283 replies to this topic

#261 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, I was wishing I had gone, but also glad I made money from their despair.

Oh well. I hope they were well behaved.

Yeah just look at it that way, some complete loser schlepped all the way from Western PA and back to sit in a stadium and watch their team shit in their pants....and paid you for the privilege. Only thing better would be if it had been cold and rainy.

• Mike B likes this

#262 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

List of Ravens top-twenty draft picks

I guess you're right, if you want to drop Duane Starks too.

70% chance. My apologies.

First of all, you'd have to have a very lax definition of  "star". Not only was Starks not a star player, but it's way too soon to put that label on Mosley too. Beyond that, its not top top 20 draft picks. It would be top 17 with Mosley and if you remove him it's  picking in the top 12, where Ngata was drafted. 

Next, ok we got good-very good players drafting in the top 13. You could have had better. We got a good player in Starks in '99 at #10. If you somehow move up to #4 you get a HOF in Charles Woodson. #8 was Greg Ellis who finished with 84 career sacks. #9 was Fred Taylor. Next year, we get a Pro Bowl caliber player in McAllister at #10. Terrific. At #6 StL got a HOF WR in Holt. At #7 Washington got a HOF CB in Champ Bailey.  

#263 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

Yeah just look at it that way, some complete loser schlepped all the way from Western PA and back to sit in a stadium and watch their team shit in their pants....and paid you for the privilege. Only thing better would be if it had been cold and rainy.

A few years ago I sold O's/Yankee tickets to a Yankee fan on StubHub for $100 each on $25 seats...first row in section 82. The game got rained out and wasn't made up until later in the season. Pretty sure it was a mid-week day game too.

Loved it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#264 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

As soon as the game started, my friend and me nearly simultaneously said, screw the draft, let's beat these assholes. It was kinda cute.

You're never guaranteed nice sports moments with your teams. As Ravens fans, we're used to them prior to this year. Picking 4th instead of 8th doesn't guarantee us more nice moments moving forward. I'll take this moment. It was a lot of fun, and it will be a cherry on top provided the Jets win in Buffalo next week. All that talent in Pittsburgh, with that offense, and they may be sitting on their couches watching the playoffs just like us.

Along those lines... who will have had the more frustrating season?

#265 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

Duane was the second best defensive player on that Super Bowl run too. I simply don't get anyone who comes away from yesterday's game with anything but glee. I don't care what our fortunes are, or what the theoretical loss in value 6 months from now is. I want to make the Steelers cry and we did.

What do you mean you don't get it? I can understand if you'd prefer a win over Pittsburgh over 5 spots, but you should at least see the other side of it. Impact players win you Super Bowls in the NFL. 

If I told you that the Ravens could get Alshon Jeffrey from 2017 through 2021 if they lost yesterday, but don't get him if they won, would you still take the win? 

@PeterDiLutis

#266 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:12 PM

First of all, you'd have to have a very lax definition of  "star". Not only was Starks not a star player, but it's way too soon to put that label on Mosley too. Beyond that, its not top top 20 draft picks. It would be top 17 with Mosley and if you remove him it's  picking in the top 12, where Ngata was drafted. 

Next, ok we got good-very good players drafting in the top 13. You could have had better. We got a good player in Starks in '99 at #10. If you somehow move up to #4 you get a HOF in Charles Woodson. #8 was Greg Ellis who finished with 84 career sacks. #9 was Fred Taylor. Next year, we get a Pro Bowl caliber player in McAllister at #10. Terrific. At #6 StL got a HOF WR in Holt. At #7 Washington got a HOF CB in Champ Bailey.  

And maybe if they are at #4 they draft Curtis Enis. Or go to number three and pick Andre Wadsworth. And the next year if higher they might have chosen David Boston.

That's why you can't play this game with anyone, and especially with the Ravens. You can always do the "there was a star there"/"there was a bust there", and the Ravens have a pretty damn good track record of picking a star wherever they pick in the first round, let alone early.

@DJ_McCann

#267 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

What do you mean you don't get it? I can understand if you'd prefer a win over Pittsburgh over 5 spots, but you should at least see the other side of it. Impact players win you Super Bowls in the NFL. 

If I told you that the Ravens could get Alshon Jeffrey from 2017 through 2021 if they lost yesterday, but don't get him if they won, would you still take the win? 

What if the choice if you win is T.Y. Hilton?

@DJ_McCann

#268 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:29 PM

And maybe if they are at #4 they draft Curtis Enis. Or go to number three and pick Andre Wadsworth. And the next year if higher they might have chosen David Boston.

