283 replies to this topic

#241 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:05 AM

We swept our main division rival in the middle of this franchise's worst season since Stoney Case was involved. That's worth enjoying, even if it REALLY just means eleven losses instead of twelve.

I really couldn't care any less about the Bengals game, though. Forfeit and hold the SotR presser tomorrow morning.

We went 8-8 the season Case was here. He started 4 games and went 2-2 in those starts.

We guaranteed at least a 5-11 season which ties the record we had in 2007, which was a lot like this season.

1996 we went 4-12, that will stand as the worst season on record.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#242 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:08 AM

You also have to wonder if Buffalo will be packed up for the season.

Hard to figure what goes through the players heads but it looked like they showed up against the Cowboys.

@mikeghg

#243 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:10 AM

Mallett seemed very happy/relieved/thankful after the win. He was practically crying into Trestman's shoulder after the game. It was exactly the kind of performance he needed after all that happened this year.

It'll be interesting to see how he does on the road against a better defense in a potentially crucial game (for the Bengals).

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#244 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:14 AM

I know some people think it's fine to be any kind of fan you feel like being.... but I don't.  

IMO, anybody who wanted to see the Ravens lose to the Steelers should turn in their Ravens paraphernalia....

Bingo.....I would like to see the Ravens get a good pick as much as anybody, but frankly, I hate the "If your not first, your last Motto", because, IMO is is wrong, especially if you want to see your team do well.

As for playing the Steelers, as a fan who went there yesterday, fearing the worst, it was one of the great games to be at.  It mattered for the Steelers big time, their fans showed up ready to be ignorant and party.  Lesson taught, party cancelled.

Sorry to those, who think yesterdays game would have been better if it was a loss.  No way in hell I agree.  Thanks to the Ravens for a late Christmas present.  Screwing the Steelers, and their fans was worth the cost.  We will still get a good player.

• Icterus galbula, 1970 and esporter like this
@mikeghg

#245 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

Totally agree with all of this. 

I get the mentality of wanting the best draft pick possible, and for that reason I'm cool with us losing next week, but this game was so huge for the Steelers. And they are just so much healthier and better than us it's not even funny. To rob them of an easy win and watch them potentially miss out on the playoffs AGAIN is just too sweet.

My only complaint about yesterday is that we're still not playing the young guys like we promised we would. Why Brooks, Urban, Walker,  Art Brown, and the gang aren't getting snaps is kind of beyond me. Kendrick Lewis might be one of the worst safeties in the league. Put him on the bench and let Brooks figure it out, for crying out loud.

But anyway, I thought yesterday was pretty magical as a fan.

• Mike B likes this

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#246 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

I get the mentality of wanting the best draft pick possible, and for that reason I'm cool with us losing next week, but this game was so huge for the Steelers. And they are just so much healthier and better than us it's not even funny. To rob them of an easy win and watch them potentially miss out on the playoffs AGAIN is just too sweet.

My only complaint about yesterday is that we're still not playing the young guys like we promised we would. Why Brooks, Urban, Walker,  Art Brown, and the gang aren't getting snaps is kind of beyond me. Kendrick Lewis might be one of the worst safeties in the league. Put him on the bench and let Brooks figure it out, for crying out loud.

Agree with the young guys thought, but think they are picking their spots.  Urschel, Jensen, Zach Orr, Z.  Smith, Chris Matthews all played significant time yesterday.  

I have been looking for Brooks for weeks, but I think they wanted to see webb at free safety more.  They have a $$$ investment in him and if he can play FS, as a centerfielder type, that makes a decision easier for them.

I have to admit. I missed Urban yesterday.  I seem to remember him getting trapped early in the game...Did he not get back in the game.

@mikeghg

#247 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

Some of the young guys seem to be coming on.  I really have been impressed by Zadarius Smith the last 2 or 3 weeks.   Jernigan, when not making silly mistakes is turning into a real player on the Dline.

• esporter likes this
@mikeghg

#248 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:25 AM

Agree with the young guys thought, but think they are picking their spots.  Urschel, Jensen, Zach Orr, Z.  Smith, Chris Matthews all played significant time yesterday.  

I have been looking for Brooks for weeks, but I think they wanted to see webb at free safety more.  They have a $$$ investment in him and if he can play FS, as a centerfielder type, that makes a decision easier for them.

I have to admit. I missed Urban yesterday.  I seem to remember him getting trapped early in the game...Did he not get back in the game.

Some good notes from RSR on the young guys at the bottom of the post here: http://russellstreet...ugh-their-eyes/

0 snaps for Brooks, Walker, and Art Brown

Just 3 snaps for Carl Davis

12 for Urban, which I guess isn't too bad.

You're right that Z Smith has been really coming on along with some of the other guys you mentioned.

It's mainly Brooks' absence that concerns me. He has flashed at times and our secondary is horrible. Why not get him some playing time?

Wonder if some of these guys get more time next week. This week may have been an "all hands on deck" kind of a deal to beat the Steelers.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#249 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:31 AM

Some good notes from RSR on the young guys at the bottom of the post here: http://russellstreet...ugh-their-eyes/

0 snaps for Brooks, Walker, and Art Brown

Just 3 snaps for Carl Davis

12 for Urban, which I guess isn't too bad.

