#1 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

The Orioles already announced that they designated Zach Phillips for assignment to make space for Jim Thome on the 40-man roster. The next question, though, is who goes to make room on the 25-man roster?

http://baltimore.ori... ... p?c_id=bal

That is the current roster. Thirteen pitchers and twelve position players. Is it:

Steve Pearce? He seems like the most likely position candidate to me. He isn't getting as much playing time as one would think on a team with just three honest-to-goodness outfielders. He isn't a name, and while he looked pretty good in his limited time, the Orioles might rather see him in Norfolk in case of another injury.

Ryan Flaherty? He would be my personal choice. Right now, he simply isn't hitting enough to remain on the roster. He might be versatile, but only in filling a hole on the field while creating a new one in the lineup. Also, while Buck continues to play him there, he shows no aptitude as an outfielder.

Mark Reynolds? This would be the big surprise, as he is a veteran with a reputation. However, despite his on-base abilities even while struggling, he isn't hitting for power right now and that is most of his game. There is almost no chance of seeing him at third base the rest of the season, and there doesn't appear to be interest in moving him to the outfield, so his options are essentially as limited as Thome's.

Kevin Gregg? Ridding ourselves of Gregg (though he did a nice job today after the first batter) would make a lot of fans happy, as very few (if any) have forgiven him for last season, and he has offered very little reason for forgiveness outside of his silence. He is owed a lot of money, and is considered a "veteran presence", but maybe the team will consider that part expendable with Thome's even more-veteran presence coming into the clubhouse.

Dana Eveland or Tommy Hunter? I combine the two into one because, as they showed today, they appear to be essentially right- and left-handed versions of the same pitcher, and neither looks very good right now. Sending one of the two down will buy the Orioles an extra five days to make a decision on another pitcher, and at least Hunter has his option used and can go up or down as needed.

So, who is it? One of this motley group? Someone else? They just try and play with 26? What is the answer?

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,608 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'm going to go with Hunter.

#3 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

I'd send Eveland down. He's not a very serviceable pitcher. He's had a couple good showings, but I think the offenses he faced were just having bad days at those times.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

Gonzalez was scratched from his start today as well.

2 moves coming... Has to be 2 pitchers. My guess is Hunter to AAA and Gregg DFA'ed.

#5 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

And if it needs to be a position player, I think I'd cut Nick Johnson. Thome makes him pretty redundant.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#6 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

And if it needs to be a position player, I think I'd cut Nick Johnson. Thome makes him pretty redundant.

He's on the DL.

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,608 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'm going to go with Hunter.

Roch just tweeted that Hunter has been optioned to Norfolk.

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

Yeah, I would have guessed pitcher and we go back to a 4 man bench. Would not be surprised to see Gonzalez replace Eveland either.

#9 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:15 AM

Hunter is move #1. That's been announced.

I am thinking it's Eveland with the second move. But it could be Pearce now that Avery is starting every game and now that Davis is pretty much stuck in the OF until Markakis returns.

I really don't think they are going to DFA Gregg yet. And, while I'd be happy if they did, I don't think they have anything lined up in terms of trading Reynold quite yet. He's got to get hot first for him to have any value at all.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#10 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Avery optioned as of 11:30 AM..
@beginthebegin71

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,608 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

That's a little odd that they'd bring up Gonzalez 5 days prior to his start and send down X. What gives?

#12 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

I hope he enjoyed his lengthy stay.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#13 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

That's a little odd that they'd bring up Gonzalez 5 days prior to his start and send down X. What gives?

I think they are worried about the depth in the bullpen before Gonzalez gets his start. I wouldn't be surprised if Gonzalez is only up for bullpen depth, and then Tillman gets the next start.

-Walter Sobchak

#14 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,256 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

So does that mean we're back to a three man bench?

#15 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

It would certainly seem so for now.

-Walter Sobchak

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,608 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

I think they are worried about the depth in the bullpen before Gonzalez gets his start. I wouldn't be surprised if Gonzalez is only up for bullpen depth, and then Tillman gets the next start.

Yeah, I think you're right. I had it in my mind that Gonzalez would be up here starting, but obviously this move means he'll be used if needed in long relief. If he isn't needed prior to Thursday, we could still see him start that game I bet. I guess we'll see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=