#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,667 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Nice piece. I'm not sure I agree with point #1. I mean, it's nice for the fans, but i'm not sure how much "weight" it lifts off the shoulders of the organization. It will still be 15 years since the O's haven't made the playoffs. So instead of saying it's been "X # of years of 'losing' baseball" instead people will say "it's been X # of years since the O's have made the playoffs". Not sure there's much of a difference there. Now, it would be nice to have a >.500 season, but I'm not doing anything to secure this that would in any way, shape or form sacrifice our propensity to win long term.

I think getting to 82 wins is a accomplishment that could change perception of this organization, both in the fans eyes, industry wise and even in advertisers which save their money for a more positive investment.
@mikeghg

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

I think getting to 82 wins is a accomplishment that could change perception of this organization, both in the fans eyes, industry wise and even in advertisers which save their money for a more positive investment.

I think that, at the same time, getting to 82 wins is overrated as a goal for the club at the end of the year but underrated as an achievement. While that should never be a stated expectation for where the team wants to be at the end of the season, getting over that hump while developing a foundation to build on would put the Orioles in a much better position long-term.

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Nice piece. I'm not sure I agree with point #1. I mean, it's nice for the fans, but i'm not sure how much "weight" it lifts off the shoulders of the organization. It will still be 15 years since the O's haven't made the playoffs. So instead of saying it's been "X # of years of 'losing' baseball" instead people will say "it's been X # of years since the O's have made the playoffs". Not sure there's much of a difference there. Now, it would be nice to have a >.500 season, but I'm not doing anything to secure this that would in any way, shape or form sacrifice our propensity to win long term.

Let me start off by saying winning > losing, unless you are hoping for a higher draft slot which I don't think anyone is this year. So yeah you are correct, if they have a winning season but don't make the playoffs it will be "haven't made the playoffs for 14 years and counting." If they don't make the World Series, you'll hear that and likewise if they don't win it. It's the whole "nothing is ever good enough" except championships and only one team is *happy* every year so to speak.
@levineps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=