You're right that Z Smith has been really coming on along with some of the other guys you mentioned.

It's mainly Brooks' absence that concerns me. He has flashed at times and our secondary is horrible. Why not get him some playing time?

Wonder if some of these guys get more time next week. This week may have been an "all hands on deck" kind of a deal to beat the Steelers.

I agree on Brooks.  We have wasted a lot of money and picks in an effort to fix our safety spots (Elam, Brooks, Lewis, Ihedigbo,etc.) and when I watch Brooks run and hit, I wonder why they have not given him more reps.  HE is really fast and our D is not.  He seems to be a good tackler, and Lewis is not.  I understand them wanting to take a look at Webb, and I thought he did well back there, but let's use the Cincy game to take a good look at Brooks.

@mikeghg

#250 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

I sold to Steelers fans. Bah humbug.

I remembered this post, when at the game yesterday.  You did miss a heck of a game and surprisingly the Ravens fans outnumbered the WPA mob, and clearly outshouted them, by a good bit, but you win.  You got their money, and they left the stadium near tears.  

The looks on the piss and black fans as they departed the stadium was fun to watch.

@mikeghg

#251 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:48 AM

I remembered this post, when at the game yesterday.  You did miss a heck of a game and surprisingly the Ravens fans outnumbered the WPA mob, and clearly outshouted them, by a good bit, but you win.  You got their money, and they left the stadium near tears.  

The looks on the piss and black fans as they departed the stadium was fun to watch.

Yeah, I was wishing I had gone, but also glad I made money from their despair.

Oh well. I hope they were well behaved.

#252 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

We went 8-8 the season Case was here. He started 4 games and went 2-2 in those starts.

You're right. Those early years tend to run together for me.

Amend it to "Eric Zeier" :)

@DJ_McCann

#253 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

The Ravens have had eleven top-20 picks in franchise history, and two of them were busts (Kyle Boller and Travis Taylor). If that holds, there's an 80% chance that the Ravens will get a star player from their pick. I'm not overly worried about going from #3 to #8.

A star player?? Complete hyperbole.

#254 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

And it's hyperbole to act like the sky is falling because we are going to end up picking 8 instead of 4.

I swear some of you like to complain just for the sake of complaining.
  • 1970 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#255 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

And it's hyperbole to act like the sky is falling because we are going to end up picking 8 instead of 4.

I swear some of you like to complain just for the sake of complaining.

You lose value. Perhaps, a good bit of value. All for a win that is meaningless for the Ravens. Yeah, its great to potentially knock the Steelers out of the playoffs but the win does nothing for the Ravens '15 season. 

#256 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:48 AM

One thing that I think is awesome is that the Ravens found their backup QB for next year. I told you guys that Mallet had talent and I couldn't understand why people were so down on him. He is basically a clone of Joe physically. They can keep the same game plan and he is more than capable of going 3-2 next year if Joe misses 5 weeks with some sort of injury.

It's funny, I always assumed that the Ravens undervalued the backup QB position because I never believed Tyrod could legitimately win games for them if he had to be plugged in, but I was clearly wrong about that as I think most Ravens fans were. I didn't see him having the arm, accuracy, and poise that he actually has. And if you remember, in 2010, the Ravens signed Marc Bulger to a decent deal to be a backup. And then they signed Schuab this year. So in actuality, the Ravens do value the backup position, they just misread Schuab's talent/arm strength. 

@PeterDiLutis

#257 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

Mallett doesn't have Joe's athleticism or mobility but other than that a lot of similarities. 

#258 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

Yeah, I was wishing I had gone, but also glad I made money from their despair.

Oh well. I hope they were well behaved.

We park over on Penn Street and make the walk to the stadium, and I saw a lot of piss and black, and there were a lot of we are going to kick your butt stuff coming from their mouths.  I get up to my seats in time to watch the pre-game warm ups etc. and it was mostly Steeler fans there(around noon).  They seemed to arrive early, but from 12:30 on, it seemed like all Ravens fans coming up.  I think it wound up about 70-30, and the Ravens fans out screamed them the whole game.  Going down the ramp was a blast.  Steeler fans were in shock, Ravens fans were going nuts.  Some lady and her kid cried all the way down the ramp.  Someone yelled, that the Jets just beat the Pats which made it worse for them.  Got to admit it was pretty fun to watch. 

@mikeghg

#259 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

A star player?? Complete hyperbole.

List of Ravens top-twenty draft picks

I guess you're right, if you want to drop Duane Starks too.

70% chance. My apologies.

@DJ_McCann

#260 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:13 PM

List of Ravens top-twenty draft picks

I guess you're right, if you want to drop Duane Starks too.

70% chance. My apologies.

Duane was the second best defensive player on that Super Bowl run too. I simply don't get anyone who comes away from yesterday's game with anything but glee. I don't care what our fortunes are, or what the theoretical loss in value 6 months from now is. I want to make the Steelers cry and we did.
  • Mike B, DJ MC and 1970 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=