105 replies to this topic

#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:15 AM

Eh... it reminds me of AJ talking about being the team leader right at first, back when his OPS+ was 80-something...  and even before he did even that much...

The kid wants to be a leader, but he's still just a flaky kid... 

You can still be a leader even if your on-field performance doesn't quite warrant it. Obviously you gain a lot more credibility if it does, but there are a lot of other important traits too, things that Haskins appears to be lacking right now. Doesn't mean he won't be a good team leader someday, I'm sure every great leader made mistakes that they learned from, but if I'm one of the recruits that was buying into what he was selling before, then I'm not very impressed with him right now.

#42 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:47 AM

If nothing had changed and Oh St came calling there is a good chance Haskins would have bolted anyway. He was flirting with Florida back in Aug or Sept. You do not build a program around one class of recruits. Nor do you let them dictate what you do within your program in the slightest.

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:00 AM

I'm not comprehending the Haskins hate.

He lacks leadership qualities because he's (possibly) reconsidering his commitment after we fired all the people he had made relationships with when he chose to come here?

That's ridiculous.  It wouldn't show a lack of character or leadership if he had re-opened his recruiting even if everyone was still here.  That's what you do if you are a high school football recruit.  A commitment is really just saying "they are my #1 choice right now", it doesn't actually mean you're committed to anything until you sign.

I hope he still comes here, but anybody who is begrudging him because he may be reconsidering where he wants to play (and more importantly, who he wants to play for) over the next 4 years is completely in the wrong, IMO.  The "will he or won't he" is certainly annoying, but I don't think he's really doing much to ham that up (though I don't read much of anything on twitter, so maybe he is being a bit too coy and I'm just unaware).

• You Play to Win the Game, mweb08, Greg Pappas and 3 others like this

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

I'm not comprehending the Haskins hate.

He lacks leadership qualities because he's (possibly) reconsidering his commitment after we fired all the people he had made relationships with when he chose to come here?

That's ridiculous.  It wouldn't show a lack of character or leadership if he had re-opened his recruiting even if everyone was still here.  That's what you do if you are a high school football recruit.  A commitment is really just saying "they are my #1 choice right now", it doesn't actually mean you're committed to anything until you sign.

I hope he still comes here, but anybody who is begrudging him because he may be reconsidering where he wants to play (and more importantly, who he wants to play for) over the next 4 years is completely in the wrong, IMO.  The "will he or won't he" is certainly annoying, but I don't think he's really doing much to ham that up (though I don't read much of anything on twitter, so maybe he is being a bit too coy and I'm just unaware).

Well said, he committed to a completely different staff.  Like you, I hope he comes to Maryland but the world will not end, if he goes elsewhere and he should not be made a villain.  He is 17 or 18 years old....he is a kid, not a bad guy or flaky or deserving of the hate.

Maryland has lost for years without him, a few more years are likely.  If Durkin is the guy for the job, he will recruit future Haskin type players, and then Maryland will elevate the program.

@mikeghg

#45 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:50 AM

Didn't Haskins say something along the lines of, "it's not about a coach, it's about a school or program" back when Edsall was fired? 

Not that the kid doesn't have a right to change his mind, and I wouldn't hate on him if he did because I think Maryland will still end up in a good place regardless, but it does make question his whole attitude to put Maryland back on the FB map. 

#46 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

Didn't Haskins say something along the lines of, "it's not about a coach, it's about a school or program" back when Edsall was fired?

Not that the kid doesn't have a right to change his mind, and I wouldn't hate on him if he did because I think Maryland will still end up in a good place regardless, but it does make question his whole attitude to put Maryland back on the FB map.

I think he said it before Edsall was fired. It was always a bunch of lip service. He's a teenager though. I've said this a hundred times, don't even have verbal commitments. It means nothing. Other teams don't stop recruiting and the kids dont stop listening.
  • Mike B likes this

#47 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:15 AM

It would be interesting to see a percentage on verbal commitment vs. actual signing.

Seems like recently that number is going down.

@mikeghg

#48 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

I just want this to be over with.

It's pretty clear to me that Durkin is going to use Haskins as his starter from day 1, so if he's not coming here he needs to know so he can start to make other arrangements.  A transfer would be OK, I guess, but we would be without him this season, so I guess another year of Caleb Rowe?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#49 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

Guys, he retweets everyone who commits/decommits. He still has the verbal commit to MD tweet pinned. Take it easy.
  • RShack likes this

@fuzydunlop

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

YOU TAKE IT EASY

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#51 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

That was pretty much what he said. Again, I'm not criticizing him for changing his mind, nearly every highly-regarded recruit does at some point. But when he self-appointed himself as the leader of all these other kids, and made comments to the effect of what you quoted, and then flip-flops, that's a little different IMO. Just do your own thing and let everyone else make their own choices. Your time to lead will come once you all are on the field.

#52 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

Guys, he retweets everyone who commits/decommits. He still has the verbal commit to MD tweet pinned. Take it easy.

I was already taking it easy, but I didn't know that... so, thanks for the factoid...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#53 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:13 PM

That was pretty much what he said. Again, I'm not criticizing him for changing his mind, nearly every highly-regarded recruit does at some point. But when he self-appointed himself as the leader of all these other kids, and made comments to the effect of what you quoted, and then flip-flops, that's a little different IMO. Just do your own thing and let everyone else make their own choices. Your time to lead will come once you all are on the field.

As best I can tell, the only unwise thing he did was run his mouth too soon about being a leader...

Now, who ever heard of a teenager doing something unwise or running his mouth when he shoulda kept it shut?  Did you ever do that as a teenager?  Me neither...    :wink:

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#54 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

Eh... it reminds me of AJ talking about being the team leader right at first, back when his OPS+ was 80-something...  and even before he did even that much...

The kid wants to be a leader, but he's still just a flaky kid... 

Yeah, but Jonesy didn't say that as a free agent, and then go sign with the Yankees ;)

@DJ_McCann

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

As best I can tell, the only unwise thing he did was run his mouth too soon about being a leader...

Now, who ever heard of a teenager doing something unwise or running his mouth when he shoulda kept it shut?  Did you ever do that as a teenager?  Me neither...    :wink:

Of course I did. And got criticized for it. It's how we learn. Haskins has plenty to learn too.

#56 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, but Jonesy didn't say that as a free agent, and then go sign with the Yankees ;)

True... but he was getting-out-of-college age, not getting-out-of-high-school age... which means much of his adolescence (aka "developmental psychosis") was over with...

#57 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

Of course I did. And got criticized for it. 

Did you listen?  Me neither... ;-)

#58 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:23 PM

Did you listen?  Me neither... :wink:

Uh, listen to what?

#59 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

​Testudo Times: Maryland hiring Ball State head coach Pete Lembo as assistant, per report

http://www.testudoti...5064.1385828405

That's the third former head coach that Durkin has hired to his staff.

@BSLZackKiesel

#60 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

DJD is legit. Wow. 

@PeterDiLutis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users