That's why you can't play this game with anyone, and especially with the Ravens. You can always do the "there was a star there"/"there was a bust there", and the Ravens have a pretty damn good track record of picking a star wherever they pick in the first round, let alone early.

LOL. That was your argument. The Ravens brassis great in the Top 20, Oh, good thing you cherry picked Top 20 and not TOp 21(Kyle Boller).  So we have hit on a "star" players 80%(inaccurate) of the time and shouldn't worry about 5 spots because Oz is great at drafting in the Top 20. Now, its oh we could have easily drafted Enis  instead. Come on. 

Yes, there are busts and hits everywhere in every draft and Oz is certainly capable of drafting a bust. Looking at busts or hits is hindsight, but the higher we draft the more I trust Oz to hit, and on a stud. Beyond who you actually end up drafting, is the value of that pick predraft. That can't be denied, and depending on different variables yet to be determined. it could be a great deal of value. 

#269 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:30 PM

1996 - #4 Jonathan Ogden

1997 - #4 Peter Boulware

2000 - #5 Jamal Lewis

I think I trust Ozzie with Top 5 picks, at least to the point where he won't pick a Curtis Enis.

#270 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:30 PM

Pick fetish

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#271 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:31 PM

LOL. That was your argument. The Ravens brass to great in the Top 20, Oh, good thing you cherry picked Top 20 and not TOp 21(Kyle Boller).  So we have hit on a "star" players 80% of the time and shouldn't worry about 5 spots because Oz is great at drafting in the Top 20. . Now, its oh we could have easily drafted Enis  instead. Come on. 

Kyle Boller was included, at number 19.

@DJ_McCann

#272 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

1996 - #4 Jonathan Ogden

1997 - #4 Peter Boulware

2000 - #5 Jamal Lewis

I think I trust Ozzie with Top 5 picks, at least to the point where he won't pick a Curtis Enis.

I don't think he would either. But that wasn't the ridiculous point to which I was responding.

@DJ_McCann

#273 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

Of course I know why people have that rationale, I just don't see how people value percentage points on a dice roll over everything that was yesterday's win. You can't go five years out from now and cherry pick who you could have gotten in the draft and say a-ha!

Also, Alshon was a second round pick. That's a terrible example.
  • Pedro Cerrano and DJ MC like this

#274 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:38 PM

Kyle Boller was included, at number 19.

My bad. For some reason I thought Boller was 21 off the top of my head. 

#275 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:39 PM

My bad. For some reason I thought Boller was 21 off the top of my head. 

None of us want to remember that he was a top-20 pick :D

@DJ_McCann

#276 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

I don't think he would either. But that wasn't the ridiculous point to which I was responding.

I dont know what to tell you. The Ravens clearly needed a WR in '99. They could have had a HOF in Holt. If they are 4 spots higher they likely take him at #6 over McAllister. Champ Bailey was clearly the Top corner in the draft that year. Also pretty sure the Ravens would've drafted him over McAllister at #7. Again, Oz is capable of mistakes but my point is valid. This organization knows how to rank and value elite talent. Those 5 picks cost this organization value. We just dont know how much and it's significance.

#277 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

I also get that some fans don't care about that value we lost by winning yesterday. Thats fine, but they should understand why some people do care about that value in a completely lost '15 season. 

#278 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:52 PM

I dont know what to tell you. The Ravens clearly needed a WR in '99. They could have had a HOF in Holt. If they are 4 spots higher they likely take him at #6 over McAllister. Champ Bailey was clearly the Top corner in the draft that year. Also pretty sure the Ravens would've drafted him over McAllister at #7. Again, Oz is capable of mistakes but my point is valid. This organization knows how to rank and value elite talent. Those 5 picks cost this organization value. We just dont know how much and it's significance.

But again, do they pick Holt, or Boston? And that doesn't even take into account BPA and who they had ranked highest out of any of these guys.

I also get that some fans don't care about that value we lost by winning yesterday. Thats fine, but they should understand why some people do care about that value in a completely lost '15 season. 

I definitely understand it, and I'm not trying to play Bad Fan. But in my mind with the way the Ravens draft that handful of spots doesn't matter all that much, and the Ravens are going to be a much better team next year either way, so screwing with the Steelers is much more enjoyable as a fan.

• Icterus galbula and Mike B like this
@DJ_McCann

#279 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

'Doesn't matter all that much' matters more than 'meaningless win in lost season'

@fuzydunlop

#280 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:29 PM

'Doesn't matter all that much' matters more than 'meaningless win in lost season'

Only if you consider the win "meaningless" -- which I, and others, do not.

• Mike B likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=