this.  The guy is terrible.  He has an option.  DD loves options.  Which means, he thinks he might need to use this terrible players.  Again, not a major move.  So it's no big deal.  But I'd rather just have Hoes (both the player...and the 'workers').

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

Yea, the real issue isn't the move itself.  Its fine.

But if there is thought of him getting real time up here or getting some chance to be part of a CO platoon, that's an issue.

But the guy has ML experience and having that sitting in AAA in case you need someone for a week or 2 because of injuries isn't a bad thing.  But he isn't the guy I would want that first chance going to, that's for sure.

#26 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:22 AM

I just don't understand the move.  I'd rather have Hoes but it really is inconsequential.

Perhaps it's just throwing a bone to Norfolk

@Miller192

#27 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

Yeah, they liked the LH bat, the option and the position flexibility over Hoes. No big deal. Something better comes along he could be gone in a week or two.

#28 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

Plus there's a chance Hoes stays with the system at AAA too. You'd have to assume the O's consider this some kind of win win if it works out that way.

Plus I heard they deferred $500 the cash considerations to Houston through 2050 in deferred money, so in NPV it's like it didn't cost us anything!  :-P

• Dr. FLK and Mackus like this

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:49 AM

I just don't understand the move.  I'd rather have Hoes but it really is inconsequential.

They may still have Hoes.  They DFA'd him.  Possible he passes through waivers and can be outrighted to the minors.

#30 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:52 AM

Plus I heard they deferred $500 the cash considerations to Houston through 2050 in deferred money, so in NPV it's like it didn't cost us anything!  :-P

Really. I heard that those $500 in cash considerations are going to be the reason why the Os won't be able to spend on a top free agent in 2050! I mean, it's a huge cost on the old balance sheet!

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

At least he has an option.

But they trade cash for Hoes, then DFA him....odd for a team on a budget. Then again they just gave Davis a Brinks truck, so maybe they are done crying poor.

Think back to all the money DD threw away last year.

Dan has disposable income I guess, last year it ws about 15 million in waived players.   What they lost on LJ, was minimal.

@mikeghg

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

Navarro brings a left handed bat.  That is the bigger need right now.

Both are basically AAAA players though.

@mikeghg

#33 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

No cash-for-Hoes jokes?

Are we all old men now?

#34 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

No cash-for-Hoes jokes?

Are we all old men now?

Well, credit usually doesn't fly. 

#35 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

Have no problem with them trading for and signing AAA depth. That's all this was intended to be. Respect that they attempt to put together winning AAA clubs too. A competitive team is good for any prospects that are there.

#36 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:02 PM

Every franchise needs filler... and it's best if that filler can plug a hole on the big club for a game or three if events conspire to make that necessary...

Belittling DD for what he said about this guy is goofy... what's he s'posed to say?  "This guy is lousy, he'll never make it, but we might need him for a game or two... hopefully we won't ever have to count on him, but if we do, at least we have him.  What he's mainly here to do is ride a bus."   You expect him to say that?

• Matt_P likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#37 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

You expect him to say that?

I'd like to hear him say, "We're going to give this guy a starting job. We think he fills our hole at [select position here]", just to troll everyone. Is that too much to ask for?

#38 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

Belittling DD for what he said about this guy is goofy... what's he s'posed to say? "This guy is lousy, he'll never make it, but we might need him for a game or two... hopefully we won't ever have to count on him, but if we do, at least we have him. What he's mainly here to do is ride a bus." You expect him to say that?

If you're referring to my comment, it was only a joke. I like DD, but if you don't find him nerdy, awkward and uncharismatic, I don't know what to say. As far as the move here, it's much ado about nothing.

#39 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

I'd like to hear him say, "We're going to give this guy a starting job. We think he fills our hole at [select position here]", just to troll everyone. Is that too much to ask for?

The job of any leader in any organization includes making the people under him feel good about themselves and make them feel the job they have is important... for DD to not do that just to satisfy what somebody else wants to hear would be irresponsible...

#40 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

The job of any leader in any organization includes making the people under him feel good about themselves and make them feel the job they have is important... for DD to not do that just to satisfy what somebody else wants to hear would be irresponsible...

It would be totally irresponsible to say that we think he's going to be one of the best free agents signed this year. But it would be great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=