#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,525 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

It's not even a momentum thing for me so much as it is a quality win thing. The opportunities are limited at this point, due to a down B1G... and this is an opportunity to technically UPSET (Who before the year circled this date as an upset possibility?) a team, and it's at home. If the Terps want a 1 or a 2 seed, they need to win a game like this, IMO.

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

@ChadLeistikow

Jarrod Uthoff was asked about the challenges of playing in a new arena (Maryland's). He responded, "There are none."

Supply that bulletin board material.

Turgeon may remind everyone that  this is the team that poked Melo in the eye last year, IMO on purpose.  Anyway to fire up your team is good.

@mikeghg

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:02 PM

It's not even a momentum thing for me so much as it is a quality win thing. The opportunities are limited at this point, due to a down B1G... and this is an opportunity to technically UPSET (Who before the year circled this date as an upset possibility?) a team, and it's at home. If the Terps want a 1 or a 2 seed, they need to win a game like this, IMO.

I agree they have to win this game to get a one seed. They could still get a 2 with a loss by winning the Big Ten tourney, but I doubt they'd be a one even if that happened if they lose this game.

Also, losing to Iowa would just about eliminate any reasonable shot of the reg season title as we'd have 3 losses to Iowa's 0 and they'd have the head-to-head tiebreaker over us.

They really need a win tomorrow for many reasons: practical, logical, and emotional.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:21 PM

1 or 2 seed is gone without a win. I guess if they reeled off the next 9 and won the Conference Tourney it's still possible. The point is, it's crucial for seeding.

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

The thing is, I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. Could see it playing any way. We win rather easily, they win rather easily. We win a tight one, they win a tight one.

I guess that doesn't matter as much as bringing more than just 10-12 good minutes of basketball. Give me 25 min of good basketball.

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

I think if we win the big ten tourney that we get a 2 seed even if they end up losing 5 conference games. Winning the conference tourneys is given a lot of weight.

I do still have sights on obtaining one of my season goals of winning the conference again. Lose tomorrow, and that likely goes bye bye.

#27 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

I think if we win the big ten tourney that we get a 2 seed even if they end up losing 5 conference games. Winning the conference tourneys is given a lot of weight.

I do still have sights on obtaining one of my season goals of winning the conference again. Lose tomorrow, and that likely goes bye bye.

Would depend on a few factors but I find that very unlikely if we lose tomorrow. Especially, if there is an upset in the Conference Tourney and we don't beat both Iowa and Michael St or Purdue or Indiana. Would need at least two quality wins there. Also would depend on what other #2 seed contenders were doing. You have to remember that we thought we were a 3, possibly even 2, seed last year and we ended up a 4. Resume just isn't gonna be strong. I think Palm has us closers to the right seed right now than anyone else.

#28 Michael Keltics

Michael Keltics
  • Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

There's no doubt this team has a ton of talent, but inconsistent defense and poor rebounding have allowed teams with much less talent to hang around in most of our games - it's caused us to lose a few that we should have won, and caused some that should have been blowouts come down to the last few minutes.  

As much as it pains me to say it, I can see this team losing in the early rounds of the tourney simply because of our inability to shut the door on teams when we take a lead.  Hopefully I'm wrong...

#29 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,525 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

They can still improve. Nickle is right... start with even 25 minutes of solid play. If they can put together a consistent couple weeks heading into the tournament I'll feel better than I do now. That said, they're still a team that can get hot in the tournament. Just so much talent.

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

The rebounding issues seem very recent to me, not something that's lingered all season.

We've been doing a better job rotating on defense recently as well. I wonder if, like playing zone, if a defense that rotates so often like that makes it tougher to defend your own glass. Like a catch 22 where as we do a better job rotating to help off the ball, we inherently weaken our ability to find a man and box out.

Probably just a lack of consistent effort until the ball is secured the last few games, but maybe there is something a bit deeper.

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,525 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

The rebounding issues seem very recent to me, not something that's lingered all season.

We've been doing a better job rotating on defense recently as well. I wonder if, like playing zone, if a defense that rotates so often like that makes it tougher to defend your own glass. Like a catch 22 where as we do a better job rotating to help off the ball, we inherently weaken our ability to find a man and box out.

Probably just a lack of consistent effort until the ball is secured the last few games, but maybe there is something a bit deeper.

They don't consistently run an offense and feed the ball inside. Settle for jump shots in slumps instead of correct yourself and go to what works. Just very inconsistent on offense. I agree that the defense has improved, and that the rebounding errs are a current and fleeting problem.

#32 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

Our guards are horrible rebounders. For as good as Stone is on the offensive glass, he's pretty poor defensively. Layman is our best defensive rebounder and while he hustles, gives effort, and is good for someone playing the 3, it's also telling

#33 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:41 PM

There is zero chance Layman is a better defensive rebounder than Carter.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:49 PM

Carter is when he wants to be. Layman is the more consistent rebounder. Carter is actually the most well rounded player on the team when he wants to be. Foot speed isn't good defensively, but he shouldn't be forced to guard the perimeter as much as he does.

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

@ChadLeistikow

Jarrod Uthoff was asked about the challenges of playing in a new arena (Maryland's). He responded, "There are none."

Exactly what his answer should be.

#36 Michael Keltics

Michael Keltics
  • Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:12 PM

@ChadLeistikow

That'a a clown question, bro.

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,292 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:33 AM

Washington Post: Preview

https://www.washingt...ewing-the-game/

#38 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

Excited for the game tonight. Hope MD worked on rebounding all week.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,292 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

Black Heart Gold Pants: Preview
http://www.blackhear...how-to-watch-tv

#40 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

We started lining up at 6:00 AM today, decent-sized line as of right now. Will be an awesome atmosphere.

We talked to Coach Turgeon the other day, he's really excited to have the students back. Makes such a huge difference for the team.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=