Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:58 AM

BSL: Durkin Stacking His Staff

http://baltimorespor...stacking-staff/

Over the past few days, the Terrapins have hired Scott Shafer, Mike London, and Aazaar Abdul-Rahim. In this article, I look at what each of these coaches bring to the table, and which recruits they could potentially bring along with them.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

Obviously, this is turning into a really good hire and it's energizing the hard core fans because we know how insane his staff additions have been. Question for you Zack - do you sense that KA and gang got lucky here, or were they smart enough to see this coming with DJD? 

@PeterDiLutis

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

What MD would have known is what they were willing to pay for the HC and the Assistants. By going with Durkin at his salary level, there was more available for the rest of the staff.

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:52 PM

Obviously, this is turning into a really good hire and it's energizing the hard core fans because we know how insane his staff additions have been. Question for you Zack - do you sense that KA and gang got lucky here, or were they smart enough to see this coming with DJD? 

Durkin was their guy from Day One. They loved what he brought to the table. Young, energetic, up-and-coming HC who is also one of the better recruiters in the country. I think they learned from the Edsall process and built on that knowledge.
@BSLZackKiesel

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

Also, sounds a lot like Trevon could switch here.
@BSLZackKiesel

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:58 PM

Diggs basically openly saying he's talking to Abdul-Rahim about MD. That'd be great.

MD could be a top 25 team as early as next year depending on how things take shape.
  • BSLZackKiesel likes this

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

InsideMDSports: Durkin Talks Haskins, Locksley and More on The Junkies

http://maryland.247s...unkies-41884949

Durkin said he expects to choose his offensive coordinator in the next coming days. Like on the defensive end, he doesn’t want to rely on a scheme to be successful. He said they’ll run “multiple” offenses.

Durkin confirmed he’s been on the road recruiting with ace recruiter Mike Locksley, but talks about keeping him on staff are still ongoing.

@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:08 PM

I'd imagine those talks are going pretty good considering they are on the road together. Would love to have Locksley back, but not as OC. Tim Beck, please. 

Keep Haskins on board, convince Diggs to come to College Park, and somehow sway Terrell Hall and I'll be feeling very good about Terps football. 

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

OC down to Jedd Fisch and Tennessee’s Zach Azzanni?

http://www.diehardsp...on-at-maryland/

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:19 PM

So the staff has guys with ties to Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, and Nick Saban? You can't ask for much more than that.
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

I'd prefer Azzanni. Would bring a spread offense and incredible recruiting ability with him to CP.

@BSLZackKiesel

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:29 AM

Testudo Times: Potential candidates for Maryland football's offensive coordinator job

http://www.testudoti...ive-coordinator

I'd expect that Durkin has an offensive coordinator in tow by the end of this week, but he's said he wants to be "deliberate" in filling his staff. He's done a stellar job so far, no real reason to question his methods.

Right now, I'd put my money on Azzanni. He has a bit of Big Ten experience, and worked with Durkin as a graduate assistant under Urban Meyer at Bowling Green. I'm a big fan of Butch Jones' power-spread system at Tennessee. It's a great blend of powerful, between-the-tackles running from one-back shotgun formations, and a West Coast/spread passing game built on short and intermediate passes (and lots of play-action).

Azzanni would also bring excellent recruiting ability and 3 years of experience recruiting in SEC country. Most of Tennessee's recruits come from Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi, some areas that Maryland has not recruited much in the past (they have placed a big emphasis on Florida, however).

• Mike B likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

Testudo Times: Potential candidates for Maryland football's offensive coordinator job

http://www.testudoti...ive-coordinator

I'd expect that Durkin has an offensive coordinator in tow by the end of this week, but he's said he wants to be "deliberate" in filling his staff. He's done a stellar job so far, no real reason to question his methods.

Right now, I'd put my money on Azzanni. He has a bit of Big Ten experience, and worked with Durkin as a graduate assistant under Urban Meyer at Bowling Green. I'm a big fan of Butch Jones' power-spread system at Tennessee. It's a great blend of powerful, between-the-tackles running from one-back shotgun formations, and a West Coast/spread passing game built on short and intermediate passes (and lots of play-action).

Azzanni would also bring excellent recruiting ability and 3 years of experience recruiting in SEC country. Most of Tennessee's recruits come from Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi, some areas that Maryland has not recruited much in the past (they have placed a big emphasis on Florida, however).

Good post.  I found the poll attached to the article interesting.  Locksley is getting 23% of the poll vote, which is the highest.

I think people are voting for Haskins when they vote for Locks.  I would like to see Haskins land at CP too, but not if it means Locksley as the OC.  If doing the right thing going forward means losing out on Haskins then so be it.

• Mackus likes this
@mikeghg

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

Good post.  I found the poll attached to the article interesting.  Locksley is getting 23% of the poll vote, which is the highest.

I think people are voting for Haskins when they vote for Locks.  I would like to see Haskins land at CP too, but not if it means Locksley as the OC.  If doing the right thing going forward means losing out on Haskins then so be it.

Agree completely.  I want Locksley to not be the OC more than I want Haskins to come to College Park.  Locksley back as something other than OC and content to remain there with Haskins in the fold obviously is the ideal scenario.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

Numerous schools have two OCs.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

Numerous schools have two OCs.

They can call Locksley whatever they and he want as long as he has none of the actual influence on the offense both in prep and on gameday that a typical OC has.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

Don't have the energy for another thread discussing Locks.

Him staying is ideal.  If he doesn't, I'm glad MD made the effort they did.  Have to think Locks going and recruiting with Durkin is a good indication he will be back... but others don't agree.

Will see what happens.

• Mike B likes this

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

Don't have the energy for another thread discussing Locks.

Him staying is ideal.  If he doesn't, I'm glad MD made the effort they did.  Have to think Locks going and recruiting with Durkin is a good indication he will be back... but others don't agree.

Will see what happens.

I think there is a deal in place for him to stay.  If not, it makes no sense for him to still be recruiting.  The first thing a kid is going to ask Locks is, will he be there.  If USA Today can be trusted Locks, got about 900 K last year.  Hard to top that.  

Durkin seems to be taking his time and to date has done a good job building the staff.

Md. football is the mess it is, because of past bad decisions by coaches and AE, so having him being methodical in an effort to get it right, seems prudent to me.

@mikeghg

#19 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,343 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:36 AM

Hearing rumblings that Cory Robinson is leaving the staff to take an assistant coaching position at Toledo. InsideMDSports has it.

@BSLZackKiesel

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,443 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:42 AM

That sucks, he was one I really hoped Durkin could keep. He had the best Baltimore connections on the staff. Might mean Rahshaun Smith is out of the question now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=