#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:14 AM

That sucks, he was one I really hoped Durkin could keep. He had the best Baltimore connections on the staff. Might mean Rahshaun Smith is out of the question now.

Listened to Keith Cavanaugh last night on a radio show and he seems to be under the assumption that the Edsal assistant coaches are still active but their contracts run out at the end of the month, so I am sure many will move on.

It looks like Durkin is hiring guys for coaching talent but also, for their expertise in certain recruiting areas.  Baltimore already is accounted for, but some of this years targets may well go elsewhere, since their guys are gone on to other jobs.

Short term pain, for long term gain.

@mikeghg

#22 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

Listened to Keith Cavanaugh last night on a radio show and he seems to be under the assumption that the Edsal assistant coaches are still active but their contracts run out at the end of the month, so I am sure many will move on.

It looks like Durkin is hiring guys for coaching talent but also, for their expertise in certain recruiting areas.  Baltimore already is accounted for, but some of this years targets may well go elsewhere, since their guys are gone on to other jobs.

Short term pain, for long term gain.

Here's what I don't understand... recruits not coming because the recruiter leaves *even if* they think MD will be better with the new coaching staff... is that just because they're kids and don't know any better, or what?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

Listened to Keith Cavanaugh last night on a radio show and he seems to be under the assumption that the Edsal assistant coaches are still active but their contracts run out at the end of the month, so I am sure many will move on. It looks like Durkin is hiring guys for coaching talent but also, for their expertise in certain recruiting areas.  Baltimore already is accounted for, but some of this years targets may well go elsewhere, since their guys are gone on to other jobs. Short term pain, for long term gain.
  Here's what I don't understand... recruits not coming because the recruiter leaves *even if* they think MD will be better with the new coaching staff... is that just because they're kids and don't know any better, or what?
Durkin said it himself in his introductory press conference, recruiting is all about relationships. If if you have built a relationship with the coach recruiting you, often over a period of years, and he leaves, then the relationship with the school is often broken.

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,395 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

It's because the kids often form a relationship and really like the guy that recruits them and want to play for that particular assistant or positional coach.

Everyone has their own priorities.

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

That sucks, he was one I really hoped Durkin could keep. He had the best Baltimore connections on the staff. Might mean Rahshaun Smith is out of the question now.
Listened to Keith Cavanaugh last night on a radio show and he seems to be under the assumption that the Edsal assistant coaches are still active but their contracts run out at the end of the month, so I am sure many will move on. It looks like Durkin is hiring guys for coaching talent but also, for their expertise in certain recruiting areas.  Baltimore already is accounted for, but some of this years targets may well go elsewhere, since their guys are gone on to other jobs. Short term pain, for long term gain.
I'm not aware of any Baltimore connections with the assistants that we know are staying. You're right though, Durkin needs to choose his own guys, independent of any recruit's decision, or even several of them.

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland football DL Chad Wilt won't return, per report

#27 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:14 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland football DL Chad Wilt won't return, per report

Not surprising due to the hiring of Mike London, but Wilt had a really nice few years here at Maryland. With all the injuries last season, the defensive line was actually pretty good. He was also a talented recruiter in the mid-west. He'll likely find his way onto a Big Ten coaching staff (likely in the same position - defensive line coach).

@BSLZackKiesel

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,710 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

Terrapin Times apparently reported that Gilman's HC Biff Poggi has been offered a position on the staff.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#29 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

Terrapin Times apparently reported that Gilman's HC Biff Poggi has been offered a position on the staff.

Love it. DJD is doing an all out blitz in recruiting.

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

Except for Cockerille and Goins MD never seemed to do well recruiting Gilman. I would have to think this will change that. Wonder what position he will coach.

EDIT: Wonder if this could also lead to the Terps flipping Ellison Jordan from PSU.

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

I bet Lox is gone. Two decommits the past 24 hours and now this. Totally okay though. I'm fine with the short term hit. We shouldn't be held hostage by a bunch of 17 year olds.

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

And from the What Goes Around Comes Around Dept:

Don Brown will replace DJ Durkin as Michigan's DC.

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:51 PM

I bet Lox is gone. Two decommits the past 24 hours and now this. Totally okay though. I'm fine with the short term hit. We shouldn't be held hostage by a bunch of 17 year olds.

Interestingly, the 2 decommits are both DBs, and Durkin offered 4 new DBs last week. While Locksley might have something to do with that, I'm thinking it might be that Durkin looks for something much different in his DBs than Edsall and staff did. TT said that it was no surprise that either Motley or Hill left.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

Worth noting that Haskins retweeted the kid from Bosco's tweet about decommitting. I'm done with the Haskins drama. If he doesn't want to play for his home state he can go be another nameless mercenary in Columbus.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#35 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

Worth noting that Haskins retweeted the kid from Bosco's tweet about decommitting. I'm done with the Haskins drama. If he doesn't want to play for his home state he can go be another nameless mercenary in Columbus.

THIS. I have no doubt that, if Haskins were to not come here, Durkin and his staff could find another high-quality QB in 2017. So that puts us a year behind. So be it.
@BSLZackKiesel

#36 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,131 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

The bigger picture is more important than Haskins. If Haskins doesn't want to potentially be a part of that, so be it. Personally, if I were Haskins, I'd be much more excited with what's going on in CP now than when I committed back when Edsall was the HC. 

I guess HS kids don't always think logically, though. 

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:50 PM

I don't have any issue with kids looking around and changing their minds, even after a "commitment", it's a big decision to make and that's what kids their age do. That said, when you anoint yourself as the leader of a so-called movement, rattling off a dozen or so names of people you claim will want to follow you, and then start waffling when things don't go exactly your way.....well, that is not a trait of someone who is prepared to lead.

I'm not going to shed tears over Haskins, we all knew in the back of our minds that this could happen when it became obvious there would be a regime change. But it would most certainly be a setback for the program. I have yet to hear Durkin connected to any QBs....obviously he it didn't make much sense to do so before you have an OC and before you know what Haskins will do, but it's probably too late in the game now to get someone for 2016. Even if they can get Grier he can't play next season. 2016 might be a lost cause offensively. Best case is that the O-line really develops and can be one of the top units when they plug in a new QB in 2017.

#38 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:51 PM

I don't know anything about Haskins except what people say here... but I do remember a few things about being his age... and about watching kids grow thru that age...

I'm surprised these kids don't flip-flop more than they do... they're not only young, they're also in demand... I'm kinda surprised they don't change their minds about twice per week...

ps:  Nothing wrong with him re-tweeting something somebody else said... that's not the same thing as threatening to bail...

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:56 PM

In general terms, I agree with the idea that any HS/college-aged kid has the right to change their mind. And, as I've said, my view all along on Haskins has been to not think too much about it until he's actually on campus.

On the other hand, he's the one that decided to push all of that DMV stuff, and wanted to be seen as the leader of a group coming to save the local school. So in his case I think criticism is a bit more fair than in most.

@DJ_McCann

#40 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:08 AM

In general terms, I agree with the idea that any HS/college-aged kid has the right to change their mind. And, as I've said, my view all along on Haskins has been to not think too much about it until he's actually on campus.

On the other hand, he's the one that decided to push all of that DMV stuff, and wanted to be seen as the leader of a group coming to save the local school. So in his case I think criticism is a bit more fair than in most.

Eh... it reminds me of AJ talking about being the team leader right at first, back when his OPS+ was 80-something...  and even before he did even that much...

The kid wants to be a leader, but he's still just a flaky kid... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=