RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:19 PM

You need a Quaalude sometimes.  

I could use a couple...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#42 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

No need to dwell on the negatives. A GM wouldn't be employed long if they did shit all over the owner, team, players. 

But there is a giant difference between saying "we are a contending team right now" and "we still have work to do". Saying "we still have work to do" is 1. The truth. 2. Not shitting on the team or being negative. 3. Appeasing to the naive fans who don't see through the BS and still expect a major move to actually be made. So you still please everyone. 

Saying the team is a contender because they have Trumbo instead of Davis, and touting Kim's power potential is insulting to everyone's intelligence who has taken five minutes to examine Trumbo vs. Davis, and other players transition from Korea to MLB. 

You're worrying about the wrong thing.  Nobody (and I do mean nobody) ever said DD was a smoothie with the press... that's one of Buck's jobs...  DD is a geek... he probably can't even talk while he's tying his shoes... if he could get away with it, he'd be better off if he responded to every question with nothing but one of the awkward heh-heh-heh laughs that he always uses to buy time before he says anything... he should do just the heh-heh-heh and then stop...

Getting all worked up about whatever he says is just silly... what matters is what the team is like on OD... not what the team is like today, and especially not what DD says about it today...  this is just more BS with people getting upset because the O's aren't providing quality entertainment in the dang middle of winter... 

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#43 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

You're worrying about the wrong thing. Nobody (and I do mean nobody) ever said DD was a smoothie with the press... that's one of Buck's jobs... DD is a geek... he probably can't even talk while he's tying his shoes... if he could get away with it, he'd be better off if he responded to every question with nothing but one of the awkward heh-heh-heh laughs that he always uses to buy time before he says anything... he should do just the heh-heh-heh and then stop...

Getting all worked up about whatever he says is just silly... what matters is what the team is like on OD... not what the team is like today, and especially not what DD says about it today... this is just more BS with people getting upset because the O's aren't providing quality entertainment in the dang middle of winter...

I get that DD is awful with press. DD says that they are competitive today. Steve and I believe they are not. That's all. When he says they have put together a comepetive team, that sounds to Steve and I like a precursor to them being content with what they have, meaning they won't make any exciting signings.

I hope the O's prove me wrong and sign a couple more acutual diffemce making MLB players. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I'm banking on they won't...based on past practices.
@BSLMikeRandall

#44 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

The "don't worry about what the team looks like today, they don't have to make moves today just to satiate you" nonsense can only run for so long.

Eventually the season will have to start and we will be left with a pile of shit
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#45 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:18 PM

The "don't worry about what the team looks like today, they don't have to make moves today just to satiate you" nonsense can only run for so long.

Eventually the season will have to start and we will be left with a pile of shit

Oh, there's definitely reason to worry, but that doesn't mean anyone should give a crap that Duq said they've put together a competitive team. 

#46 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

I get that DD is awful with press. DD says that they are competitive today. Steve and I believe they are not.

Everybody believes they are not.

That's all. When he says they have put together a comepetive team, that sounds to Steve and I like a precursor to them being content with what they have, meaning they won't make any exciting signings.

DD gets demerits for the verb tenses he used.   He started out using present-perfect ("We have been putting our team together") which focuses on the present but is OK because it can imply that it's not completed... but then he blew it at the end by using a past-perfect ("We have put together a competitive ballclub").   

If he was gonna use a perfect tense in the dang off-season when he's trying hard to say nothing that means much, then if only he was a competent GM-and-grammarian, he would have relied more on the future-perfect, e.g., "By OD, we will have put together a good ballclub."   But he didn't.  

So, for that, he gets demerits for the grammarian part... but not for the GM part...

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

Well as has been said, it's really semantics regarding the word competitive. The team as constructed, even though clearly not finished, could be a respectable team. 

#48 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:32 PM

Well as has been said, it's really semantics regarding the word competitive. The team as constructed, even though clearly not finished, could be a respectable team. 

Even I wouldn't go that far...   :wink:

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:34 PM

Even I wouldn't go that far...   :wink:

Well respectable and good aren't the same thing, but again, semantics and I actually don't care that much. 

#50 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:39 PM

Well respectable and good aren't the same thing...

Oh, boy...  ;-)

If you're talking about a 6-yr-old who's learning how to play catch, I would agree... but for a team at the top level, how can they be respectable if they;re not good?

ps: I know this is meaningless BS... but better to kill time this way than by having fits about DD's verb tense...

#51 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

Oh, boy...   :wink:

If you're talking about a 6-yr-old who's learning how to play catch, I would agree... but for a team at the top level, how can they be respectable if they;re not good?

ps: I know this is meaningless BS... but better to kill time this way than by having fits about DD's verb tense...

Sorry, I don't care to get into this. 

#52 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

Great > good > respectable > dumpster fire > Phillies
  • mweb08, DJ MC and BSLSteveBirrer like this

@bopper33

#53 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

Argument over. Can we go back to complaining about DDDD? Thanks.
  • RShack likes this

@bopper33

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

A team can win 75 games and still fight and be competitive.

But if that is what DD meant, its pathetic to even say it.

Competitive, in this context, SHOULD mean a playoff caliber team that doesn't need a bunch of things to go right to be a legit contender.

If he believes that is what this team is, he's dead wrong.

If he believes they could be the little engine that could team, he may have a point.  Either way, they will compete but competing for moral victories and competing for the playoffs are 2 different things.

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

I don't think what he said has much relevance on what he actually believes. GM speak as Mack said. 

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:13 PM

I don't think what he said has much relevance on what he actually believes. GM speak as Mack said. 

The thing is, it's not what he said this time.

It's the bullshit he always says. It's the bs we have heard over and over again the last 15+ years.

Every year, we have this same discussion and every year, the talk ends up being what happens. That's the frustrating part.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

I don't really care what he says. I care what he/they do.

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:18 PM

Ok, good for you.

Some do care and want to discuss it.

But yes, the results are ultimately what matters.

#59 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:23 PM

Yeah, it's coach speak. Gm speak. Whatever. You take it as seriously as you do John Harbaugh praising guys he knows he's gonna cut in training camp

#60 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:23 PM

Ok, good for you.

Some do care and want to discuss it.

But yes, the results are ultimately what matters.

Discuss it all you want, but I wouldn't advise getting worked up over what he says or take that much from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=